UConn Football | The Boneyard

UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To preface, I'm not one of the disconnected basketball fans calling for the Athletic Department to abolish the program so that we can move back to the Big East. Though I'm not a die-hard like some of the guys on the football board, I have watched a fair amount of UConn football over the last few years, including about 75% of their games this year, and even attended my first game in August against BYU. I enjoy supporting them and rooting for them, even if they suck.

But at what point does this program, if it hasn't already, begin to drain the life out of the secondary programs (basketball, field hockey, soccer, etc.)? For how long can an inert football program stand in direct resistance to the progress of other sectors of the Athletic Department, to the extent that, in the interim, they would likely be notably better off without its existence?

As I'm sure you know, 0-11 Southern Methodist - ranked as the second worst team in FBS by FEI - just waltzed into the Rent and not only beat UConn but also thoroughly outplayed them for most of the game. For as disastrous as the 2013 season was, the consensus heading into this year was that our success wouldn't be measured on wins and losses as much as improvement that persisted throughout the year. And, barring a brief two game stretch of hope in late October, that this season could be characterized indisputably as demoralizing means that this program isn't just starved for success, but also devoid of hope.

And as I watched today's comically unending steam of blown assignments, dropped passes, muffed punts, blocked field goals, missed extra points and poor ball security - all traits associated with poorly-coached football teams - I became more convinced than ever that there are several FCS teams that would beat UConn soundly on a neutral field.

Two years ago, I went to five UConn basketball games. All of them were conference opponents - I saw Louisville, Syracuse, and Cincinnati in Hartford, Georgetown in Storrs, and Providence at the Dunk. This season, I will not be attending any UConn basketball games, not because I don't love the team, but because it's hard to justify paying traveling three hours to and from, leaving early from obligations, and spending over $50 to watch mediocre basketball teams.

Incidentally, one basketball team I'd love to see us play regularly - Villanova - could probably beat us in football if we played next Saturday. Essentially, we have the worst of both worlds - a football team worthy of the Big East and a basketball schedule of AAC opponents. That dynamic is tough to stomach, even if committing to football was the right decision over the long haul.

I don't say this out of self-pity, but to openly wonder about at what point people like me not showing up to games anymore forces the AD's hand. Likewise, I can't imagine people are going to be lining up at the window for football season tickets next year, and coaches salaries need to be paid. I'm not proposing anything here, just looking to answers for questions that aren't going away. And if there are any legs to the rumors that Memphis and Cincinnati may be heading to the Big Twelve, I just cannot imagine that the AAC is a viable short or long term option for this Univeristy.

Reaction Score
If Cincy and Memphis go to Big 12 we really have no choice but to move our football program independent or drop it all together and then try to get into ACC for all sports but football or in the New Big East. These are dark times again for Uconn even though we just won dual NCAA championships in hoops

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The football program isnt going anywhere.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Cincy and Memphis aren't going to the BXII this year. But even if they did UConn would not drop football, a bunch more stuff would have to happen over the course of a few years for us to take that step. Since the football program has been one kick in the nuts after another I have to concede that it isn't impossible, but it would be a drawn out, agonizing process.

Reaction Score
When they drop football, it will also be time to mothball basketball and everything else.

When multiple people from the p5 talk about the eventual split between the P5 and the NCAA in all sports, you gotta pay a little attention to it, no?

Reaction Score
SaeHusky said:
If Cincy and Memphis go to Big 12 we really have no choice but to move our football program independent or drop it all together and then try to get into ACC for all sports but football or in the New Big East. These are dark times again for Uconn even though we just won dual NCAA championships in hoops

There's no incentive for the NBE to take us. We don't match their profile any more of small private Catholic schools, and they have St. John's and Seton Hall for the NY market, and a big state school would have a competitive advantage. Nor would the ACC ever want to share money with a non football school it rejected when it had football.

If we went the route of dropping football, we'd probably have to be prepared to settle for the A10 and a random mish mosh of URI, St. Bonaventure, George Mason, etc. Unless the NBE wanted to throw us a life preserver because they like us.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Sadly, look who is laughing now.

jesus_laughing41.jpg

:(

Reaction Score
We can join the ACC and not get any of the football money. Since they have ND they need one more team to even things out. I don't know what to say at this point - all I know is that the future is very scary for our athletics at this point

Reaction Score
To preface, I'm not one of the disconnected basketball fans calling for the Athletic Department to abolish the program so that we can move back to the Big East. Though I'm not a die-hard like some of the guys on the football board, I have watched a fair amount of UConn football over the last few years, including about 75% of their games this year, and even attended my first game in August against BYU. I enjoy supporting them and rooting for them, even if they suck.

But at what point does this program, if it hasn't already, begin to drain the life out of the secondary programs (basketball, field hockey, soccer, etc.)? For how long can an inert football program stand in direct resistance to the progress of other sectors of the Athletic Department, to the extent that, in the interim, they would likely be notably better off without its existence?

As I'm sure you know, 0-11 Southern Methodist - ranked as the second worst team in FBS by FEI - just waltzed into the Rent and not only beat UConn but also thoroughly outplayed them for most of the game. For as disastrous as the 2013 season was, the consensus heading into this year was that our success wouldn't be measured on wins and losses as much as improvement that persisted throughout the year. And, barring a brief two game stretch of hope in late October, that this season could be characterized indisputably as demoralizing means that this program isn't just starved for success, but also devoid of hope.

And as I watched today's comically unending steam of blown assignments, dropped passes, muffed punts, blocked field goals, missed extra points and poor ball security - all traits associated with poorly-coached football teams - I became more convinced than ever that there are several FCS teams that would beat UConn soundly on a neutral field.

Two years ago, I went to five UConn basketball games. All of them were conference opponents - I saw Louisville, Syracuse, and Cincinnati in Hartford, Georgetown in Storrs, and Providence at the Dunk. This season, I will not be attending any UConn basketball games, not because I don't love the team, but because it's hard to justify paying traveling three hours to and from, leaving early from obligations, and spending over $50 to watch mediocre basketball teams.

Incidentally, one basketball team I'd love to see us play regularly - Villanova - could probably beat us in football if we played next Saturday. Essentially, we have the worst of both worlds - a football team worthy of the Big East and a basketball schedule of AAC opponents. That dynamic is tough to stomach, even if committing to football was the right decision over the long haul.

I don't say this out of self-pity, but to openly wonder about at what point people like me not showing up to games anymore forces the AD's hand. Likewise, I can't imagine people are going to be lining up at the window for football season tickets next year, and coaches salaries need to be paid. I'm not proposing anything here, just looking to answers for questions that aren't going away. And if there are any legs to the rumors that Memphis and Cincinnati may be heading to the Big Twelve, I just cannot imagine that the AAC is a viable short or long term option for this Univeristy.
Football has drained our secondary programs so much that they keep winning championships. Duke and Kentucky's storied football histories over the years has elevated their basketball programs to greatness.

Reaction Score
Football has drained our secondary programs so much that they keep winning championships. Duke and Kentucky's storied football histories over the years has elevated their basketball programs to greatness.

Are Duke and Kentucky in the AAC?

Reaction Score
Are Duke and Kentucky in the AAC?
No but if that is your only point then it seems to me your post should have been one sentence long. Saying football is draining the life out of our secondary programs just isn't true.

Reaction Score
No but if that is your only point then it seems to me your post should have been one sentence long. Saying football is draining the life out of our secondary programs just isn't true.

Right, but I never made that point. I'm still very optimistic about the outlook of our basketball program, at least in the near future.

I'm just wondering where the dollars are coming from. Ollie is making $1.3 million, Auriemma $1.2 million, and Diaco $1.5 million. Meanwhile, the biggest revenue generator - football - is a mess. If the football program folded tomorrow, hardly any of the students would care. It's just a complete non-entity - they play 30 minutes from campus and the team hasn't been good in four years. There just isn't any sort of connection between the school and the program, so you're already relying on a limited sample of people as the foundation of your fan base, and even that narrow base is shrinking by the game. The basketball teams have no problem selling tickets...when they're playing a good opponent, which won't be often in the current alignment. If people like me aren't going to games anymore that's not a great sign. And the other big revenue generator - TV money - is a fraction of what it is for other conferences.

So the question I apparently worded poorly in the OP isn't "can we survive this?" but rather "how long can we survive this?" The exit fees we collected from the demise of the Big East will keep us afloat for a while, I'm sure, and I'm definitely not proposing any radical changes...yet. But this whole football thing...you gotta think it has an expiration date if it remains in its current form. You just can't operate on an FBS budget with an FCS product.

Reaction Score
I just got in from the Rent. Stayed till the end and watched the UCMB perform it's last post game show of 2014. We are all beyond frustrated, but your post is going in too many directions. Whats is your concern?

BTW...thats a nice list of cherry picked games you attended two seasons ago. What about the Sontybrook, NH and Maryland Eastern Shore games?

Reaction Score
I just got in from the Rent. Stayed till the end and watched the UCMB perform it's last post game show of 2014. We are all beyond frustrated, but your post is going in too many directions. Whats is your concern?

BTW...thats a nice list of cherry picked games you attended two seasons ago. What about the Sontybrook, NH and Maryland Eastern Shore games?

See the post above yours. The entire point of the cherry picked games was to emphasize the fact that I'm the type of fan who is more likely to go to games when they're playing good teams. I imagine I'm not alone. The original point wasn't intended to be a complaint as much as it was a question about whether this current model is sustainable moving forward.

Reaction Score
My father and I were Gampel season ticket holders for the first time last year and it was very reasonable at only $150, but looking at the schedule this year we didn't even bother, not to mention they raised prices coming off the NC. They already played their 1 good game this year against Texas (not looking like Memphis, Cincinatti, or SMU will be much). Many people are misunderstanding what is meant when you say that the football program is sucking the life out of the basketball program. They are denying the basketball team their right to play against the competition they deserve to, not to mention the AAC is no recruitment perk. We haven't seen the full effects of what being in a conference like this will do to us because many of the players on last year's NC team developed while UConn was playing legitimate competition regularly. Playing cupcake teams during conference play is only going to show us how well UConn plays down to the level of their opponents, rather than how well they can grow and improve while playing legitimate competition. Unless something changes quickly (the football team improves, or God willing we can get into another conference) we will start to see the adverse effects of being in a very poor conference such as the AAC. Just the views of a 16 year old lifelong UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Can we all just agree that UConn made a wonderful, surprising run to its fourth national championship last year so that all these entirely retrospective posts don't pop up every time someone posts something less than sanguine about the future?

Reaction Score
My father and I were Gampel season ticket holders for the first time last year and it was very reasonable at only $150, but looking at the schedule this year we didn't even bother, not to mention they raised prices coming off the NC. They already played their 1 good game this year against Texas (not looking like Memphis, Cincinatti, or SMU will be much). Many people are misunderstanding what is meant when you say that the football program is sucking the life out of the basketball program. They are denying the basketball team their right to play against the competition they deserve to, not to mention the AAC is no recruitment perk. We haven't seen the full effects of what being in a conference like this will do to us because many of the players on last year's NC team developed while UConn was playing legitimate competition regularly. Playing cupcake teams during conference play is only going to show us how well UConn plays down to the level of their opponents, rather than how well they can grow and improve while playing legitimate competition. Unless something changes quickly (the football team improves, or God willing we can get into another conference) we will start to see the adverse effects of being in a very poor conference such as the AAC. Just the views of a 16 year old lifelong UConn fan.

Thank You. Your response was exactly what I had in mind. If die-hard fans like you and your father aren't going to games anymore, then the Athletic Department is going to have a problem. Maybe not this season, fresh off a national title with plenty of season tickets already sold. But when Rhode Island is playing a tougher home schedule than you, and your TV deal isn't great, and you're still paying three coaches seven figures...I mean, at some point the well has to dry up and the AD is going to have some tough decisions to make.

Reaction Score
Thank You. Your response was exactly what I had in mind. If die-hard fans like you and your father aren't going to games anymore, then the Athletic Department is going to have a problem. Maybe not this season, fresh off a national title with plenty of season tickets already sold. But when Rhode Island is playing a tougher home schedule than you, and your TV deal isn't great, and you're still paying three coaches seven figures...I mean, at some point the well has to dry up and the AD is going to have some tough decisions to make.
Thanks. It is only a matter of time before major problems will begin to arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom