UConn in the NBA, 2019/20 | The Boneyard

UConn in the NBA, 2019/20

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Kemba has been crushing it with the Celtics. He's scored the most points over the first five games of anyone in C's history, and done so with a smile on his face. The biggest moment probably came last night in a win over the Knicks, when... he didn't even touch the ball!

Stevens ran the same play for Tatum at the end of the game (find him in the corner for a late jumper) that he ran at the end of the Orlando game last winter. Kyrie threw an absolute fit when he didn't get the last shot, while Kemba celebrated like a madman when Tatum got it and hit it. Literally the exact same play, but vastly different outcomes and leadership.

It is a joy to watch him on a winning team. I said in the other thread that I think they'll win between 55 and 60 games (they're 4-1 right now with wins over the Raptors & Bucks, two of the other top teams in the East), barring injury. Big month with a brutal schedule coming up, though.

FWIW I don't think there will be much (any) wheeling-and-dealing from Ainge, or even talk of such this year. They're going to ride with the team they've got, and hopefully with Hayward's return to health and some real improvement from Tatum and Brown, they have a "could maybe contend if things break right" ceiling.

Again: If you're a UConn fan but not an NBA fan, you should still carve out time to watch the Celtics a few times this year because it is an absolute joy to watch Kemba win.

The total opposite side of the coin is what's happening in Detroit, where Andre is the only ray of light right now. He has been an absolute monster with three 20/20 games in his first six, and by the boxscore stats, the eye test and the underlying metrics his defensive contributions have taken another large step forward (not just blocks, steals and defensive rebounds, but high-IQ defensive reads like at the end of last night's game – a game that the Pistons managed to blow anyway).

I'm going to stress this here, because I don't think people are aware of it: Through 15,000 NBA minutes, Andre is literally the greatest rebounder in League history in terms of % of rebounds he gets while he's on the court. Better than Wilt, Russ or Rodman. He is a force of nature on the boards.

Even with that from Andre, the Pistons are just brutally bad. It'll get better when Griffin and Jackson get back from injuries, but how long will they stay healthy? This is a lottery team, I suspect.

Andre's in a contract year, by the way. If he keeps playing like this he'll get a max from someone – probably Detroit, but maybe he'll want to leave that disaster of a franchise at the end of the year.

Jeremy was in a contract year last year and played very well for a bad Charlotte team. I'll admit I'm still surprised he only got 3 years/$31.5 million from Indiana, but if that bothered him he hasn't shown it. He's in the starting lineup for the Pacers with Oladipo out and is averaging 19/7/1.3 with 1 steal and a half a block per game so far, on 51% FG and 73% FT. That included a big 21/10 game last night.

He doesn't look like an all-star or anything, and Indiana are struggling a bit at 2-3 through five games, but "efficient starting SG on a team with playoff aspirations" is a pretty nice spot for him in his prime.

My guess is he becomes a sixth man when Oladipo comes back – assuming that Oladipo is the same guy he was before the knee injury.

I remain thrilled that Rudy ended up in San Antonio to play out his golden years under Pop. He has become the efficient, versatile scorer and defender that his talent always suggested he should be, and through five games is averaging 11/7.5/2.6 while shooting 49% from the floor and 77% from the line.

Pop primarily uses him as a 4, though he's guarded some 3 and some 5 as well. He is a swiss army knife on both sides, and is doing all of the above while having his minutes managed (22 mpg off the bench). It's the ideal role for him at this stage of his career, and the Spurs – who are 4-1 so far – are a decent bet to win 50+ games this year.

Shabazz has been brutal from the floor for Minnesota, shooting 30% overall (24% from 3), but despite that he's been a net positive because 1) he's getting to the line a ton, 2) his defense has been exceptional unless he's matched up against a giant (as happened vs. the Sixers), and 3) he's running the second unit like the high-IQ veteran PG he is. So his on/off splits have been exceptional despite his ice-cold shooting to start the year.

The Timberwolves already have two road wins and a good home win vs. the Heat to start the season (before all that fun against Philly the other night), and I'm sure the entire fanbase would've taken "3-1 with a ton of fight" for 2019/20 after last year's turd. Bazz getting 22 mpg in a meaningful role in the middle of all of it is, I'll admit, a very nice surprise.

Like Andre he's in a contract year. Unlike Andre he's making the league minimum. Would be nice to see him find his shot and earn a nice, guaranteed, 3-year contract somewhere.

That's it so far. Here's the list of guys who are expected to be on G-League rosters. The G-League tips off next week.

Reaction Score
Great rundown. People really are sleeping on the case Andre is making for greatest rebounder of all time. His combination of size and quickness is just unreal.

To build on your point about his improvement on the defensive end (where he was a legitimate liability for a few years), he was leading the league in "deflections" as of a few days ago:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kemba and Lamb finally being on teams with playoff aspirations is a breath of fresh air. They should be more efficient not having to force their offense as much.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Andre just went for 25 points, 20 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 blocks and 3 steals in a 113-109 win over the Nets. He shot 10/16 FG and 5/6 from the line, including 3-for-4 in the final 7 seconds to ice the game.

This was the second game of a back-to-back and he played 40 minutes! The Pistons won despite missing Blake, Jackson & Derrick Rose, who are their 2nd, 3rd & 4th-best players.

Just a monster performance, an "I'm an all-star!!!" performance.

He really looks like he's turned the corner and just gets it now. He's become such a complete basketball player, and I'm thrilled for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Andre just went for 25 points, 20 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 blocks and 3 steals in a 113-109 win over the Nets. He shot 10/16 FG and 5/6 from the line, including 3-for-4 in the final 7 seconds to ice the game.

This was the second game of a back-to-back and he played 40 minutes! The Pistons won despite missing Blake, Jackson & Derrick Rose, who are their 2nd, 3rd & 4th-best players.

Just a monster performance, an "I'm an all-star!!!" performance.

He really looks like he's turned the corner and just gets it now. He's become such a complete basketball player, and I'm thrilled for him.

Love Drummond but Blake has got to be the best player on that Detroit team, right? He was awesome last year.

I watched the 4th quarter of that game yesterday. Really seemed like Detroit was gonna blow it. Drummond hitting the free throws at the end was awesome.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20191102-222236_Chrome.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
andre rules. yeah boy, he is the big dawg! when he was a rookie, it only took the other pros a month or so to realize that 'I aint getting that board cuz HE wants it.' years later, he seems to be warming up for more. how cool is that?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Wonder if the Pistons look to trade Drummond - I'm not sure they want to pay him what he'll earn as a free agent after this season.
There's a ton of talk about that in the fanbase. A significant part of them wants to just go into full tank mode.

Also, fun fact: Andre is 26 and already has more career 20-20 games than Shaq had
JFC that's amazing.

Reaction Score
The only thing my wife and I regret about Kemba and Jeremy leaving Charlotte is we can't watch them play as often.
I didn't know you were in Charlotte. Interesting. Where do you buy your water balloons? :)

Reaction Score
I’ve only watched one Detroit game this season, but Jesus, Andre is beasting. He seems to be playing harder especially on defense. I think he’s very aware that if he wants a max deal he has to show he can play hard and focused all the time and smart defense. That’s been the justified knock on him around the league.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I didn't know you were in Charlotte. Interesting. Where do you buy your water balloons? :)
Live in Asheville but cable covered every Charlotte game. Our loss is the gain for people in NE.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The announcers last night kept talking about how poor a foul shooter he was, and fouling him late would be a good idea, and why was he still n the game, because he's such a liability on the foul line, etc., etc. Aren't these people paid no know thngs like Hack-a-Dre went out of fashion pretty early last season when he started shooting 60%+ on a consistent basis. It was SOP when he was shooting 35 to 40% or so. When he's shooting FTs in the 60s, it's only a desperation tactic.

Reaction Score
We are getting to the point where, what Andre does, is putting him in the company of all-time greats. Shaq, Hakeem, Jabbar.

Attachments

• 75371735_10162344963560005_7421267930559545344_n.jpg
    75371735_10162344963560005_7421267930559545344_n.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 21

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We are getting to the point where, what Andre does, is putting him in the company of all-time greats. Shaq, Hakeem, Jabbar.
A list of all time great centers that doesn't start with Russell and Wilt is -- well, it's just wrong.

Reaction Score
A list of all time great centers that doesn't start with Russell and Wilt is -- well, it's just wrong.
The stats he has achieved have only been achieved by the three I mentioned, hence why they were mentioned. Omission does not = not all-time great. (Obviously) the previous post was not an exhaustive list of all-time great but just the only players to reach the stats he has reached that were mentioned in this post.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Celtics should make a move for Dre next season. They have a big need at center and he fits their scheme well. Dre needs to be in a bigger market.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom