UConn Football - scheduling ahead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football - scheduling ahead

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm aware that it would require an exemption from the NCAA, and it would be a second FCS game that wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility, but if we are facing a reality where we only have 5 home games in 2021 or 2022 I'd much rather try to play a 6th home game against Yale than I would play a random road game (even if it's P5) that is outside of driving distance.
Interesting take. Well you can pretty much set up a second FCS game at the drop of a hat - so I'm sure its an option at the end of the list. The opponent wont be Yale however - the Ivies don't play FBS.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Interesting take. Well you can pretty much set up a second FCS game at the drop of a hat - so I'm sure its an option at the end of the list. The opponent wont be Yale however - the Ivies don't play FBS.
Which is why it would require an exemption from the NCAA to allow it to happen. Army had to do a similar process in 2014- and they actually played at the Yale Bowl.

UNLV and UTSA are the only FBS programs in need of a FBS OOC opponent in 2021. However, UTSA already has two OOC road games scheduled.

So if UConn adds a home game versus UNLV, and a road game versus UTSA, UConn will still need one more FBS opponent in 2021.

FBS programs yet to announce a 2021 game versus a FCS opponent:
P5: Tenn, Maryland, BC, TCU.
G5: Houston, UNLV, USM, UAB, FIU, ODU, ULM.
(UCF ant MTSU are also yet to schedule a FCS opponent, both are already scheduled to play UConn in 2021).

There are also 4 teams that can and have yet to schedule an extra game due to the Hawaii exemption: New Mexico St, Colorado (no incentive to play us in EH), San Diego St, San Jose St (we're not going out there 2 years in a row).

To me playing a home game v Yale is much more interesting than another road game than any of the G5 trips on there. And given we already have games against every school except TCU on the road scheduled in the future, I'd rather have a 6th home game at the Rent. The home schedule in 2021 is Holy Cross, Wyoming, Middle Tennessee, and Purdue. Potentially add UNLV to that list. That's pretty gross and a game v Yale will draw a bigger crowd than all except Purdue most likely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm aware that it would require an exemption from the NCAA, and it would be a second FCS game that wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility, but if we are facing a reality where we only have 5 home games in 2021 or 2022 I'd much rather try to play a 6th home game against Yale than I would play a random road game (even if it's P5) that is outside of driving distance.
If you want a 2nd fcs Game breaking up Penn State Villanova next year makes tons of sense. We go to Happy Valley and Villanova comes to the Rent. Plus it goes a long way toward filling our schedule. of course we’d have to move Wyoming or Penn State since both are 9/25

Reaction Score
Which is why it would require an exemption from the NCAA to allow it to happen. Army had to do a similar process in 2014- and they actually played at the Yale Bowl.

Yup... and at least on paper (?in paper?) Yale would be interested:

>>Robin Harris doesn’t like the NCAA bowl eligibility rule that handcuffs her august group of schools’ football scheduling against FBS teams. And the Ivy League executive director is right.

Yale coach Tony Reno says he’d love to play UConn.<<

>>“I agree,” Reno said. “We want to play at our highest level. To play UConn would be incredible for us. I think it would be great for the state. For our kids to have that experience, to play an instate rival, would be awesome. To go play Air Force, to go play Army, to go play Navy, Rice, that opportunity would be great for our guys.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

UNLV and UTSA are the only FBS programs in need of a FBS OOC opponent in 2021. However, UTSA already has two OOC road games scheduled.

So if UConn adds a home game versus UNLV, and a road game versus UTSA, UConn will still need one more FBS opponent in 2021.

FBS programs yet to announce a 2021 game versus a FCS opponent:
P5: Tenn, Maryland, BC, TCU.
G5: Houston, UNLV, USM, UAB, FIU, ODU, ULM.
(UCF ant MTSU are also yet to schedule a FCS opponent, both are already scheduled to play UConn in 2021).

There are also 4 teams that can and have yet to schedule an extra game due to the Hawaii exemption: New Mexico St, Colorado (no incentive to play us in EH), San Diego St, San Jose St (we're not going out there 2 years in a row).

To me playing a home game v Yale is much more interesting than another road game than any of the G5 trips on there. And given we already have games against every school except TCU on the road scheduled in the future, I'd rather have a 6th home game at the Rent. The home schedule in 2021 is Holy Cross, Wyoming, Middle Tennessee, and Purdue. Potentially add UNLV to that list. That's pretty gross and a game v Yale will draw a bigger crowd than all except Purdue most likely.

Nice research...but I think this will come down to breaking up an existing series and maybe convincing two schools that ordinarily play an FCS opponent to play us instead.

Seems like we are on track to have the 2021 schedule made public soon...

