UConn has the 42nd largest FOOTBALL fanbase in college football | The Boneyard

UConn has the 42nd largest FOOTBALL fanbase in college football

Reaction Score
Didn’t look hard enough to see how it’s calculated, but any list that has Cuse as 14th largest CFB fanbase loses credibility.
Agree. Seems reasonable overall, but Syracuse having more fans than Tennessee and having 3.5x as many fans as BYU? Hard to believe. Not just because it's Syracuse, but also just doesn't make any logical sense.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Agree. Seems reasonable overall, but Syracuse having more fans than Tennessee and having 3.5x as many fans as BYU? Hard to believe. Not just because it's Syracuse, but also just doesn't make any logical sense.
Yea it does. Syracuse is the most popular program in upstate and Western NY. 8 million people live there.

Reaction Score
Yea it does. Syracuse is the most popular program in upstate and Western NY. 8 million people live there.
Yes clearly their algorithm looks at population and competition from other schools in the area and that has a huge influence on the estimates. Hence BYU is massively underestimated because there are 15+ million mormons around the world, but most of them do not live in close proximity to the BYU campus and therefore their fanbase is massively underestimated. On the flipside the fanbase for Syracuse is massively overestimated because there aren't other schools in close proximity that play major D1 football, but I'd bet there are more Notre Dame football fans in upstate NY than there are Syracuse fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, that officially got a ‘da fook?’ from me.

11A99DED-839A-4172-869D-EAFF15F18469.jpeg

Here is the rest of the top 100.
F7159F7D-B5FB-460A-871C-D720BD11319B.jpeg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not a single Big 12 school is in the top 33.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Have to agree fully here. Tennessee draws 100k fans per game. That's an entire month for Syracuse.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Interestingly BC doesn't get the same boost for the Boston market that Syracuse seems to in western New York
Or USC from Socal.

Hard to figure out the logic in this analysis.

Reaction Score
When I am at the games the thing that always sticks out to me is the amount of women at the game. Right till the end of another losing season. There have been times when the student section for sure seems to have more girls in it. With the long winning drought we have been on I am impressed with the fans that show up. Old and young. People hoping for success. People that enjoy the tailgate environment and want to see a good game. Year after year. If Jim Mora can get some wins going I think people will respond. Fans in Connecticut love football. Sure we all wear different shirts, hats or coats to games. Some have pro teams Giants Jets Patriots. Some have high school jackets. There is always a Whalers hat or jersey. F Karmanos. If UConn is respectable it is a very loud venue. Nothing better than a 3rd down stop or a U-C-O-N-N! after a touchdown. Looking forward to a great season. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Absolutely no attack @shizzle787 here but I just can't buy it. Would love to see how they come up with their numbers. My guess is our AD would also. The criteria can't have anything to do with attendance at games. For the past decade there are probably more fans at Fla and Texas etc high school games than we have had in The Dog House.

Regardless looking forward to the season and on the phone just yesterday with Chef Ptomaine of my group to start planing for the season.
As the lead of my small party of four, I will ban any fist pumping / chanting and dancing around at our tailgates with "we're 42, we're 42, we're 42". ;)

Baseball had a hell of a good run, time to turn the attention to next man up Jim Mora.... Let's go Huskies !!!

Reaction Score
Read the fine print on the graphic. A strange couple of calculations used
Also, a lot of the data is based on a NY Times study from 2011 and 2014. If 2011 is included that's right around the height of our program.

Edit to add: Our average football fanbase is larger than the average fan base of schools in the Big 12? I just can't imagine basketball doesn't have some kind of impact here. I'm also curious about how census data was factored in.

Reaction Score
We have a decent fanbase. If our football team is winning, we'll see it bounce back. The Northeast just will not support losing teams. The brand loyalty to the state universities that you see in the Midwest and South, even when losing, just won't happen in the Northeast or California. Too much going on nearby to bother with a loser. Its sad but true, but it can be a positive if we use that fact to push us harder to win.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Have to agree fully here. Tennessee draws 100k fans per game. That's an entire month for Syracuse.
Also, as someone who lives in Nashville, people here are all UT fans (even though Vanderbilt campus is in town). So if that isn’t calculated in the analysis, it’s way off.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Clearly this analysis is flawed.

If our fan base is so big why can’t we even fill half of a 40K seat stadium?

Why are we only getting peanuts for our TV rights of home games?

Alumni being used in the calculation? People on here are trying to give alumni free tickets and can’t find takers lmao.

Geography being used in the calculation? Streaming and new TV deals have proven that traditional geographic markets are less important in determining brand power.

Hey look, I hope we can restore the UConn football brand back to the hype it had in the late 2000s, but given the state of the program the past decade, this is a joke.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Also, as someone who lives in Nashville, people here are all UT fans (even though Vanderbilt campus is in town). So if that isn’t calculated in the analysis, it’s way off.
The methodology is flawed (likely by intent). If you include (soon to be) Texas and Oklahoma as SEC schools, there are three maybe four non-SEC schools who could argue that they have a better and/or larger fan base than Tennessee and Syracuse is not one of them.

If Cuse had a Stadium that could hold 90k, 95k, 100k they would be less than 50% filled against anyone except maybe Penn St (and that would be if PSU brought 60k fans).

Reaction Score
Or USC from Socal.

Hard to figure out the logic in this analysis.
I would think that's because USC also is in the same market as UCLA which is arguably just as large of an athletic program as USC. So I think that takes away from them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom