UConn inbounds plays vs UCF: The last 5 minutes | The Boneyard

UConn inbounds plays vs UCF: The last 5 minutes

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Over the last 5 minutes as UCF started to press us and tried to get back into the game, we in-bounded the ball 11 times. Ten of those time we either drew a foul or safely made it across halfcourt.

The other time was the one time Amida attempted to inbound, which was the turnover everybody seemed to remember, and many took as an opportunity to call out Ollie for "poor coaching" or some such.

I defy you, though, to watch this video and tell me this team is poorly coached. Each of the inbounds plays happens quickly, and each time it's our shooters (Rodney, Jalen, Vital or Jackson) ending up with the ball in their hands. And that line play with 11 seconds left – which absolutely needed a clean inbounds – was a clinic.

Notice, too, that when the preferred inbounds passers (Rodney & Kentan) are taking the ball out, they know exactly where to go: Jalen in the short corner. And Jalen knows exactly where the pressure is coming from, and how to defuse it.

This is night and day compared to Oklahoma State back in November. Don't let Amida's one brainfart distract you from that.

big thanks to @Storrs South for putting the video together!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The strategy on inbounding following a make in the endgame was clearly for the man who got possession as the ball came through the hoop to step out and inbound as quickly as possible, and for Jalen to go toward that corner as the first option. In that particular instance, the ball came right down into Brimah's hands. The play needs to be run as quickly as possible to get the ball into one of the guards' hands. Brimah did exactly as he was supposed to, but Brown was on his shoulder when he got the ball, and when he stepped out he was closely guarded. That caused him just enough of a hesitation that Williams was able to close on Jalen. Amida's pass was a little outside, but it did hit Jalen in the hand. Jalen mishandled it. As a pragmatic fatalist my rule is, Stuff is gonna happen, so deal with it and move on. (actually, in my rule, stuff has 4 letters and rhymes with spit). Anyway, we did. Deal with it and move on, that is. That turnover burnt ten seconds off the clock and ended up not costing us any points. Fortuitous bounce, but you take it where you find it.

Reaction Score
The clips basically show that UCF's press wasn't overly impressive. The line play was run well, but was pretty much HS 101. Key was players not panicking once the ball was inbounded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom