UConn just beat the whole world in basketball..... | The Boneyard

UConn just beat the whole world in basketball.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Shooters.jpg

Five UConn players played basketball this summer and beat Brasil, Sweden, Australia, Russia, France, Canada, Japan, Czech Republic, China, Mali, Netherlands and Lithuania. Ok, I admit the five played on two different teams and there were many other USA players who made significant contributions. But, each of the UConn five started every game and dominated in almost every statistical category. And these were not away games in Texas or Florida, they were "around the world" away games in Russia and Lithuania.

Each USA team had 12 players on the roster, making for 24 possible spots. UConn placed 5 starters on the two rosters, even though they left All-American center Stefanie Dolson home recovering from leg injuries. Duke and Tennessee each had 2 players while perennial powers Baylor, Louisville, Oklahoma and California had only 1 each. Penn State, Nebraska, Central Michigan and LSU also had 1 player on one of the teams. Six high school players were on the younger team. Consider that UConn placed 55% of their 9 players for this upcoming season on the two USA travel teams.

In Russia, the older Team USA had to beat the home Russians to win the Gold medal. They won by 19 points. For the tournament, USA went 6-0 and UConn dominated the important statistics. Usually, the best players play the most minutes and score the most points. Hartley and KML were 1st and 2nd in minutes (KML 150, Bria 143) and 1st and 2nd in points (Bria 81, KML 78). KML was first in rebounds (41). Hartley was second in assists (20). Both KML and Bria tied for 1st with nine 3 pt baskets made. They also finished 2nd and 3rd in steals. In all fairness, Odyssey Sims from Baylor was 1st in assists, 1st in steals and third in scoring. She played extremely well, but that does not detract from UConn's overwhelming statistical edge.

The younger USA team went 9-0 and played in Lithuania. Stewie, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson also started all the games they appeared in on the Gold medal winner. Their statistical domination was just as impressive as KML and Hartley. Stewie (223) and Tuck (207) led the team in minutes played. They finished 1st (Stewie w/ 152) and 2nd (Tuck w/ 118) in scoring. Stewie led the team in 3's made with 14 (58%) and free throws made with 26 (90%). Tuck led the team in steals w/ 19 and Stewie was 2nd in rebounds, steals and blocked shots. MoJeff led the team in assist/turnover ratio w/ 31 assists vs only 9 turnovers. She played superb defense and was also the team's motivational leader. Tuck was voted Captain, an incredible honor.

Final record, 15-0 with 2 Gold medals. UConn scored 461 points for an average of 60.1 pts per game. Ok, they didn't beat the world all by themselves, but they could have..... Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
The Huskies contributed nicely the the gold medals. But it is unfair to the other kids on Team USA who worked hard just to make the team and sacrificed their summer to play for their country. It should always be a team win....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post but just FYI - MoJeff was held out of one game because of her hand/wrist injury so she only started 8 games. Interestingly - in the semis and finals she played the second most minutes to Stewarts - 31, MoJeff - 27.
And I agree that TEAM USA was a lot more than Uconn in both competitions. I thought Graves was immense today on the defensive end controlling Gaye - she was the only USA post who could physically stand up to her. And her rebounding was huge. Jones and Harper both frustrated me a bit on the offensive end as I thought they did not keep the offense moving very well, but defensively they were solid. Coffey, Green, Wilson, and Turner all had their moments in more limited action. And Plum and Agee didn't see enough time to really evaluate - I thought Agee could have been useful against Gaye - not sure if the injury was still a concern, or if she just had not been able to be truly integrated into the lineup after the injury.

Reaction Score
Who is the player between Stewie and Tuck?
Is it Wilson?
It is Graves from TN who played very very well! She actually played the Center position as Stewie and Tuck played the 3 and 4 so she had to guard the tallest player on the other team and held her own!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Graves was extremely valuable for this team, she did most of the dirty work down low. Lady Vols are going to be dominant in the paint if Mercedes Russell is as good as advertised.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It is Graves from TN who played very very well! She actually played the Center position as Stewie and Tuck played the 3 and 4 so she had to guard the tallest player on the other team and held her own!

Graves was strong inside - I thought Wilson, with her greater length, was more effective playing straight-up against the FRA bigs today. She doesn't have to try and root them out, she can just play tough them even if they do get deep position on her. She is very good inside especially for one so young. Remember she is 16 while Bash and Stewie are 19.

She will be very very good at the D1 level !!!

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
UcMiami...ur right, corrected.
Good....I get ur point.....of course it is a team victory, the second sentence acknowledges the other players "significant" contributions. Later the post mentions how well Sims played. It concludes w/ the admission it wasn't all UConn.....geez, can we revel in how well the UConn kids played for just a little while..? They certainly contributed more than "nicely"....true?
Dtb and Wbb...Graves was awesome, absolutely..!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There were also possible UConn recruits who played for Team USA in the FIBA U16 tournament in Mexico in June. There also may be some UConn players and UConn recruits who might play for Team USA in the U18- 3x3 Tournament in September.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UcMiami...ur right, corrected.
Good....I get ur point.....of course it is a team victory, the second sentence acknowledges the other players "significant" contributions. Later the post mentions how well Sims played. It concludes w/ the admission it wasn't all UConn.....geez, can we revel in how well the UConn kids played for just a little while..? They certainly contributed more than "nicely"....true?
Dtb and Wbb...Graves was awesome, absolutely..!
Hey - I said nice post, I do rejoice in the Uconn contingent performing so well!
But I was also agreeing with the first responder and being more specific about today's game regarding the rest of the team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Graves was strong inside - I thought Wilson, with her greater length, was more effective playing straight-up against the FRA bigs today. She doesn't have to try and root them out, she can just play tough them even if they do get deep position on her. She is very good inside especially for one so young. Remember she is 16 while Bash and Stewie are 19.

She will be very very good at the D1 level !!!
Agree that she has a few years to mature physically - I thought in both this game and the semi-final she was being a bit manhandled by the older stronger posts for FRA and AUS. In two years I expect that will have changed and she will truly be a beast - this has to have been a really good developmental experience for her, not just the games but also practicing with Graves, Tuck, Turner, and Stewart.
I wish we could have actually seen some of the earlier games where she was putting up big numbers.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Hey - I said nice post, I do rejoice in the Uconn contingent performing so well!
But I was also agreeing with the first responder and being more specific about today's game regarding the rest of the team.

UcMiami....the first post was from "Goodgood"...I shortened it to "good", so only the first line of my response was to you. My griping was to "good".... Sorry for the confusion..... I agree w/ Graves performance being great and the team victory.... We cool....:)

Reaction Score
UcMiami....the first post was from "Goodgood"...I shortened it to "good", so only the first line of my response was to you. My griping was to "good".... Sorry for the confusion..... I agree w/ Graves performance being great and the team victory.... We cool....:)

You talkin' to me? You want a piece of me?
The title was over the top. I am sure it wasn't meant that way, but it was just a bit pretentious, imho.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Goodgood....we cool too... I agree on the team thing...it was meant to be pretentious and over the top....relax...no wedgies at recess....:)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
View attachment 3299

Five UConn players played basketball this summer and beat Brasil, Sweden, Australia, Russia, France, Canada, Japan, Czech Republic, China, Mali, Netherlands and Lithuania. Ok, I admit the five played on two different teams and there were many other USA players who made significant contributions. But, each of the UConn five started every game and dominated in almost every statistical category. And these were not away games in Texas or Florida, they were "around the world" away games in Russia and Lithuania.

Each USA team had 12 players on the roster, making for 24 possible spots. UConn placed 5 starters on the two rosters, even though they left All-American center Stefanie Dolson home recovering from leg injuries. Duke and Tennessee each had 2 players while perennial powers Baylor, Louisville, Oklahoma and California had only 1 each. Penn State, Nebraska, Central Michigan and LSU also had 1 player on one of the teams. Six high school players were on the younger team. Consider that UConn placed 55% of their 9 players for this upcoming season on the two USA travel teams.

In Russia, the older Team USA had to beat the home Russians to win the Gold medal. They won by 19 points. For the tournament, USA went 6-0 and UConn dominated the important statistics. Usually, the best players play the most minutes and score the most points. Hartley and KML were 1st and 2nd in minutes (KML 150, Bria 143) and 1st and 2nd in points (Bria 81, KML 78). KML was first in rebounds (41). Hartley was second in assists (20). Both KML and Bria tied for 1st with nine 3 pt baskets made. They also finished 2nd and 3rd in steals. In all fairness, Odyssey Sims from Baylor was 1st in assists, 1st in steals and third in scoring. She played extremely well, but that does not detract from UConn's overwhelming statistical edge.

The younger USA team went 9-0 and played in Lithuania. Stewie, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson also started all the games they appeared in on the Gold medal winner. Their statistical domination was just as impressive as KML and Hartley. Stewie (223) and Tuck (207) led the team in minutes played. They finished 1st (Stewie w/ 152) and 2nd (Tuck w/ 118) in scoring. Stewie led the team in 3's made with 14 (58%) and free throws made with 26 (90%). Tuck led the team in steals w/ 19 and Stewie was 2nd in rebounds, steals and blocked shots. MoJeff led the team in assist/turnover ratio w/ 31 assists vs only 9 turnovers. She played superb defense and was also the team's motivational leader. Tuck was voted Captain, an incredible honor.

Final record, 15-0 with 2 Gold medals. UConn scored 461 points for an average of 60.1 pts per game. Ok, they didn't beat the world all by themselves, but they could have..... Go Huskies..!!
great post - we're Husky fans!!! There was no dis respect meant IMHO - was able to watch most of both tournament games. Thera was an air of veteran confidence, poise and a swagger about all of them!!! There was certainly greatness around them too!!! And future greatness! Odyssey was great. The girl from Central Michigan is Cheney Og with much better range/outside shooting. Brianna Turner will be a star! Linnae Harper and Alexis Jones are stars also! But we have another team for the ages!!!
Our 3 star freshman already look like they have made the huge sophomore leap!

HGN

Reaction Score
The UConn Husky reps may not have beaten the whole world , but they beat enough of the world to be considered the Best- In- The- Business right now.

5-Reps , 5-Starters , 5-Golds......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog