OT: - UConn History | The Boneyard

OT: UConn History

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I attended UConn from 1965 - 1969. I don't remember seeing any coeds in the field house. So, I am wondering about the history of UConn Women's sport teams. Were there any? I'm thinking there had to be the prevailing women's sports of the day, golf, tennis, swimming, gymnastics. Are there any old timers who know the answer to this. I am going to start some research myself.

In the meantime, here's a trivia question I just bumped into: Who was the first Women's team to win an NCAA championship, and what year? (no fair looking it up.) (BTW, if you guess 1995, you would be wrong.)

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I attended UConn from 1965 - 1969. I don't remember seeing any coeds in the field house. So, I am wondering about the history of UConn Women's sport teams. Were there any? I'm thinking there had to be the prevailing women's sports of the day, golf, tennis, swimming, gymnastics. Are there any old timers who know the answer to this. I am going to start some research myself.

In the meantime, here's a trivia question I just bumped into: Who was the first Women's team to win an NCAA championship, and what year? (no fair looking it up.) (BTW, if you guess 1995, you would be wrong.)
I took your trivia question as asking for the first women's team at UConn to win an NCAA title… If that's the question, I believe the answer is field hockey and, off the top of my head, I'd guess 1982 as the year(?). Sometime in the early '80s, in any case.

I don't know the answer to your first question about the history of UConn women's sports. But as far as just basketball goes, here's one interesting nugget… Your post reminded me that the video celebrating Geno's 900th win included congratulations from a woman who said she played basketball at UConn back in the late '60s or early '70s, which would predate the first official season mentioned in the UConn media guide. I have no idea if maybe UConn had a club team for women's basketball at that time, or what the story was, but perhaps someone else on the board can help shed some light here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom