UConn fouls, free throws and not getting tired... | The Boneyard

UConn fouls, free throws and not getting tired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
gabby vs nebraska.jpeg

This season, UConn is again shooting more free throws than their opponents, 187 to 116. The Huskies are also making a higher percentage from the charity stripe, 78.1% vs 62.1%. The free throw defense is definitely better, since in the past two seasons, opponents made 67.5% and 68.7% of their free throws. :cool:

UConn's 146 made free throws are more than twice the 72 opponents have made. That works out to just under 7 points per game advantage for the Huskies. The majority of those points are coming from three of the Core Four players, Katie Lou, Napheesa and Kia. KLS is 34-41 or 82.9%, while Pheesa is 36-44 or 81.8%. Kia is better than both of them at 36-40 or 90%. Together, those three are 106-125 or 85%. Interestingly, their 4th quarter accuracy is actually better than when the game starts. They don't miss free throws, even when tired. :p

Geno has always emphasized not fouling shooters. Opponents have been fouled 154 times, but have taken only 116 charity tries. Of those attempts, they have made only 72. UConn, on the other hand, has been fouled a total of 191 times and taken 187 free throws. That is almost one free throw for every foul. And, the Huskies have made 146 or those 187 shots (78.1%).

So, when it comes to fouls and free throws, the Huskies foul less, make more and don't get tired. ;)

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
That "free throw defense" is a very tough thing to master. :D
Geno said in the past ---Free throw Defense was his expertise--what he teaches---When the team is shooting FT's poorly or badly (think of that one)*** he then say s Christine is the FT coach. He is nothing if he is not gracious for taking on the responsibilities of coaching.
***can't shoot Ft's with gloves on

Being Happy does not mean everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond imperfections.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pheese had a better percentage last year.
So did a lot of others.

Players who shot better last year:

Pheesa .818, down from .917

Lou .829, down slightly from .837

Gabby .680, down from .750

Saniya .643, down from .857

Players shooting better this year:

Kia .900, up from .754 (Kia has become an elite shooter)

Nat .667, up from .605

The team led the nation last year at .800. This year's team is at a still-very-good .781.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For many players, FT accuracy tends to decline with fatigue. With all of last year's returnees playing more minutes, it is not surprising that some have lower FT percentages than last year.

Great FT shooters are able to concentrate and focus on their mechanics, even when they are tired. Kia is a great FT shooter. I also expect Lou & Pheesa to become great FT shooters even when tired. Right now they are both pretty good.

Reaction Score
Players who shot better last year:
Pheesa .818, down from .917
Lou .829, down slightly from .837
Gabby .680, down from .750
Saniya .643, down from .857

Players shooting better this year:
Kia .900, up from .754 (Kia has become an elite shooter)
Nat .667, up from .605

The team led the nation last year at .800. This year's team is at a still-very-good .781.

You're comparing percentages for 11 games versus an entire season. Hardly proves anything, one way or the other.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You're comparing percentages for 11 games versus an entire season. Hardly proves anything, one way or the other.
It's roughly 30% of a season vs. a full season. That's the best info we have as of today. The team has dropped slightly from last year. My expectation is that Pheesa, Gabby, Saniya, and maybe Lou will shoot a little better over the last 25+ games and Kia may edge down a little. I'd love to see the team shoot .820, but I wouldn't be unhappy at .780.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For many players, FT accuracy tends to decline with fatigue. With all of last year's returnees playing more minutes, it is not surprising that some have lower FT percentages than last year.

Great FT shooters are able to concentrate and focus on their mechanics, even when they are tired. Kia is a great FT shooter. I also expect Lou & Pheesa to become great FT shooters even when tired. Right now they are both pretty good.
I agree with the idea about fatigue. I wonder, though, if the tightness of some games has increased their focus.

I also agree that Kia has become a great FT shooter. She's practically automatic. I recall that she struggled the first half of her freshman year, but both she and Gabby have made great strides. I expect Lou to shoot close to .900 some season.

Reaction Score
It's roughly 30% of a season vs. a full season. That's the best info we have as of today. The team has dropped slightly from last year. My expectation is that Pheesa, Gabby, Saniya, and maybe Lou will shoot a little better over the last 25+ games and Kia may edge down a little. I'd love to see the team shoot .820, but I wouldn't be unhappy at .780.

That's my point, comparing results of the first 11 games to that of an entire season is basically a waste of time and proves nothing in reality.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's my point, comparing results of the first 11 games to that of an entire season is basically a waste of time and proves nothing in reality.
I'd disagree. It's not as if the Huskies have played only 2 or 3 games. Eleven games is a reasonable sample size. That doesn't mean that the 2016-17 final stats will match the current stats, but I think it is illuminating and not a waste of time.

JS

Reaction Score
You made that point previously.

If results from the first third of a season differ by much from results over the previous entire season, one can view that as relevant information leading to discussion of the possible reason(s).

At the risk of condescension, saying that other people's posts are a waste of time is a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom