UConn Football .. there are a lot of things to look forward to seeing this season.. | The Boneyard

UConn Football .. there are a lot of things to look forward to seeing this season..

Reaction Score
We still have some positives for our UConn football program..

1- we definately recruited kids that I think could make an immediate impact this fall with Jucos as well as a QB who I think might surprise a lot of you.. the QB comp will be good to see.. may the best man win..
2-the freshman that played last year are now sophomores with a year under their belt and more experienced equals better playing
3-Giufre is still here and will continue what he’s taught to the offense and Oline., and he’s done a decent job .. he’s had experience in the NFL with the Colts as the OL assistant coach from 2013-2017
4- Our new strength and conditioning coach is making a huge improvement with the team
5-Coach Spanos as our defensive coordinator brings his NFL experience from the Steelers and Redskins to coach our defense and we should see a huge improvement come fall..

I know Dunn leaving threw us all for a loop this morning .. there is not much we can do .. we are stuck in the AAC so we need to move on from the complaining.. will we get the top recruits?? Probably not .. but . I’m still believing Edsall can turn this around. Any Coach that gives 150000 of his salary to try to keep a coach on his staff tells me something about the man.. I’m in until this year plays out. Let’s see what Edsall does this year before we bail completely on the program..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone needs to make Nipsey Russell "sure your right" gif, from the movie wildcats.

Reaction Score
"It's the sport of kings.
Better than diamond rings.
That's why we're here to sing,
'Football'."

Playing Sundays in the snow,
Hearing referees whistles blow,
That's why you should know

Football...Wildcats

An underrated movie for sure. Trujillo, Finch, Byrd.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Playing Sundays in the snow,
Hearing referees whistles blow,
That's why you should know

Football...Wildcats

An underrated movie for sure. Trujillo, Finch, Byrd.

I might be the only person in the world that thinks of that movie when I see Woody Harrelson. Or, maybe there's two of us... ;)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have maintained that the middle of next year was going to be the marked improvement phase. As the eternal optimist and a RE believer, I think we can get 5 wins this year!!. I'm buying!!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
First year I'll go into the first game expecting a loss. This killed the optimist in me.

Reaction Score
giphy-downsized.gif

Reaction Score
I have maintained that the middle of next year was going to be the marked improvement phase. As the eternal optimist and a RE believer, I think we can get 5 wins this year!!. I'm buying!!

I've got Wagner, Illinois, ECU, Navy and UMASS as likely or possible wins in 2019. So, yes, 5 wins is a reasonable target for the "realistic optimists" on the board. If I had to bet on a number I would say 3 wins -- Wagner, the Illini and UMASS. Anything less would be a disappointment.

Reaction Score
We still have some positives for our UConn football program..

1- we definately recruited kids that I think could make an immediate impact this fall with Jucos as well as a QB who I think might surprise a lot of you.. the QB comp will be good to see.. may the best man win..
2-the freshman that played last year are now sophomores with a year under their belt and more experienced equals better playing
3-Giufre is here and will continue what he’s taught to the offense and Oline., and he’s done a decent job .. he’s had experience in the NFL with the Colts as the OL assistant coach from 2013-2017
4- Our new strength and conditioning coach is making a huge improvement with the team
5-Coach Spanos as our defensive coordinator brings his NFL experience from the Steelers and Redskins to coach our defense and we should see a huge improvement come fall..

I know Dunn leaving threw us all for a loop this morning .. there is not much we can do .. we are stuck in the AAC so we need to move on from the complaining.. will we get the top recruits?? Probably not .. but . I’m still believing Edsall can turn this around. Any Coach that gives 150000 of his salary to try to keep a coach on his staff tells me something about the man.. I’m in until this year plays out. Let’s see what Edsall does this year before we bail completely on the program..
I expect junior Tyler Coyle to make all conference. Keyion Dixon will be a junior as well. Dillon Harris will make an immediate impact at LB. Travis Jones, Pierce DeVaughn, Kevon Jones, and Lwal Uguak will all be sophmores. All that being said I expect the defense to show a marked improvement. The incoming freshman class has ten 3 star players, and I don't know why any of the usual "knowledgeable" posters on this board have bothered to point that out. Considering where we came from, it's a pretty good class.

Connecticut 2019 Football Commits

Reaction Score
I expect junior Tyler Coyle to make all conference. Keyion Dixon will be a junior as well. Dillon Harris will make an immediate impact at LB. Travis Jones, Pierce DeVaughn, Kevon Jones, and Lwal Uguak will all be sophmores. All that being said I expect the defense to show a marked improvement. The incoming freshman class has ten 3 star players, and I don't know why any of the usual "knowledgeable" posters on this board have bothered to point that out. Considering where we came from, it's a pretty good class.

Connecticut 2019 Football Commits

According to 247 who gives those stars, our class is currently ranked 126 this year. Last year it was 106, '17 was 101, and' 16 was 99. This year's recruiting was significantly worse than the prior three years.

Reaction Score
According to 247 who gives those stars, our class is currently ranked 126 this year. Last year it was 106, '17 was 101, and' 16 was 99. This year's recruiting was significantly worse than the prior three years.

Rankings are inflated by gigantic class sizes. If you go by quality of recruit (average recruit ranking), we rank 98th this year.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is the basis of my optimism: kids who were freshman and should have redshirted are now sophomores. They will be bigger and stronger. With a new voice in Spanos leading the charge, they will have renewed confidence. Last year, the D line other than Jones and Fines was just too small. The next piece is Kevon Jones becoming better and Harris stepping in and doing his thing at LB. Finally, the DB's have a good coach and after everyone saw time, the last two years. It isn't inexperienced anymore - now it is getting physically stronger and regaining confidence. Remember - Matt King gets these kids for 4 months and spring practice is going to be spent on fundamentals. I expect a huge defensive improvement.

Offensively, we will be different. Pindell was effective with his feet- not his arm. He had to run but a lot of times he ran before really getting through his progressions. I expect Krajewski to be the QB and if he is- he will stay in the pocket more. We have speed on the outside and will utilize it better this year.

The OLine returns 4 of 5 guys. They are finally on the field when they should be from a strength standpoint - but now with good experience. They will open holes and pass protect better. Mensah and Thompkins, Donevin O'Reilly and even Black will give us a combo of speed, breaking tackles and wiggle.

Last years product was crap. From a player improvement standpoint the same guys will get better because they are older and have another year in the weight room and gained experience. We will be more competitive(not that hard but an important step) and by regain confidence.

Reaction Score
Why do jerks like you insist on posting misinformation that makes things look even bleaker for UConn football? This incoming class is rated 0.8100 by 247 and is the highest rated class for UConn football since the 2013 class which was rated 0.8132. The fact that other AAC teams are out recruiting us now on a comparative level means the conference as a whole is recruiting better. So Edsall does have more work to do on the recruiting front. That being said, this incoming class is by any measure the best and highest rated we have seen since 2013.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You've come to the wrong place for optimism - the Yard is where it goes to die. You get points for trying, though.
Yeah well just be careful who you believe on this board when pure BS gets posted. If you want to argue ticket prices or coaching hires or wins and losses, I'm all for it, but arguing that recruiting is getting worse and worse is just not true. Prospective recruits read this board but so do other posters that might have a different agenda.

Reaction Score
Why do jerks like you insist on posting misinformation that makes things look even bleaker for UConn football? This incoming class is rated 0.8100 by 247 and is the highest rated class for UConn football since the 2013 class which was rated 0.8132. The fact that other AAC teams are out recruiting us now on a comparative level means the conference as a whole is recruiting better. So Edsall does have more work to do on the recruiting front. That being said, this incoming class is by any measure the best and highest rated we have seen since 2013.
So if we had one 4 star player and no one else in the class you would say we had one of the top classes in the country? You trust their method of ranking the individual players 3 stars, but do not trust their method for ranking the class? In general, it would probably be seen as inconsistent to pick and choose from the same source what you think is credible, especially when what you pick happens to align with what your desired outcome is. Either the way 247 ranks players and teams is credible or its not, but choosing the data that aligns with your wishes and discarding that which doesn't, makes you seem much less credible in your take.

Reaction Score
Rankings are inflated by gigantic class sizes. If you go by quality of recruit (average recruit ranking), we rank 98th this year.
So if we had one 4 star guy and no one else then we would have one of the best classes in the country? The numbers do matter to the class in some manner.

Reaction Score
So if we had one 4 star player and no one else in the class you would say we had one of the top classes in the country? You trust their method of ranking the individual players 3 stars, but do not trust their method for ranking the class? In general, it would probably be seen as inconsistent to pick and choose from the same source what you think is credible, especially when what you pick happens to align with what your desired outcome is. Either the way 247 ranks players and teams is credible or its not, but choosing the data that aligns with your wishes and discarding that which doesn't, makes you seem much less credible in your take.
A classes ranking is not the same as a classes rating. The one on thin ice here is you!!! This class is definitely better than the last three.

Btw....the 2013 class had both Tim Boyle and Richard Lagow.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom