Uconn has 2nd least fouls per game called against them | The Boneyard

Uconn has 2nd least fouls per game called against them

Reaction Score
All the discussion on fouling and uconn getting all the calls from refs had me curious so looked up the team stats on fouling and turns out Uconn is tied for 2nd in terms of fouls committed per game at 12.7. Idaho is 1st with 12.5/game in contrast to Sam Houston with 22.6/game. So I guess statistically speaking, there is some truth to people saying that referees don't call fouls again uconn but I think the low fouls speak to the coaching and disciplined defense that this team plays (Geno hates fouling right?). Also think generally a lot of fouls come in the end of close games where a team is behind and has to intentionally foul and uconn just isn't in that situation ever so that may be a lesser contributing factor. Overall, my takeaway is that people should clearly be complaining about all the fouls Idaho is getting away with and not Uconn.

1617235940889.png

1617236127237.png

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Geno has always coached his teams to stay away from stupid fouls...........unless it's necessary, UConn players smartly don't always contest shots on the defensive end if they are likely to foul.......
Necessary when you like to tighten your rotation the way he does.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
what is Baylor's? just curious.
Baylor is not listed on the NCAA stats page which only lists the top-50 schools with the least # of fouls. However, on Baylor’s website it shows the Lady Bears have committed 498 fouls in 31 games, or approximately 16 fouls per game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It might indicate that the number of whistles blown has little to do with the number of fouls committed.
There is some truth to that. For teams like UCF and Baylor I think the refs honestly try to blow their whistles enough to maintain control, but they don’t want to blow their whistles so much that the game degenerates into a parade to the foul line. As a result, aggressive, physical teams inevitably get away with some fouls that would normally be called.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There is some truth to that. For teams like UCF and Baylor I think the refs honestly try to blow their whistles enough to maintain control, but they don’t want to blow their whistles so much that the game degenerates into a parade to the foul line. As a result, aggressive, physical teams inevitably get away with some fouls that would normally be called.
We've seen teams win with the 'they can't call everything' strategy.

Reaction Score
The Uconn culture has consistently put a lot of emphasis on eliminating the negatives. That certainly includes fouls, but also turnovers and low percentage shots. The point about losing teams having to foul at the end of games on purpose is a good one. But also consider how Geno allocates playing time.

If you pick up a second foul in the first half you usually sit the rest of the half for example. The players all know that, and are more conservative as a result.

Nika had her battles with Geno over fouling and that may have affected her playing time early in the year, Aaliyah as well to a certain extent. Geno frequently tones down a player's style, sometimes reducing their shot attempts, steals, blocked shots etc. in exchange for a higher shooting percentage and lower turnovers and fouls.

I think Evina is an excellent example of the "program" effect. At Tennessee she was a high volume medium efficiency player. At Uconn she has been transformed into a much higher efficiency role player. Her points, assists and fouls per minute I believe are all down. On the other hand her shooting efficiency is much better, and her turnovers and fouls are down.

Another factor could be Geno's frequent use of a relatively short rotation. I sometimes disagree with that strategy, but I suspect in years when he really didn't want to use the bench (last year except for Aubrey) the starters would exhibit an even lower foul rate, because he would emphasize it even more, to avoid having to use Kyla and Molly any more than he had to. In some ways that limited his options. Releasing the hounds with an aggressive pressing defense wasn't really a viable option last year, because the more likely fouls and extra fatigue factor would mean using the bench more.

Next year I am hoping some of that changes. We will have tons of talent not just on the second unit, but the third as well. We also will have the ability to put a unit on the floor made for a pressing defense, if we want to. It is realistic to assume such a strategy would have some downside of more fouls, but perhaps more from the bench than the starters. But the tradeoff could be producing way more turnovers from the opposition, getting far more steals and blocks, and as a bonus get more fast break easy buckets off those turnovers.

Last year the risk/reward tradeoff from a pressing defense probably didn't make sense because of having to use a weaker bench. This year I think we could have used it on occasion. Next year I think it becomes a huge potential advantage, and utilizes a ridiculously deep bench for which playing time will be an issue even if we do use 10-11 routinely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno has always coached his teams to stay away from stupid fouls...........unless it's necessary, UConn players smartly don't always contest shots on the defensive end if they are likely to foul.......
Precisely! Geno and CD also do a remarkable job of teaching and adjusting to the new rules, yearly points of emphasis, how a specific game is being called, or how a specific referee is likely to call a game. The only surprise to me is when UCONN is not number 1 in this category.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Precisely! Geno and CD also do a remarkable job of teaching and adjusting to the new rules, yearly points of emphasis, how a specific game is being called, or how a specific referee is likely to call a game. The only surprise to me is when UCONN is not number 1 in this category.
I suspect if you divided UConn’s season in half, the Huskies very likely led the nation during the 2nd half of the season.

Reaction Score
Precisely! Geno and CD also do a remarkable job of teaching and adjusting to the new rules, yearly points of emphasis, how a specific game is being called, or how a specific referee is likely to call a game. The only surprise to me is when UCONN is not number 1 in this
something tells me Nika, ONO and AE are the main culprits........defensive aggression is a good thing..........over aggression not so much.....

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Baylor is not listed on the NCAA stats page which only lists the top-50 schools with the least # of fouls. However, on Baylor’s website it shows the Lady Bears have committed 498 fouls in 31 games, or approximately 16 fouls per game.
Use NCAA Statistics

easier to navigate the stats, IMO

when you get on the link above, click the drop downs for WBB and then 20/21

When you click the stats header, depending on what you want to look at, you can have the list go out to its full amount, not just top 50.

Also, if you scroll down the page, of the particular stat you want, if you go to the bottom of the page it then includes the teams who are transitioning to D1. Thus on "assists per game", it shows the Syracuse player as leading the nation, but if you scroll down, the CBU pg, Olaeta, is the actual leader in apg.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
something tells me Nika, ONO and AE are the main culprits........defensive aggression is a good thing..........over aggression not so much.....
That's true and in past years it was surprisingly the great Napheesa Collier as a main culprit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom