UConn-Hartford | The Boneyard

UConn-Hartford

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Being from Charlotte and seeing the success that UNCC has had in creating a very solid all around athletic department, it got me wondering if the new UConn-Hartford campus could potentially field any sports teams in the future? I admit up front I know nothing about the school in terms of student body size, how many students commute vs attend full time, etc. Not talking a huge athletic department, more like just basketball (m/w), baseball (can play in the new Rockcats stadium), and softball. Maybe even add lacrosse and use that to attract students.

*Again I want to say I have no clue the demographics that make up UConn-Hartford so if this isn't feasible then nevermind. Just seems like an interesting way for the state to grow the UConn system while having Hartford see an influx of students.

Reaction Score
It is an interesting thought...UCONN Avery Point has had some top notch baseball teams (They play in the NJCAA) and has produced some top players including Major League shortstop John McDonald

Reaction Score
That would be a tough sell with CCSU having so much infrastructure already in place 10 minutes down the road. I think any major sports upgrade that could happen in the state would start there. However, I doubt we see it.

Reaction Score
Being from Charlotte and seeing the success that UNCC has had in creating a very solid all around athletic department, it got me wondering if the new UConn-Hartford campus could potentially field any sports teams in the future? I admit up front I know nothing about the school in terms of student body size, how many students commute vs attend full time, etc. Not talking a huge athletic department, more like just basketball (m/w), baseball (can play in the new Rockcats stadium), and softball. Maybe even add lacrosse and use that to attract students.

*Again I want to say I have no clue the demographics that make up UConn-Hartford so if this isn't feasible then nevermind. Just seems like an interesting way for the state to grow the UConn system while having Hartford see an influx of students.

It's really not feasible. Until very recently (probably the mid-1990s), you couldn't get a four-year degree through any of the branch campuses. The branches were satellites for "lower division" classes, but all majors required you to finish your last two years in Storrs. Since then, the University created a "tri-campus" program that would allow you to finish your degree west of the river (West Hartford, Waterbury, Torrington) and a number of degrees can now be finished in Stamford and Avery Point (primarily degrees in marine science).

That the branches are primarily two-year schools is the reason why Avery Point is in the NJCAA and not Division III.

CCSU is another animal entirely. Frankly, if things didn't cost money, I'd like to see all of the CSUs consolidated in one location (probably CCSU's), build us a new on-campus stadium, and give the CSUs Rentschler Field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd like to see all of the CSUs consolidated in one location (probably CCSU's), build us a new on-campus stadium, and give the CSUs Rentschler Field.

You guys have to come back to us.

Drew

Reaction Score
It's really not feasible. Until very recently (probably the mid-1990s), you couldn't get a four-year degree through any of the branch campuses. The branches were satellites for "lower division" classes, but all majors required you to finish your last two years in Storrs. Since then, the University created a "tri-campus" program that would allow you to finish your degree west of the river (West Hartford, Waterbury, Torrington) and a number of degrees can now be finished in Stamford and Avery Point (primarily degrees in marine science).

That the branches are primarily two-year schools is the reason why Avery Point is in the NJCAA and not Division III.

CCSU is another animal entirely. Frankly, if things didn't cost money, I'd like to see all of the CSUs consolidated in one location (probably CCSU's), build us a new on-campus stadium, and give the CSUs Rentschler Field.

Interesting note on the Tri-Campus program, I didn't know that. It is my understanding that they're trying to cultivate UConn-Hartford into something more than just a two year school (this could be wrong) and I see sports as a way to start that process. The only facility they'd really need to create would be a field for lacrosse if that's something they'd be interested in. I'm not a fan of lax myself but I know it's huge in the area and I could see them drawing some big crowds in downtown for UConn lacrosse in Hartford.

Which 4 year degrees does the campus offer currently? I saw someone on a different thread come up with the idea to create some unique departments for UCH only, such as an elite modern music program or maybe a large focus on technology. I think it is good for the overall UConn system to develop Hartford and Stamford at the very least into viable 4 year campuses. More students=more $

Agreed on CCSU.

Drew

Reaction Score
Also looking into the future, I think developing the UConn-Hartford campus is actually vital to UConn-Storrs being able to move it's programs back to campus. The city of Hartford seems to have attached itself to UConn as its lifeline. Now that they have the downtown campus, get them an adequate amount of students, come up with programs to attract out of state students to UC-H, and offer incentives for them to create businesses in Hartford once they graduate. The more of the "burden" that UConn-Storrs can shift from themselves to the UC-Hartford campus, the better.

Reaction Score
Interesting note on the Tri-Campus program, I didn't know that. It is my understanding that they're trying to cultivate UConn-Hartford into something more than just a two year school (this could be wrong) and I see sports as a way to start that process. The only facility they'd really need to create would be a field for lacrosse if that's something they'd be interested in. I'm not a fan of lax myself but I know it's huge in the area and I could see them drawing some big crowds in downtown for UConn lacrosse in Hartford.

Which 4 year degrees does the campus offer currently? I saw someone on a different thread come up with the idea to create some unique departments for UCH only, such as an elite modern music program or maybe a large focus on technology. I think it is good for the overall UConn system to develop Hartford and Stamford at the very least into viable 4 year campuses. More students=more $

Agreed on CCSU.

No idea how old this link is. Could be one of Al Gore's first: http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~tricamp/abouttricamp.html

Part of the problem with developing Hartford into something larger is that it's just 20 miles from Storrs. In the OP's original example, Chapel Hill and Charlotte are 140 miles apart. So, it makes sense to grow a new UNC institution in Charlotte (which is about six times the population of Hartford, and the center of a metropolitan area about 2 1/2 times the size of Greater Hartford), but less sense to grow one in an area that's barely a half hour away.

Logically, if you're going to grow only one of the campuses, Stamford makes more sense.

Drew

Reaction Score
No idea how old this link is. Could be one of Al Gore's first: http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~tricamp/abouttricamp.html

Part of the problem with developing Hartford into something larger is that it's just 20 miles from Storrs. In the OP's original example, Chapel Hill and Charlotte are 140 miles apart. So, it makes sense to grow a new UNC institution in Charlotte (which is about six times the population of Hartford, and the center of a metropolitan area about 2 1/2 times the size of Greater Hartford), but less sense to grow one in an area that's barely a half hour away.

Logically, if you're going to grow only one of the campuses, Stamford makes more sense.

Agree that it shouldn't be grown into something huge, but a public university in downtown hartford that had ~4500-6000 kids is a realistic goal. Especially if it has more specialty degrees like the ones I had previously mentioned, I believe you can continue to drastically grow Storrs without the Hartford campus having an effect on it.

I have no idea on the current enrollment numbers but trying to get to ~4500-6000 students for both Stamford and Hartford while having around ~24000-26000 in Storrs makes for a VERY strong UConn system, which is good for the state of CT.

Reaction Score
If UConn - Hartford wants to move up to FBS they will need a new stadium. Should the city or state pay for it?

Drew

Reaction Score
Not sure if people are understanding what I said so I'm going to clarify. I simply asked if UConn-Hartford had the capacity to host a mens/womens bball team, and potentially lax teams. To me it makes sense to try to grow the Hartford campus from 2000 kids to 4500 kids, especially if it's going to be in downtown Hartford, and sports seem like a great way to do that. I never said anything about Division 1 sports or FBS football..

Reaction Score
To my knowledge they haven't decided on a place in Hartford for the campus. The campus in West Hartford is three buildings and 2 parking lots, so they have no capacity to host any sports teams.

Reaction Score
To my knowledge they haven't decided on a place in Hartford for the campus. The campus in West Hartford is three buildings and 2 parking lots, so they have no capacity to host any sports teams.

UConn is moving/consolidating its Hartford campus to downtown in the old Hartford Times building in the Front Street district between the Convention center and Wadsworth Athenaeum. They are expecting 2,500 (isn’t that bigger than Hall and PC, LOL?) or so students and 250 or so faculty (some shared between Hartford and Storrs). Classes expect to begin in 2017. It will defiantly be an urban campus with a focus on business and social studies. UConn may also rent space at the Convention center and Bushnell for ‘flex’ space as enrollment demands. No room for any athletic fields, though, if 2,000 plus students do move to Hartford, I can picture a small gym/rec center being built.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/25680416/uconn-expected-to-announce-a-move-to-downtown-hartford

Reaction Score
Prospect_Street_UConn_rendering.jpg

2014-06-03-uconn-hartford-md-01.jpg

Drew

Reaction Score
The reason I stated baseball was because of the rock cats stadium being built (UC-Hartford could play there) and I'm sure theres a more accomodating gym in downtown hartford that a m/w basketball program could utilize (although i honestly have no clue)

Gonna say it one more time but if Storrs can't add mens lacrosse I think UC-Hartford could make it really popular. Downtown on a saturday afternoon watching lax is not a bad way to spend a day.

Reaction Score
Drew said:
The reason I stated baseball was because of the rock cats stadium being built (UC-Hartford could play there) and I'm sure theres a more accomodating gym in downtown hartford that a m/w basketball program could utilize (although i honestly have no clue) Gonna say it one more time but if Storrs can't add mens lacrosse I think UC-Hartford could make it really popular. Downtown on a saturday afternoon watching lax is not a bad way to spend a day.

NFW

Drew

Reaction Score

Hey I just want to thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell me twice in one thread to essentially go duck* myself, it's really appreciated and I'm glad you were able to come up with such exciting and refreshing views on the topic at hand!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Drew you do realize it's just a commuter campus right? They aren't opening dorms and moving 2500 people into the city.

Drew

Reaction Score
Drew you do realize it's just a commuter campus right? They aren't opening dorms and moving 2500 people into the city.

No i did not, again I live in North Carolina and know nothing really about the state of CT or the rest of the uconn system, which i mentioned twice in my OP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom