UConn Insider Podcast, Episode 111: Hurley | The Boneyard

UConn Insider Podcast, Episode 111: Hurley

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted yet but it's a great listen with Coach Hurley... I'm all in... Love this guy's attitude. Passion for the game and for the players to succeed. Chip off the old block (like his daddy). Big things coming to Storrs, CT under him:
‎UConn Insider on Apple Podcasts

Reaction Score
Every time I listen to Hurley speak I'm always blown away by how good of a communicator he is. I could listen to him talking about program building and changing the culture in the locker room all day.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed when he discussed not getting enamored with talent if they are not the correct fit. Wants guys that are winners and not just out for themselves. I know this is a convenient narrative, but there was a lot of chatter at the McDonald's game about Precious and his entourage and their list of demands. I think Hurley saw that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. We would get Precious for one year as he tried to boost his NBA stock. That is not how you build a program that has hit rock bottom, long term.

Also had some good insight on CV. Did great with Adams and AG, but when they went down, CV's efficiency plummeted because he tried to do too much.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed when he discussed not getting enamored with talent if they are not the correct fit. Wants guys that are winners and not just out for themselves. I know this is a convenient narrative, but there was a lot of chatter at the McDonald's game about Precious and his entourage and their list of demands. I think Hurley saw that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. We would get Precious for one year as he tried to boost his NBA stock. That is not how you build a program that has hit rock bottom, long term.

Also had some good insight on CV. Did great with Adams and AG, but when they went down, CV's efficiency plummeted because he tried to do too much.

I also had a chuckle when he was discussing the kids he wants vs. those who are fixated on the NBA, personal gain, etc. It was pretty obvious who he had in mind when he answered that question.

Reaction Score
I went to one of the roadshow stops and the only thing that was annoying was the constant negative talk of "kids these days". Some from Hurley but mostly from Geno. Their complaints are valid that many prospects have too many people in their ear, too many trainers, etc. But the reality is, today the prospects are generally always academically eligible, work hard on their games, and have a decent understanding of what it takes to be a college athlete. 15 years ago when I was coming out of highschool many of the top prospects were always in trouble, couldn't stay eligible, and had little to no guidance (instead of too much guidance). Every generation is different, just deal with it and realize they have their advantages. I'm glad that wasn't a big theme of this podcast which was really enjoyable overall. I loved how Hurley snapped that he doesn't have time for golf or writing leadership books and just wants to be a coach everyday lol

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Every time I listen to Hurley speak I'm always blown away by how good of a communicator he is. I could listen to him talking about program building and changing the culture in the locker room all day.
He’s a master communicator. Would be a great sales person if the basketball thing doesn’t work out.

Reaction Score
He’s a master communicator. Would be a great sales person if the basketball thing doesn’t work out.

I would buy a microwave from him, all he had to say was it’s all about the brand.

Reaction Score

Shh, don’t tell that to DaveHuskiesFan or Stainmaster. Look at the 3P % Hurley, CV is the next Napier!

Reaction Score
I went to one of the roadshow stops and the only thing that was annoying was the constant negative talk of "kids these days". Some from Hurley but mostly from Geno. Their complaints are valid that many prospects have too many people in their ear, too many trainers, etc. But the reality is, today the prospects are generally always academically eligible, work hard on their games, and have a decent understanding of what it takes to be a college athlete. 15 years ago when I was coming out of highschool many of the top prospects were always in trouble, couldn't stay eligible, and had little to no guidance (instead of too much guidance). Every generation is different, just deal with it and realize they have their advantages. I'm glad that wasn't a big theme of this podcast which was really enjoyable overall. I loved how Hurley snapped that he doesn't have time for golf or writing leadership books and just wants to be a coach everyday lol
What's a matter with kids today.

Why can't they be be like we were, perfect in every way.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Well said

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Shh, don’t tell that to DaveHuskiesFan or Stainmaster. Look at the 3P % Hurley, CV is the next Napier!

I hope--for the sake of those who rely on you as their breadwinner--that you don't misrepresent others' words this much in your business life.

Reaction Score

Dan knows what it’s like to develop high school players and get them ready for the next level. He did it for 9+ years and, in college coaching, has developed close relationships with a lot of those mentor/AAU/trainer types. He’s hired some.

Some are really good and care about kids, some are opportunistic vultures. His frustration comes when things happen that do not serve the kids well. Everyone bitches about parts of their job. His big thing with players is to be a good teammate and to be coachable.

He’s successfully coached guys who’ve been considered “problems” by others, if he can break through all that other noise. Circumstance that get in the way of that are just frustrating, and frustrations aren’t always expressed in the most appropriate way.

Reaction Score
I hope--for the sake of those who rely on you as their breadwinner--that you don't misrepresent others' words this much in your business life.

I definitely exaggerated. I’m mostly playing w you in this post. But..
If CV performs closer to your expectations of him for next year than how I think He will, I will be extremely happy to be wrong, I really will, bc I want us to be good again

C

Chief00

I agree with many of your observations. Was that golf and leadership book comment a shot at Calhoun and Geno? Just kidding.
One thing about Danny, he is going to do things his way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom