Uconn Insider Podcast | The Boneyard

Uconn Insider Podcast

Reaction Score
It's free to listen to -- I did yesterday on the Apple Podcast app. They basically recapped the last month, usually something revelatory comes out of these but this was a pretty straight recap with the added bonus of describing the current sentiments of the fanbase

Reaction Score
It's free to listen to -- I did yesterday on the Apple Podcast app. They basically recapped the last month, usually something revelatory comes out of these but this was a pretty straight recap with the added bonus of describing the current sentiments of the fanbase

That's the irony of a "Uconn Insider Podcast." Our beat writers have no more inside information or information around the team than a lot of the people on this board.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you listened to the A Dime Back podcast where they had Rob Dauster on, you would know why

DingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDing

Reaction Score
i havent but am now, its actually a lot more enjoyable than what I was expecting

Meant to have a nicer tone the way I said that before but yes it was probably the most enlightening conversation I heard about National Media's perception of the program. We get mad when Goodman, Dauster, Rothstein dump on the program but they have every reason to at this point and it comes from a place of expecting better from UConn as they should.

I have been and am still incredibly aggravated from listening to the conversation that Ollie shuts off the program to the world thereby limiting exposure of the program, even though the thing the program needs badly being in the AAC is exposure.

It had been discussed on here how bad he is at selling the program but the way it was illustrated by Dauster made it a lot more real and how marketing a program can be important, particularly if you are trying to send kids to the NBA. My big takeaway from the podcast: he is doing these kids a disservice for reasons unknown.

Reaction Score
Meant to have a nicer tone the way I said that before but yes it was probably the most enlightening conversation I heard about National Media's perception of the program. We get mad when Goodman, Dauster, Rothstein dump on the program but they have every reason to at this point and it comes from a place of expecting better from UConn as they should.

I have been and am still incredibly aggravated from listening to the conversation that Ollie shuts off the program to the world thereby limiting exposure of the program, even though the thing the program needs badly being in the AAC is exposure.

It had been discussed on here how bad he is at selling the program but the way it was illustrated by Dauster made it a lot more real and how marketing a program can be important, particularly if you are trying to send kids to the NBA. My big takeaway from the podcast: he is doing these kids a disservice for reasons unknown.

Yeah, I havent finished it yet but not letting anyone in during practices, keep the media distant. Doesnt make sense, unless there is so much turmoil going on, he doesnt want anyone to see it and is trying to shield us.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

This is depressing. What doesn’t this guy suck at nowadays?

Reaction Score
This is depressing. What doesn’t this guy suck at nowadays?

I'm sorry I don't mean to be such a downer. To counteract the negativity, I think people are underrating how good Larrier is on the offensive end, Whaley is a solid 4, and the layup package Adams sports at the rim is Kyrie-esque (don't ask for my opinion on his outside shot). Oh and while I've called for Ollie's job a billion times, I am intrigued by what kind of recruits Chill would bring in long term.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I don't mean to be such a downer. To counteract the negativity, I think people are underrating how good Larrier is on the offensive end, Whaley is a solid 4, and the layup package Adams sports at the rim is Kyrie-esque (don't ask for my opinion on his outside shot). Oh and while I've called for Ollie's job a billion times, I am intrigued by what kind of recruits Chill would bring in long term.
Hopefully we’re watching Hurley (or another good coach) coach these kids next year, for their sake and ours.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
That's the irony of a "Uconn Insider Podcast." Our beat writers have no more inside information or information around the team than a lot of the people on this board.

Only if you are on superjohns pm list

Reaction Score
Hopefully we’re watching Hurley (or another good coach) coach these kids next year, for their sake and ours.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to want anymore. The on-court performance is pathetic, but I think there is enough talent on the roster currently and coming in next year. However, there would be significant upheaval removing Ollie from a roster standpoint (not a reason alone to keep him but just stating a fact). He's also an alumnus, has a National Championship, and seems like a good dude.

I don't think there's a scenario where a Hurley, Pikiell whoever comes in and is coaching a starting lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Wilson, Whaley, Carlton with Akinjo/Vital off the bench because that's a lineup that should make the NCAA Tournament.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don't even know what I'm supposed to want anymore. The on-court performance is pathetic, but I think there is enough talent on the roster currently and coming in next year. However, there would be significant upheaval removing Ollie from a roster standpoint (not a reason alone to keep him but just stating a fact). He's also an alumnus, has a National Championship, and seems like a good dude.

I don't think there's a scenario where a Hurley, Pikiell whoever comes in and is coaching a starting lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Wilson, Whaley, Carlton with Akinjo/Vital off the bench because that's a lineup that should make the NCAA Tournament.
Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Facey, Brimah sounds just as good (or close) and they managed to lose to Wagner with Ollie. I’d rather just make the change. Turnover will surely happen, but I’m sick of the “next year we’ll have enough talent to overcome our coach” mindset.

We’ve said the bolded part after 2015, 2017, and would again after March 2018. 2016 was worse than projected too, albeit not “pathetic” by any means. At some point though, we need to change the record and not listen to the same old song.

Reaction Score
Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Facey, Brimah sounds just as good (or close) and they managed to lose to Wagner with Ollie. I’d rather just make the change. Turnover will surely happen, but I’m sick of the “next year we’ll have enough talent to overcome our coach” mindset.

We’ve said the bolded part after 2015, 2017, and would again after March 2018. 2016 was worse than projected too, albeit not “pathetic” by any means. At some point though, we need to change the record and not listen to the same old song.

And that's the exact problem. We gave a pass for 2014-15 because they won a natty and put up a good fight to the end. 2015-16 underachieved all season and lost to a good Kansas team but should have played up to a 5 or 6 seed in the tourney and thus avoid Kansas so early in the tournament. 2016-17 doesn't need to be rehashed nor does 2017-18.

The pattern is apparent: underachievement, it's been a common theme for what will be 4 seasons that has been quieted at times when they go on a nice run in March masking bad November-February. To the average CBB fan who only shows up in March that's fine. A bad November-February for a time was just missing the tourney or being poorly seeded. Now a bad November-February is missing the tournament by a mile. Now that gets the attention of everyone, not the just the folks who follow the season from start to finish.

There is so much excitement when this team is in the tourney and now it's not happening on a consistent basis. He will have been the head coach at UConn for 6 years, eligible for the postseason in 5 and only making the tournament twice. Making the tourney 40% of the time is not good enough and who even knows if he's capable of maintaining that 40% mark the further we get away from the days of Napier and Boatright.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom