UConn Iowa observations | The Boneyard

UConn Iowa observations

Reaction Score
Cobb is the only one on the entire team who showed up, everyone else gets an F. From the opening tip we had no focus or energy, there are certainly some bad takeaways but for the most part I think it's just one of those games you throw in the garbage and move on from. It's just one of those nights.

I'm not going to let this gross game spoil how we looked in our first 3 but this will walk back the over the top talk today about how great our talent is, it's not. We have two major talents who played terribly tonight but that's it, the other guys are complimentary guys with some serious flaws right now. We have to outwork everyone and play with focus to win games.

My worries going forward are Carlton and to a lesser extent Polley. Against any froncourt with size and some athleticsm he gets tossed around like Bambi. The fact that he's our only option at center scares the hell out of me but nothing we can really do about it this year. We desperately need Kofi, he would get 30 minutes for us right now if he was in shape. Polley has shooting ability but he got destroyed by Cook and probably will against other small forwards with some strength and athleticism. Sid is also a stringbean but on a different level athletically than Polley. We simply need him to help out at small forward. I really hope Diarra can get healthy and give us something because Yakwe shouldn't see the floor on any team that has plans of making the tournament. Cobb needs to be a starter.

Reaction Score
Well I guess the thing for me is, when the score was like 34-16...last year Uconn in the same situation absolutely goes on to lose by at least 35 (and being down by as many as 40). At least this year after going down 22 early in the second half it could have gone verrrry south, 40 points down like last year...but, at least they sort of cut into the lead and got it down to 13 at a few different points late in the game, I guess? That is around +20 over last years likely result....trying to put a positive spin on this...

Reaction Score
My worries going forward are Carlton and to a lesser extent Polley. Against any froncourt with size and some athleticsm he gets tossed around like Bambi. The fact that he's our only option at center scares the hell out of me but nothing we can really do about it this year. We desperately need Kofi, he would get 30 minutes for us right now if he was in shape. Polley has shooting ability but he got destroyed by Cook and probably will against other small forwards with some strength and athleticism. Sid is also a stringbean but on a different level athletically than Polley. We simply need him to help out at small forward. I really hope Diarra can get healthy and give us something because Yakwe shouldn't see the floor on any team that has plans of making the tournament. Cobb needs to be a starter.

Completely agree with this take on the frontcourt. We need to land stud big recruits this year and next.

The KO recruits -- Carlton and Polley -- are soft. Yakwe isn't a high-major player, just a hair better than Onuorah. Whaley and Williams aren't good enough for this level either.

Cobb has been a revelation, but unfortunately he's not going to be here next year. Our relevance over the next 2-3 years will hinge tremendously on whether we get Cockburn or Akok.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with this take on the frontcourt. We need to land stud big recruits this year and next.

The KO recruits -- Carlton and Polley -- are soft. Yakwe isn't a high-major player, just a hair better than Onuorah. Whaley and Williams aren't good enough for this level either.

Cobb has been a revelation, but unfortunately he's not going to be here next year. Our relevance over the next 2-3 years will hinge tremendously on whether we get Cockburn or Akok.
Totally agree, they are the difference between us having a solid/good but flawed team and having possibly a great team.

Reaction Score

Yakwe shows nothing so far

Reaction Score
Tonight was a quick reminder that a rebuild doesn't happen instantly. Between the mental fatigue from last night to having no legs(short on everything) to some of the worst officiating I have seen in some time, Iowa was an uphill battle from the opening whistle. The main negative is some of the warts from last year resurfaced, primarily no ball movement on the offensive end, forced shots, and unacceptable turnovers. The main positive was the boys showed a lot of heart until the end and never gave up fighting. Tonight was a loss on our record but a win for the Hurley culture. Our backcourt can compete with most teams in the country. Simply put, our front court can not. Cobb has been great and Carlton has shown promise, but no one else really belongs. Polley is not strong enough and Yakwe simply doesn't have the talent to play at this level.

Reaction Score
Tonight was a quick reminder that a rebuild doesn't happen instantly. Between the mental fatigue from last night to having no legs(short on everything) to some of the worst officiating I have seen in some time, Iowa was an uphill battle from the opening whistle. The main negative is some of the warts from last year resurfaced, primarily no ball movement on the offensive end, forced shots, and unacceptable turnovers. The main positive was the boys showed a lot of heart until the end and never gave up fighting. Tonight was a loss on our record but a win for the Hurley culture. Our backcourt can compete with most teams in the country. Simply put, our front court can not. Cobb has been great and Carlton has shown promise, but no one else really belongs. Polley is not strong enough and Yakwe simply doesn't have the talent to play at this level.
Frascilla not knowing anyone on our team or how to say vital right was just salt in the wound. And people complain about Doris?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom