UConn hopes rehiring Edsall will revitalize program (AP Eaton-Robb) | The Boneyard

UConn hopes rehiring Edsall will revitalize program (AP Eaton-Robb)

Reaction Score
The one weird thing about the article is how did we go 24-49 after Edsall left the 1st time back in January 2011?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nice read.

Edsall knows how to build a program. He pays attention to those little details that make a difference. He has grown as a coach as evidence in the hiring Lashlee and Crocker.

Looking forward to some excitement this fall.

Reaction Score
Personally I hope that Edsall allows both Lashlee and Crocker the freedom be the "head coaches" of their side of the ball. Let each have an opportunity to run their units in the way that they see fit, and I think the potential for exciting football will go along with it. While wins and losses are important, I think just important will be putting an entertaining product on the field.

If fans can go to a Uconn Game with the expectation of seeing an exciting brand of offense and defense, then I believe they will be more understanding of the building process that is needed by these coaches. Sometimes it is easier to be positive in defeat if progress is evident, as opposed to winning a few additional games 13-10 in brutal fashion.

The reality is that Diaco bottomed this program out in every way. Recruiting was deficient, player development stunted, and game day coaching non existent. Edsall brings immediate credibility in having a history of good prospect evaluation, strong player development, and competent game day decision making. Pasqualoni and later Diaco eroded the strong program foundation that Edsall had built. It will be this staff's job to rebuild. I hope that they can.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The one weird thing about the article is how did we go 24-49 after Edsall left the 1st time back in January 2011?
A couple of 5-7 seasons under PP and a 6-6 under Diaco mask the stench of 2-10 and 3-9 I suppose

Reaction Score
I think I'll wait for some on field performance. The last 6 years have taught me to not get caught in the hype. Let's see it on field.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

By averaging four wins per season. We've averaged a 4-8 record over the past six seasons. Hopefully it can only get better from now on. The bowl game loss in 2015 was the cherry on top of the loser sundae.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice read.

Edsall knows how to build a program. He pays attention to those little details that make a difference. He has grown as a coach as evidence in the hiring Lashlee and Crocker.

Looking forward to some excitement this fall.
Personally I hope that Edsall allows both Lashlee and Crocker the freedom be the "head coaches" of their side of the ball. Let each have an opportunity to run their units in the way that they see fit, and I think the potential for exciting football will go along with it. While wins and losses are important, I think just important will be putting an entertaining product on the field.

If fans can go to a Uconn Game with the expectation of seeing an exciting brand of offense and defense, then I believe they will be more understanding of the building process that is needed by these coaches. Sometimes it is easier to be positive in defeat if progress is evident, as opposed to winning a few additional games 13-10 in brutal fashion.

The reality is that Diaco bottomed this program out in every way. Recruiting was deficient, player development stunted, and game day coaching non existent. Edsall brings immediate credibility in having a history of good prospect evaluation, strong player development, and competent game day decision making. Pasqualoni and later Diaco eroded the strong program foundation that Edsall had built. It will be this staff's job to rebuild. I hope that they can.

I'm confident Edsall has made the conscientious decision to let his coaches coach. I'm also confident he wouldn't have gotten the staff he got without those assurances. Edsall has some really good above average skills in building a program- the stickler for details, roster management, time management and game prep throughout the week, developing teens in to men. He also has some other skills where he doesn't stand out- creativity and play calling come to mind. So, farm out the areas where you are average and spend even more time doing what you are really good at doing.

OTOH, I have no flippin' idea what I will do if UConn does three straight runs on the first series with the third run being a delayed draw on 3rd and 8. Crying and drinking I'm sure. Beyond that I don't know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom