UConn gets a visit and has offered a JC QB... | The Boneyard

UConn gets a visit and has offered a JC QB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To methis move makes a world of sense. Takes the pressure off the staff to have to limp along next year if Nebrich isn't ready, and gives us an experienced backup if he is. And it allows us to look at a position switch for mccummings who is too talented to only see the field 5 plays a game.

Reaction Score
"I'm going to be [at Butler County] for a year, and I know a lot of quarterbacks who are doing that as of late," Whitmer said. "I'll be able to get more and more repetitions. It's a good opportunity for me. I think it's a great opportunity to move and find a new style that fits me better than what we were doing.

"I'm looking for a more pro style with play action and bootlegs, drop under center and shotgun. I'm able to run, but I'd like to be a part of a pro style."

Reaction Score
Looks like he has 3 years of eligibility left, having burned a med rs his freshmen year under Zook at Illinois.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate. "But he is only 6' tall and his best offer, besides UConn is Memphis"

Reaction Score
To methis move makes a world of sense. Takes the pressure off the staff to have to limp along next year if Nebrich isn't ready, and gives us an experienced backup if he is. And it allows us to look at a position switch for mccummings who is too talented to only see the field 5 plays a game.

You mean like they did with Leonard Kinnard? Or like they did with Andre Dixon in '08 when he was "doghoused" behind Brown & Todman and relegated to the kickoff team? No way Dixon couldn't not have helped coming out of the backfield to catch the ball or even playing the slot.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As I've said, bringing in a JUCO QB is absolutely the right thing to do. We're not settled at QB. If Nebrich doesn't win the job, it allows him to take a redshirt.

Absolutely worth the schollie.

Reaction Score
He is VERY similiar to Cochran and Nebrich size wise. If he signs with us that'll give us 2 new qb's on campus in January

Reaction Score
Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate. "But he is only 6' tall and his best offer, besides UConn is Memphis"

Is he going to be better than our current pool? Who knows. Is he more likely to be of immediate help than, say, Dayne Crist (not that I have any idea if Crist would be interested)? Nope. So I am certainly not handing him, or anyone, the job.

My only point is that I would absolutely take the best JUCO or immediately eligible transfer I can get my hands on and see what happens when you add him to the mix.

Reaction Score
Is he going to be better than our current pool? Who knows. Is he more likely to be of immediate help than, say, Dayne Crist (not that I have any idea if Crist would be interested)? Nope. So I am certainly not handing him, or anyone, the job.

My only point is that I would absolutely take the best JUCO or immediately eligible transfer I can get my hands on and see what happens when you add him to the mix.
Exactly my view. I think there is still a lot of question about our quarterbacks, and if we can get someone who gives us another option I'm in favor. I'm not sure Crist is even available, and the number of experieinced quarterbacks who can transfer and play right away is exceedingly limited, Crist is the only one I've heard of so far.

Reaction Score
His Rivals "write up" from his senior year in HS reminds me a lot of Riley Skinners attributes (not Skinner's write up). 6' 1", deceptive speed, athletic, pocket presence where he can step out of pressure, good decision maker, accurate passer. We'll see if we get him, and if he's the answer, but glad to hear we are looking at additional QB options. Would love it if Cochran, and even Nebrich get their RS year, as I think both have the potential to be very good QB's by the time they're done here.

Reaction Score
You mean like they did with Leonard Kinnard? Or like they did with Andre Dixon in '08 when he was "doghoused" behind Brown & Todman and relegated to the kickoff team? No way Dixon couldn't not have helped coming out of the backfield to catch the ball or even playing the slot.

HUH? He was behind the two best running backs in UCONN history for heaven's sake and 2 guys who got picked in the NFL draft. And once Brown left, he came in and gained 1000 yards...and that was a different coaching staff and a different offensive philosophy on top of it all.

Reaction Score
Dixon was possibly the better of the two in '07. Todman was a true freshman that year and perhaps could have been red shirted (and still at UConn in '11). No way he should have fallen off the grid in '08 regardless of the bust out season DB had. At least use him coming out of the backfield. Oh and Todman of '08 was not the Todman of '09 & '10.

Reaction Score
Back to the topic. Whitmer has really nice throwing motion and technique, both in the pocket and on the run. He would be a great addition. He had a year at Illinois so he is acclimated to the speed of the game at the college level and put up some great numbers this year. He surpassed the passing record of Mettenburger who went from the same JUCO to LSU last year. The timeline is pretty short for JUCOs to decide if they want to enroll in January. There are quiet and dead periods in recruiting throughout December, and most JUCOs decide well before the holidays.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If he can read defenses, be accurate and on time with the ball, then line 'em all up. Hopefully someone will emerge and win the job.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul