UConn Huskies invade our northern neighbors | The Boneyard

UConn Huskies invade our northern neighbors

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I occasionally get the Springfield [Ma.] Republican.
Their sports section carries a box with the upcoming schedule for UMass teams....basketball/hockey etc and of course for the Boston teams during their seasons
There is one oddity: they carry the schedule for the UConn Huskies....the women not the men.

They also carry the AP story on the UConn [w] games.

Uhhh...one thing they omit is the UMass women's basketball team's schedule.....OUCH!

Reasons?

Rebecca Lobo grew up about 10 miles from Springfield and retains huge popularity up north.
I used to live in the area and the fans up there kinda adopted the UConn women due to their excellence...my sense is that UConn is an adopted favorite for New England fans in general.

Massachusetts and the UConn men? Huge dislike from time immemorial.

UConn women...lotsa likes.

The UMass women have been mediocre or worse for a looong time. Maybe 20 years ago they had a couple of good seasons under a female version of Bobby Knight....maniac on the sidelines. Maybe Joanie O'Brien? Her tenure did not end well.
I do recall seeing UConn play UMass up there [nice arena!] during the Svet years...probably more UConn fans in the house than Ma. fans.

Reaction Score
I was a UMass student and we got CPTV in the dorms and I was able to watch UConn women's games and I wasn't the only one who did, lol. It was the only reason I stayed in campus housing for the first semester sophomore year - to watch UConn women for free, heheh.

Reaction Score
Brother in law retired now in Fla, relocated from the Boston area. Other than his grand children's games he faithfully follows, the Red Sox the Patriots and the UConn women.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A belated addition to the story....one that completely escaped me.
I assume the Springfield Republican has several editions...and the one coming to Enfield Ct might have a bit more UConn juice than the editions that are directed solely to our northern areas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I listen to WAMC (Albany) on my way to work in western MA. They report a few local college sports scores -- and UConn, both men and women.

Reaction Score
I occasionally get the Springfield [Ma.] Republican.
Their sports section carries a box with the upcoming schedule for UMass teams....basketball/hockey etc and of course for the Boston teams during their seasons
There is one oddity: they carry the schedule for the UConn Huskies....the women not the men.

They also carry the AP story on the UConn [w] games.

Uhhh...one thing they omit is the UMass women's basketball team's schedule.....OUCH!

Reasons?

Rebecca Lobo grew up about 10 miles from Springfield and retains huge popularity up north.
I used to live in the area and the fans up there kinda adopted the UConn women due to their excellence...my sense is that UConn is an adopted favorite for New England fans in general.

Massachusetts and the UConn men? Huge dislike from time immemorial.

UConn women...lotsa likes.

The UMass women have been mediocre or worse for a looong time. Maybe 20 years ago they had a couple of good seasons under a female version of Bobby Knight....maniac on the sidelines. Maybe Joanie O'Brien? Her tenure did not end well.
I do recall seeing UConn play UMass up there [nice arena!] during the Svet years...probably more UConn fans in the house than Ma. fans.

Maybe I liked the Holy Cross and UMass teams better than the rest of the Yankee Conf because they were close. Also UMass really liked Uconn during the Dr J years when they regularly beat up on Uconn.
Unlike many who have been thrilled with the Calhoon, BE, AAC years; as a lover of the Student Athlete game, I long for the Yankee Conf games. New England against New England teams--local/personal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom