UConn hoping to get more from Mensah (Ostrout @ JI) | The Boneyard

UConn hoping to get more from Mensah (Ostrout @ JI)

Reaction Score

-> He hasn’t developed into the type of leader that I would expect him of a guy in his situation. That’s part of the maturity factor,” Edsall said as the Huskies began training camp. “He’s gotten better but he’s still got a ways to go from that standpoint.”

That seems rather harsh for a player who has stood out on the field through a rather rough period in UConn football history — the Huskies did not compete in 2020 for COVID-19 safety concerns, but have won a mere six games in the three seasons since Edsall’s return to the helm — but Mensah admits his coach’s critique is reasonable.

“Yeah, fair. Coach and I, we’re good. We’re good together,” Mensah said. “He knows what’s the best for me, and I’m starting to understand that. I’m starting to listen to him more and just be more patient, more humble.”
It seems Mensah wasn’t always keen to Edsall’s way of thinking. He is, however, coming around.

“I can’t lie, it’s difficult to be a player for him. But if you can get your head on and be focused, it’ll work out for you,” Mensah said. Mensah equated Edsall’s approach to another veteran New England coach. “Coach Edsall is almost like coach (Bill) Belichick. Just do your job,” Mensah said of the six-time Super Bowl champion. <-

-> “He is a young man that has been productive here in the program. I think he can still be even a little bit more productive in terms of being better as an all-around running back. He’s proven he can run the ball really well. Now I would hope that this year he’ll be able to take his pass protection, his pass catching to another level,” Edsall said. That’s fine by Mensah. “Whatever I can do to help this team get a bowl game,” Mensah said. <-

Reaction Score
I loved that he was candid about not liking Edsall at first, but said he came around and knows Edsall wants what's best for him. I think that is prime example of this team has fully bought into Edsall's philosophy. I truly believe this team is going to be very fundamentally sound and will really surprise people on the field.

Reaction Score
I think Mensah is a good back. I think you lead by example and if someone is good enough to replace him, you have only improved your on field product.

Reaction Score

-> “The beginning of COVID was hard on Kevin, going to online classes,” said running backs coach Kyle Weiss. “Gearing up for a season and all of the sudden it disappears on you. He might have had some ideas of what he wanted to do with his senior season and beyond. So [we’re] bringing him back to say, ‘Kev, what made you Kevin Mensah was working harder than anybody in the room.’ Getting Kevin back to that, we’ve seen a big change on the field, in the weight room, and he did well in summer classes.” <-

-> “To be able to play three, four seasons in college and have the amount of carries he has — and he’s taken countless hits — and you might see him after a game and you’re like, ‘I wonder what I’m going to get out of him next week,’ and he’s right back there,” Weiss said. “That’s Kevin’s secret weapon. When I think of Kevin I think of reliable and durable.” <-

-> “I think that Rob Burns has been a positive influence in terms of fueling some competition,” Weiss said. “When you’ve got competition within position groups, it only makes the team better. To add a guy like Rob — and Nate Carter may be one of the hardest working guys we have — with those guys pushing, that helps Kev. He seems like the old guy around. What’s good about him is he does take ups and downs in his path but he finds a way to straighten himself out.” <-

-> Mensah has three remaining classes and is on track to graduate in December. He is particularly proud of his ability and accomplishments, and has made that known to those around him during the program’s 20-month layoff. “I can’t lie, I’ve been doing a lot of talking,” he said. Now? “Less talk,” he said. “More work.” <-

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need a go-to play or two on 2nd or 3rd and short. Menseh could really help here. I was at the point where I dreaded 2 and 1. Lose 3 running wide, incomplete, punt got depressing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We need a go-to play or two on 2nd or 3rd and short. Menseh could really help here. I was at the point where I dreaded 2 and 1. Lose 3 running wide, incomplete, punt got depressing.

I'd there was away to give you a like, a laugh and an angry for one post I'd give it to you.

20 months of no UConn football and I had almost completely purged these facepalm failures from my memory bank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcs1228

Top Bottom