UConn Hockey Media Day: Freshman Joe Masonius Already Familiar With Storrs | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey Media Day: Freshman Joe Masonius Already Familiar With Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-hockey-media-day-0930-20150929-story.html

This is gold:

>>STORRS – As a freshman on the UConn hockey team, it was important for Joe Masonius to schedule a couple of early-semester meetings with coaches on the Storrs campus — coach Geno Auriemma and associate head coach Chris Dailey of the women's basketball team.

Masonius' mother, Ellen Clark Masonius, spent two seasons (1987-89) as part of the Huskies staff and has maintained a friendship with Auriemma and Dailey. So part of Joe Masonius' efforts to feel at home at UConn was to chat with both coaches at the Huskies' basketball facilities.

"I've been around UConn my entire life," Masonius said during hockey media day Tuesday at Freitas Ice Forum.

Masonius, a defenseman from Spring Lake, N.J., who spent the past two seasons with the national development program in Ann Arbor, Mich., grew up attending UConn basketball games with his mother, who is now an AAU coach. But as an elite hockey prospect in 2012 and with UConn not yet considered a realistic destination for such recruits, he committed to New Hampshire.

The UNH plans fell through over the summer because of complications in the admissions process and Masonius wound up at UConn, which began awarding scholarships in 2013 and joined Hockey East in 2014.

"I talked to some other schools but I had kind of decided in the back of my mind that I wanted to attend UConn," Masonius said. "I'm pretty happy with where I ended up."<<

Reaction Score
@huskymedic the picture of the team stretching in the lobby of Freitas is embarrassing...they need to get something done up there asap.

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh's quote about Letunov makes it seem like he's already the best playmaker on the team. Would not be surprised to see him centering one of the top two lines and on the first team power play beginning opening night.

Will be interesting to see the line combinations Saturday and the power play group. Cannot wait for puck drop Saturday, even if it is an exhibition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom