UConn Highlights: Maya Moore Freshman Season | The Boneyard

UConn Highlights: Maya Moore Freshman Season

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I understand and appreciate our fan base's concerns about Megan Walker, and her failure to "get it" up to this point. Of course for lots of reasons, Geno, his staff, the starters and all of us would all like to see Megan and 1-2 more of the reserves step up and prove to Geno that they're ready for "prime time" minutes as the regular season winds down, and the tournaments loom just around the corner.

Send this highlight to Megan if you wish for motivation. However any suggestion that Megan should try and be like Maya would in my opinion be insulting to BOTH players. It's not fair or realistic to compare anyone to Maya, or suggest that they try and emulate her style/production. Megan does not need that type of stimulation/motivation. She's in the good hands of her coaching staff. They know where she needs to be, and how to get her there. She'll be fine.

In the recent poll of the 10 greatest players to come through UConn during the last 33 years, Maya was 3rd. Out voted only by a player that won 4 NCAA championships, and other numerous awards, and who by the way was 2nd on the career scoring list with 2,676 pts, and the player considered by 99% of the UConn faithful (including Geno) to be the greatest of all time (7th on the career scoring list with 2,156 points. As great (and she was great) as Taurasi was, she didn't come anywhere near 3,000 points. Note - #10 on the UConn career scoring list is Bria Hartley with 1,994 points.

Just as Crystal was told by Moriah Jefferson (whom she was brought in to replace), that she should not try to emulate her, but be her own woman. "Be the best Crystal Dangerfield you can be" she told her. "You can't be me". That was good advice for Crystal, because she looked up to Jefferson while she was still in high school, and wanted to be like her. The same holds true for Walker.

Let's not forget, Maya remains UConn's all time leading scorer with 3,036 career points, and the only member of the 3,000 point club. As great as Stewart was, she could not reach that threshold. I will admit and submit that if she had not been taken out of games early throughout her career that were over after 3 quarters, she could have very easily reached, and perhaps surpassed Moore's record.
NONE of the other legends that forged the legacy that is UConn women's basketball, are in the 3,000 point club!!!

So why are we comparing her to Maya, or Maya to her? :eek: I'm going to make a bold prediction right here, right now: Megan Waler will eclipse 2,000 career points before she leaves UConn. That's how sure I am of her potential and ability. I'm not going to put anymore pressure on Megan than she has already. The only expectations I have for her this year is to learn the system completely. Be a great teammate, and give 100% effort everyday in practice, in games and in the classroom.

I want her to be the best Megan Walker she can be. I want her to be and stay true to herself. No doubt her coaches are telling her the same thing. Geno and staff will help her do just that. THAT is why she chose to come to UConn. Megan is special, that's why Geno recruited her. I realize they really need her to be ready now, but you can't rush someone into doing something they're not ready to do (like getting married). :confused: Megan will be fine. This time next year, we'll reflect back on where Megan was and smile. :) Don't think it can't happen, Dangerfield did it!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I understand and appreciate our fan base's concerns about Megan Walker, and her failure to "get it" up to this point.
Of course for lots of reasons, Geno, his staff, the starters and all of us would all like to see Megan and 1-2 more of the reserves step up and prove to Geno that they're ready for "prime time" minutes as the regular season winds down, and the tournaments loom just around the corner.

Send this highlight to Megan if you wish for motivation. However any suggestion that Megan should try and be like Maya would in my opinion be insulting to BOTH players. It's not fair or realistic to compare anyone to Maya, or suggest that they try and emulate her style/production. Megan does not need that type of stimulation/motivation. She's in the good hands of her coaching staff. They know where she needs to be, and how to get her there. She'll be fine.

In the recent poll of the 10 greatest players to come through UConn during the last 33 years, Maya was 3rd. Only out voted by a player that won 4 NCAA championships, and other numerous awards, and who by the way was 2nd on the career scoring list with 2,351 points, and the player considered by 99% of the UConn faithful (including Geno) to be the greatest of all time (7th on the career scoring list with 2,156 points. As great (and she was great) as Taurasi was, she didn't come anywhere near 3,000 points. Note - #10 on the UConn career scoring list is Bria Hartley with 1,994 points.

Just as Crystal was told by Moriah Jefferson (whom she was brought in to replace), that she should not try to emulate her, but be her own woman. "Be the best Crystal Dangerfield you can be" she told her. "You can't be me". That was good advice for Crystal, because she looked up to Jefferson while she was still in high school, and wanted to be like her. The same holds true for Walker.

Let's not forget, Maya remains UConn's all time leading scorer with 3,036 career points, and the only member of the 3,000 point club. As great as Stewart was, she could not come within 500 points of that threshold. NONE of the other legends that forged the legacy that is UConn women's basketball, are in the 3,000 point club!!! So why are we comparing her to Maya, or Maya to her? :eek: I'm going to make a bold prediction right here, right now: Megan Waler will eclipse 2,000 career points before she leaves UConn. That's how sure I am of her potential and ability. I'm not going to put anymore pressure on Megan than she has already. The only expectations I have for her this year is to learn the system completely. Be a great teammate, and give 100% effort everyday in practice, in games and in the classroom.

I want her to be the best Megan Walker she can be. I want her to be and stay true to herself. No doubt her coaches are telling her the same thing. Geno and staff will help her do just that. THAT is why she chose to come to UConn. Megan is special, that's why Geno recruited her. I realize they really need her to be ready now, but you can't rush someone into doing something they're not ready to do (like getting married). :confused: Megan will be fine. This time next year, we'll reflect back on where Megan was and smile. :) Don't think it can't happen, Dangerfield did it!!! ;)

For the record, Breanna Stewart amassed 2676 pts for her collegiate career. Still 2nd, of course, to Moore's 3036 pts. on the UConn scoring list. Tina Charles is 3rd at 2346, although KLS may have something to say about that by the end of her UConn tenure.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For the record, Breanna Stewart amassed 2676 pts for her collegiate career. Still 2nd, of course, to Moore's 3036 pts. on the UConn scoring list. Tina Charles is 3rd at 2346, although KLS may have something to say about that by the end of her UConn tenure.

Thanks, the list I used had it wrong, I'll change it. Don't like to quote misleading information/numbers. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks so much for posting. Memories fade. I forgot how great she was right out of the gate. Very unfair to compare any incoming freshman to MM. Incredible.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Q: How good of a passer was Kaili ..?

:D

A: the best non-guard passer ever for UCONN IMO (Gabulous is excellent , however)

Edit: I’m cheating here, since I only started following the team closely in 2008 so I would defer to long time fans on other passing Bigs

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
The best freshman season ever by a UConn player. Her finger roll was reminiscent of Jordan. Could do it all, score, rebound, etc. Deceptive speed up the floor.

They don't call her Maya Magnificent for nothing.

Reaction Score
Great video! I never get tired of great UConn basketball.

Jump to 25:45 on the video. Just like Crystal to Katie Lou against Wichita State in Saturday's game!

Reaction Score
Wow! Thank you! I wasn't watching wcbb during her Freshman year. There was always stories of how awesome she was, but seeing it is amazing. She looked like a college senior her Freshman year. No wonder why she's always been so far ahead of all of her competition. I think that she'll be done with basketball and will be considered the all-time greatest. Such a class act

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Her freshman season is part of why I think Maya was the greatest college player of all time. She was second in the AP POY voting, behind the transcendent Candace Parker. If not for Candace, Maya would have been the only player to win POY as a freshman and would have had FOUR Wade trophies. Unparalleled!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"That's no ordinary freshman!" Announcers were almost dumbfounded, because they had never seen anything like Maya Moore. No freshman, no sophomore, no junior, no senior.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
dang they lost to Stanford
AP070312021515.jpg

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
After watch Maya Moore's freshman highlights (Thank you for posting!), it is clear Megan Walker is not a Maya Moore redux. I remember in a video Geno saying Maya had the such great confidence from day one at UCONN. I guess this is what is seeking from his frosh. Good luck, Geno!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wow! Thank you! I wasn't watching wcbb during her Freshman year. There was always stories of how awesome she was, but seeing it is amazing. She looked like a college senior her Freshman year. No wonder why she's always been so far ahead of all of her competition. I think that she'll be done with basketball and will be considered the all-time greatest. Such a class act

She is already my GOAT. I admit it is a tough choice since Stewart is a close second.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom