UConn is going nowhere | The Boneyard

UConn is going nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We need to stop with the silliness about football independence. UConn is where it is. It isn't the SEC or Big 10, but we need to hope that NBC can still be brought to the table for a reasonable deal so that UConn's athletic program will have sufficient income to keep coaches and be competitive.

I would replace Notre Dame with Butler in hoops.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We'll slot into the ACC when UNC, Virginia, VTech, Maryland, FSU and Clemson leave. When did you say it would happen?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We need to stop with the silliness about football independence. UConn is where it is. It isn't the SEC or Big 10, but we need to hope that NBC can still be brought to the table for a reasonable deal so that UConn's athletic program will have sufficient income to keep coaches and be competitive.

I would replace Notre Dame with Butler in hoops.

Good God. Why on earth do we want even more hoops teams? Can't we cut St. Johns loose instead?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Would like to cut the likes of Providence, Marquette, etc.

Today could be a good day for UConn 20 years from now, if ND decides to join the ACC permanently. The lawsuit anger would have cooled entirely by then. Again though, ND isn't ever losing its independence and CFB needs Notre Dame to be eligible for the play-offs, independent or not. The ACC got the best deal they could have possibly gotten.

15 makes no sense from a basketball-scheduling perspective. It's entirely possible the ACC offers UConn the same deal they gave ND, but I'm not convinced football independence would work out for us. We'd save the basketball programs though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thats gotta be a joke. how would md ever let gtown go to the acc. nova is the add if any. phili mk an possible fball upgrade 1 day when they grow some balls and not a soccer stadium.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
thats gotta be a joke. how would md ever let gtown go to the acc. nova is the add if any. phili mk an possible fball upgrade 1 day when they grow some balls and not a soccer stadium.

I don't see it with either one, but if there is one, it would be GTown. Prestige. Ignore it at your peril. I think the ACC would almost be happy to cut FSU and NCST loose, to add UConn and Rutgers. Then they'd have a "Ivy League Light".

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Let's all watch the ACC presser at 12:30!

Maybe we'll get some hints...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't see it with either one, but if there is one, it would be GTown. Prestige. Ignore it at your peril. I think the ACC would almost be happy to cut FSU and NCST loose, to add UConn and Rutgers. Then they'd have a "Ivy League Light".

wouldn't it be nova for bball. they have almost as much p&t. they also with the acc's help could figure out a upgrade thats a actual upgrade and not a lego set with a 1st grader. hell i hope nova and gtown both go to the acc and upgrade fball. it makes me feel better that 20 years from now bc/cuse/pitt/duke/wake/miami can be happy together.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What the hell would NBC offer for this conference now?

You should change your tagline to #dreamharder if you believe that there is any relevant money coming the Big East's way in contract negotiations.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't see the ACC expanding at all. There is no need for an even number of basketball playing members. UConn is certainly stuck where it is for now. The only hope for a new home is the B12 if they can't get anyone from the ACC to bite. I personally would love to head to the B12 with Louisville, Rutgers, and Cinci. I just don't see it actually happening.

Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment that the ACC doesn't need anymore schools. Why push out another share? (except to really decimate the Big East ... one more time)

And NBC? I hope Aresco is good.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This shouldn't affect the FB tv deal, in spite of how we feel about it today. It does affect the MBB team in the long run unless you think the catholics will return to their former glory, I don't.

By losing Su, Pitt, WVa, and now ND, the BE can no longer claim to be the best BB conference. The days of 10 bids are over. After years of mocking the ACC as a two team league, they now have the middle depth they never had. Today hurts BB more than FB, which only lost a little hope.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This shouldn't affect the FB tv deal, in spite of how we feel about it today.

In the midst of my emotional breakdown this morning after hearing the news, I thought long and hard about the very same statement that you have posed. That is to say, "What is the ultimate ramification to the tv contract deal?" Let's be honest, that's really all that matters in terms of exposure of a program and the opportunity to exceed; the money from the tv contract.

After thinking long and hard about that, the question can really only be answered by asking the follow-up question, "Does NBC believe that they will hold onto the Notre Dame football contract?" If so, then the value of the new tv contract should only change marginally, since the idea of bracketing ND football with BE games is still alive and well. If not, then it could be disastrous for the BE. NBC may feel that it would no longer pursue college football products, leaving ESPN to give us the scraps off of a rotten bone.

I wonder if we'll learn the answer to the above questions in the next couple of weeks...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment that the ACC doesn't need anymore schools. Why push out another share? (except to really decimate the Big East ... one more time)

And NBC? I hope Aresco is good.

The ONLY way it makes sense is if they think they're devaluing the Big East and that it will mean more money for them into the future. Why add one more mouth to feed unless you think (or you know) that you are going to get a pay day out of it. "Prestige" doesn't equal dollars. How long until ESPN announces another "extension" to their contract with the ACC?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In FB terms, this move only devalues an NBC led BCS bowl that would host the BE champ or ND if not in the playoff.

Frankly, that's still on the table, ND would have to fill the other side of it as an at-large.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You should change your tagline to #dreamharder if you believe that there is any relevant money coming the Big East's way in contract negotiations.

The Dude: Hey, no, come on, Walter. We're ending this thing cheap, man.
Walter Sobchak: No, what's mine is mine.
Nihilist: No funny shtuff.
The Dude: Alright, alright, I've got four dollars, almost five...
Donny: Hey, I got eighteen dollars.
Walter Sobchak: What's mine is mine.
Nihilist: We you ups, man. We takes the money.
Walter Sobchak: Come and get it.

Reaction Score
Every MOVE the Big ACC has made (see how I grafted that onto the former name?) has been in lockstep with ESPN. And ... it often has had several purposes. One of which has commonly been to kill the Big East (with BC as cheerleader). Another, has been to jump into a different contractual mode with ESPN in order to change the economics of their contract.

Bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1