UConn is so much better than how they played today. | The Boneyard

UConn is so much better than how they played today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
This is not the end of the season. This is a totally new team that will have growing pains and this was one of them. We are better than how we played today; Purvis, Adams and Gibbs could not finish anything in the lane or at the rim, they normally can. Brimah missed a lot of rebounds, but what upset me the most was seeing all those passes go through his hands. If he catches 2 of those, we win this game. If we make a few more free throws, we win the game. If the duck*ing freedom of movement rules weren't ruining college basketball, we could have won the game. If Miller rebounds Cooney's heave at the end, it could have started a fast break and we get a shot off. Look, some weaknesses got exposed today, but we have one talented basketball team that will hopefully give Gonzaga's guards fits tomorrow. We just need to rebound and defend the rim against their bigs. It's a long season, and we have a lot more quality win opportunities. Dont sulk on today, because we have an even bigger game in 12 hours. See you in the morning Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
Oh yes definitely. If we play this same Syracuse team in March, there's no way they're beating us. We are better than them. They just played a better game. We have a good season ahead of us.

Reaction Score
It's a case where too many key players played poorly in the same game. Purvis, Brimah, and Gibbs simply either didn't shoot the J well or didn't finish around the basket. Give SU some credit. Their length had something to do with it.

I'm not too worried about Purvis or Gibbs. They will have many more good games compared to bad ones. Brimah on the other hand concerns me. He is still making some of the same mistakes he made last year. He often does not square his body to the basket when trying to score. He's often at bad angles, off balance and rushing his shots. He's clearly not strong enough either to handle the traffic and contact under the basket. I still think he can be a good offensive post player, but he needs some coaching up still and a ton of work in the weight room. I'm just not sure has the body type to be able to pack on some more bulk and strength, hopefully there is some room there to develop some between now and next season. In the meantime if someone can just work with him to get him to square his shoulders in frame to the basket and go up strong instead of these crazy off balance shots he takes, that will go a long way in him being a more productive player this season. At least that's my observation.

Hopefully they can bounce back and have a nice win against number 10 Gonzaga. Wins against Michigan and Gonzaga and a loss to Syracuse is still not a bad three day stretch. I know we're all disappointed, I certainly am, but this team will be a work in progress. Even though they brought in two talented grad transfers, the team still needs to develop some chemistry and learn to play at a high level on a consistent basis.

If they had simply hit most of their foul shots in the first half and finished off some very makeable shots, they would have had a much larger margin for error and would have had a good shot at finding off Syracuse today. They're a much better team than they show today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky
Top Bottom