UConn/Hartford City FC Friendly | April 1st - 6pm Newington

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Anyone go to this tonight? Curious to hear how it went

Reaction Score
Couldn't make it but they've scheduled another one for next Saturday vs CCSU:

Reaction Score
Absolutely zero Hartford highlights in the pro team's video nor even any quality shots on goal, corner kicks, etc. Conveniently, UConn's 2 goals also were not included. Quite an impressive showing for Hartford City FC's wool hat and glove wearing professionals of sorts! ;)

Reaction Score
Absolutely zero Hartford highlights in the pro team's video nor even any quality shots on goal, corner kicks, etc. Conveniently, UConn's 2 goals also were not included. Quite an impressive showing for Hartford City FC's wool hat and glove wearing professionals of sorts! ;)

That video is all about proof of life. I have no idea what the roster is but some of those guys looked pretty old.

Reaction Score
That video is all about proof of life. I have no idea what the roster is but some of those guys looked pretty old.
Never mind some of Hartford's players looking "pretty old" in their few minute video, most appeared alive yet how many looked pretty good? ;) With about a month until the first games of the NPSL's grueling 12 game season, what's the likelihood guys try out in pre-season games?

As of April 5, 2:30 pm, 29-year old goalkeeper and team captain, Hami Kara (Wethersfield HS '08, Pitt '12), is the only player in Hartford's online roster. Reportedly, Kara's full-time employment is as an insurance agent with The Hartford. Keeper, and insurer.

Reaction Score

I tried looking for Elm City's highlights.. and nothing. ;)

Reaction Score
Never mind some of Hartford's players looking "pretty old" in their few minute video, most appeared alive yet how many looked pretty good? ;) With about a month until the first games of the NPSL's grueling 12 game season, what's the likelihood guys try out in pre-season games?

As of April 5, 2:30 pm, 29-year old goalkeeper and team captain, Hami Kara (Wethersfield HS '08, Pitt '12), is the only player in Hartford's online roster. Reportedly, Kara's full-time employment is as an insurance agent with The Hartford. Keeper, and insurer.

It's a semi pro team. I don't think anyone in that league gets paid enough to play full time. Losing 2-0 to UConn in maybe the first time they played all together isn't terrible.

Reaction Score
And UConn's best player (from my understanding) was the only one to score.

Reaction Score
Indeed, a positive if such a video would be the equivalent of Hartford's PR blitz.

That PR blitz has them about to surpass 3,000 'likes' on Facebook which is a lot when compared to other NPSL teams, including Elm City.

Reaction Score
Indeed, a positive if such a video would be the equivalent of Hartford's PR blitz.

I think you have a bloated perception of what an NPSL team is/ought to be. This past winter the PDL, which is the USL's version of NPSL was trying to poach NPSL teams.

What was the bait? A check for a whopping $10,000. These are really small operations. That might pay a good portion of whatever field they rent to play practice on that season.

Detroit and Chattanooga are "big" but still probably nothing when compared to even a small USL team like the Tulsa Roughnecks.

Reaction Score
That PR blitz has them about to surpass 3,000 'likes' on Facebook which is a lot when compared to other NPSL teams, including Elm City.

I actually looked in the Hartford City store, some of their kit actually looks pretty cool. I might grab a T Shirt or something.

Reaction Score
Indeed, a positive if such likes are not bots and legitimately translate to people attending games. Someone pee in your Cheerios or something? ;)

Reaction Score
I think you have a bloated perception of what an NPSL team is/ought to be.
Nah, no perception exists and your insight is sincerely appreciated. Now, don't allow your head to get bloated.

Reaction Score
Indeed, a positive if such likes are not bots and legitimately translate to people attending games. Someone pee in your Cheerios or something? ;)

I think somebody pee'd in yours. I'm not the one getting uppity about this. ;)

Reaction Score
I think somebody pee'd in yours. I'm not the one getting uppity about this. ;)
Uppity, nah. Curious about the NPSL, its' new CT teams, and quite interested in ZooCougar's good insights yes, sure. On the other hand, appearance of defensiveness exists in each of your comments.

Reaction Score
Uppity, nah. Curious about the NPSL, its' new CT teams, and quite interested in ZooCougar's good insights yes, sure. On the other hand, appearance of defensiveness exists in each of your comments.

Hah! No big deal, just wanted you to be aware that it's kind of like criticizing kids running a lemonade stand on their accounting process.

I checked a few other NPSL team sites. Many of them are ludicrously out of date. Seems like Detroit and Chattanooga are the models.

Right now, Hartford City's biggest asset is probably the enthusiastic young owner and the fact that they already have a ready made supporter's group.

Reaction Score
Zoo, Got it, so the NPSL with a few possible exceptions is basically a semi-pro operation. If the Hartford and New Haven teams draw only a few hundred people not so good; a 1,000 people or so, the owners may break even or eke out a small profit; more fans and sales of some stuff (e.g., Hartford's t-shirts do look pretty good; maybe some kids' lemonade stands or even Cheerios) and with good luck may actually reap some accounting benefits on top of some potential entertainment value, community contribution, personal ego stroke, etc.

If understood correctly, beyond generally better than average pub league runs most players earn a few quid playing a sport they enjoy. For a fortunate few rare exceptions, perhaps a shot at a higher level.

For the players, fans and owners alike, ideally the Hartford and New Haven teams succeed and give Chattanooga and Detroit (until they move up) a run for their fan and accounting money. Thank you for your welcome good insights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom