UConn @ Kansas St, Dec 11 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Kansas St, Dec 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What else do we know about next year's schedule?
Games against ND, Baylor, Stanford, So Car ? UCLA? Nebraska?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I believe it currently looks something like the following (with Charlie's Pre-Season 2016-2017 ranking predictions):

Home
No. 3 South Carolina
No. 5 Baylor
No. 6 Texas (at Mohegan Sun Arena)
No. 8 Ohio State
No. 21 DePaul
Chattanooga

Away
No. 1 Notre Dame
No. 7 Maryland
No. 15 Florida State
Kansas State
LSU
Nebraska

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Does anyone happen to know what the ruling is on how many OOC you are allowed and if your exhibition games count towards those? Also, Is there a ruling on how many "secret scrimmages" you can have with other Division I teams as well?

Reaction Score
Thank you so much for this info. Am stranded in Kansas City for another year and yearning to see a UConn game in person. Knew they'd be doing 3 trips to the area next season and knew for certain I'd be be ready to shell out a bit for best seats available. So, after reading your post, I contacted K-State ticket office. Told the young woman it was UConn in December. She said they only had UConn in November. I cheerfully corrected her and said she was looking at last year's schedule. As she began scrolling and pecking she asked where I'd gotten the December 11 date. "The Boneyard. So I know it's right." Yup she said...call back when tickets go on sale in September !

Reaction Score
Another cream puff schedule before getting down to the tough league competition....
I know right? Would love to play a cream puff conference schedule of the ACC or SEC.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I know right? Would love to play a cream puff conference schedule of the ACC or SEC.

. . . or the Big Ten or the Big 12 - not so sure about the Pac-10 any more.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does anyone happen to know what the ruling is on how many OOC you are allowed and if your exhibition games count towards those? Also, Is there a ruling on how many "secret scrimmages" you can have with other Division I teams as well?
Not sure what the ruling is on pre-season games and or scrimmages, but the OOC is specifically determined by the in conference schedule - there is just a maximum number of games you are allowed to schedule - it is 29 total or 27 total including an in-season tournament that may include three or more games. I don't think there has been an in season tournament with more than 4 games - 27 + 4 + 3 + 6 = 40 game season for a championship squad. More common in season tournaments are 3 games.

So the OOC is whatever your conference schedules subtracted from the 29 or 27 plus i-s tournament games

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I believe it was pushed an additional year on top of the original pushing of one year.

Reaction Score
I believe it currently looks something like the following (with Charlie's Pre-Season 2016-2017 ranking predictions):

Home
No. 3 South Carolina
No. 5 Baylor
No. 8 Ohio State
No. 21 DePaul
Chattanooga

Away
No. 1 Notre Dame
No. 7 Maryland
No. 15 Florida State
Kansas State
LSU
Nebraska

Plus Dayton at home.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
So I just had a thought looking at the schedule. So UConn plays pretty much the entire Top 10 with the exception of itself and 2 other teams, this isn't really out of the norm for them they generally have already played whatever team they are going to likely meet in the FF by the time they get there anyway. So why is it that some fans of other teams in other conferences live in this world where beating the #13 or #16 or #21 teams twice or 3 times is more valuable or believed to be harder then beating the #2 & #4 & #7 & #3 & #11 & #20 once? What does it matter if you played them in conference or out? I do not get the logic? What value is beating the same team over and over (the same team that doesn't have a shot @ getting to the FF) how is that more beneficial? Why the puffing of the chest about the conferences? To me it makes no difference. At the end of the year the top tier teams have all played the exact same number of ranked teams give or take a game or two for those who unexpectedly or "expectedly in some cases" bow out early in the NCAA tournament.

I have heard a number of arguments but the one that really makes me mad is:
- UConn players are more rested because of their schedule.

That to me is the retort of a person who has no idea what they are talking about. Either they are legally blind of do not know the first thing about women's college basketball. To say that, either means you think the UConn coaching staff lets their players take the day off vs unranked opponents (yet still somehow manage to get better over the course of the year and magically are in great shape and running on all cylinders by the time they play your team) or that you think your own team is so very very tired that they would allow themselves, their fans, and their coaching staff to be embarrassed on national television purposefully. C'mon now... let's get real. There's maybe one or two other teams that could play UConn's schedule and have similar margins of victory and W/L records... and I say again maybe.

The points they put up break down to more than just the competition:
20%- Competition.
20%- Talent.
40%- Coaching.
20%- Effort. ***UConn's not so secret weapon***

I guess what I am trying to say is... When talent doesn't work hard... hard work has a chance to beat talent all day every day (We all saw Baylor, SCar, and Notre Dame not meet expectations @ the end of the season). If UConn didn't put in the effort that they do they would likely still win a lot of games but it wouldn't be as definitively as they currently do.... REGARDLESS of the the schedule. Opposing fans either can't or won't admit that.

Reaction Score
It's because in conference games are supposedly so much tougher unless that conference is the AAC. Tennessee and South Carolina fans for example claim we don't get beat up during the conference schedule, but that's really an SEC thing where you win ball games 52-44 and 50 fouls are called. It does not matter what conference UConn is in: we will treat you and beat you like the red-headed step-children that you are.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nuyoika - with the break up of the BE, the initial talking point for announcers was how the dreadfully weak (once Rutgers and Louisville also left) conference schedule was going to give Uconn no decent competition and they would get into the NCAAs and be surprised and unprepared for really strong teams that could challenge them - a few 50+ blow-outs later and three NCs has no changed the talking point at least for fans to 'since they have no real competition in conference they can rest their weary starters, do not need to push players who are dealing with nagging injuries, etc' and therefore they come into the NCAAs both healthy and well rested.

The idea being that while the OOC is nice and strong, all of that is finished by the end of December except for a single game in late January or early Feb, and they are just coasting for the last two months of the season while the really good teams are fighting physical demanding conference mates and beating up on each other.

Pointing out that in the last two NCAAs the #2 team in the SEC and the Big12 suffered humiliating losses to Uconn does little to change their preconceived ideas.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Nuyoika - with the break up of the BE, the initial talking point for announcers was how the dreadfully weak (once Rutgers and Louisville also left) conference schedule was going to give Uconn no decent competition and they would get into the NCAAs and be surprised and unprepared for really strong teams that could challenge them - a few 50+ blow-outs later and three NCs has no changed the talking point at least for fans to 'since they have no real competition in conference they can rest their weary starters, do not need to push players who are dealing with nagging injuries, etc' and therefore they come into the NCAAs both healthy and well rested.

The idea being that while the OOC is nice and strong, all of that is finished by the end of December except for a single game in late January or early Feb, and they are just coasting for the last two months of the season while the really good teams are fighting physical demanding conference mates and beating up on each other.

Pointing out that in the last two NCAAs the #2 team in the SEC and the Big12 suffered humiliating losses to Uconn does little to change their preconceived ideas.
To believe all those things would just be foolish though. Wouldn't it? I just can't see someone who genuinely took the time to watch all the top teams play good teams & bad teams that you would truly believe they are more rested that's why they win like they do. They are certainly more prepared 99.9% of the time but that comes down to coaching... not how many minutes they play per game or competition. That's why UConn can lose a starter averaging double digits in her first NCAA tourney the game before the championship and still win the title by 30+... they were ready and expecting to win. They knew their coaching staff had prepared them for everything.

Reaction Score
To believe all those things would just be foolish though. Wouldn't it? I just can't see someone who genuinely took the time to watch all the top teams play good teams & bad teams that you would truly believe they are more rested that's why they win like they do. They are certainly more prepared 99.9% of the time but that comes down to coaching... not how many minutes they play per game or competition. That's why UConn can lose a starter averaging double digits in her first NCAA tourney the game before the championship and still win the title by 30+... they were ready and expecting to win. They knew their coaching staff had prepared them for everything.
Fans of other teams and some of the Uconn fans will believe what they shall believe--rightly or wrong.
The "starter" who averaged double digits , being out, would not impact the score because Uconn had 3 top scorers and 3 decent scorers to fill any void. Often times WBB teams (men too) play so many minutes coming into the NCAA's they have weary legs--Geno had the luxury to rest his top 3 often and in the NCAA' s (but not as much). That, along with excellent conditioning and exquisite talent was a factor in winning the NC 4 times..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Home
No. 3 South Carolina
No. 5 Baylor
No. 8 Ohio State
No. 21 DePaul
Chattanooga

Away
No. 1 Notre Dame
No. 7 Maryland
No. 15 Florida State
Kansas State
LSU
Nebraska
Such a weak assed OOC schedule. The critics are right and next season is a set up for another undefeated season for a team ruining the sport.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Also the critics fail to note that the margins of The UCONN victories in OOC and in the NCAA's, which are OOC games themselves, are virtually the same. Clearly it doesn'the matter what time of the year The UCONN plays the better P5 teams.

Reaction Score
Schedule item #2 - Texas game on Dec 4th.

Dec 04 -- Texas vs UConn at Mohegan Sun
Dec 11 -- UConn at Kansas St

Dates TBA:

Home
No. 3 South Carolina
No. 5 Baylor
No. 8 Ohio State
No. 21 DePaul
Chattanooga

Away
No. 1 Notre Dame
No. 7 Maryland