Drew

Reaction Score
If you want a 2nd fcs Game breaking up Penn State Villanova next year makes tons of sense. We go to Happy Valley and Villanova comes to the Rent. Plus it goes a long way toward filling our schedule. Plus we have an open spot 9/25 I think though it could be Wyoming
Yeah I'm thinking we'll probably work to break up an existing game like we did with Wyoming/Clemson and we'll hit a road game and gain a home game and then add a series with UNLV to get to 6 home games in 2021. I don't think that we'd break up another contract for a second FCS game, perhaps we could break up Ball State/PSU instead and host BSU while going to PSU on 9/11. Or maybe break up Nebraska v Buffalo and host the Bulls in 2021 while making the trip to Lincoln.

Drew

Reaction Score
Nice research...but I think this will come down to breaking up an existing series and maybe convincing two schools that ordinarily play an FCS opponent to play us instead.

Seems like we are on track to have the 2021 schedule made public soon...
If we break up a game I'd like us to host Buffalo and make the trip to Nebraska. Somewhat local opponent that we have future games lined up against and have played in the past.

Reaction Score
It has disappeared for now....probably will resurface when the balance of the 2021 schedule is made public.
Plus I think it needs to be moved anyway. Not playing on Saturday in Fresno flying across the country and playing Thursday night in East Hartford Which is how it was listed before. Im guessing. We play someone new on Saturday 9/4 and Holy Cross shows up 10/2 or 10/16. Maybe even 11/6 depending on how things play out. November games are the toughest to get for an Indy Since that is high season for conference games. Look at BYU and you see that They have Dixie State or Northern Alabama or Southern Utah or Idaho State on the November slate. Which btw is why we should be working to get UMass and Army moved to November for the long term. Love to get BYU in the mix too

Drew

Reaction Score
Plus I think it needs to be moved anyway. Not playing on Saturday in Fresno flying across the country and playing Thursday night in East Hartford Which is how it was listed before. Im guessing. We play someone new on Saturday 9/4 and Holy Cross shows up 10/2 or 10/16. Maybe even 11/6 depending on how things play out. November games are the toughest to get for an Indy Since that is high season for conference games. Look at BYU and you see that They have Dixie State or Northern Alabama or Southern Utah or Idaho State on the November slate. Which btw is why we should be working to get UMass and Army moved to November for the long term. Love to get BYU in the mix too
Believe that Fresno game is in week 0

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Updated based on new scheduling information

2020 schedule complete - hypothetical start times added (guestimated with input from Randy)
Sept. 3: UMASS - Noon on SNY
Sept. 12: at Illinois
Sept. 19: at Virginia
Sept. 26: INDIANA - Noon on CBSsportsNet!
Oct. 3: OLD DOMINION - Noon on SNY!
Oct. 10: MAINE** - Noon on SNY!
Oct. 24: at Ole Miss
Oct. 31: LIBERTY - Noon on CBSsportNet!
Nov. 7: at North Carolina
Nov. 14: at San Jose St.
Nov. 21 MIDDLE TENNESSEE - Noon on CBSsportNet!
Nov. 28: ARMY - Noon CBSsportNet!

2021 - need four games - wild guesses below hit on BYU, Pitt or some way to get into Texas.
Aug. 28: Fresno State
Sept. 11: PURDUE
Sept. 18: at Army
Sept. 25: WYOMING <--rumored game/date is a guess game is confirmed - wild guess was correct.
Oct. 2: at UMass
Oct. 9: at Maryland or BC <--Convince either one to play us instead of their usual FCS game.
Oct. 16: [insert any FCS team here - could be Holy Cross]

Oct. 23: Middle Tennessee.
Oct. 30: at BYU <--break up BYU/UVA game or BYU/Georgia Southern game..or Pitt/West Mich or Texas/Rice.
Nov. 7: VIRGINIA <--break up BYU/UVA game or BYU/Georgia Southern game..or Pitt/West Mich or Texas/Rice.

Nov. 13: at Clemson
Nov. 21: at UCF

2022 - need one game
Aug. 27: at Utah State
Sept. 3: CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
Sept 10: SYRACUSE
Sept 17: at Michigan
Sept. 24: at N.C. State
Oct, 1: FRESNO STATE
Oct 8: at FIU <--guess that we would link up with FIU was correct
Oct. 15: at Ball State
Oct. 29: BOSTON COLLEGE
Nov. 5: at Rutgers <--this would mean Rutgers skips playing an FCS...seems unlikely (but they already planned to skip FCS in 2023 so its not w/o precedent ) or new H&H series with Coastal Carolina
Nov. 12: LIBERTY
Nov. 19: at Army

2023 - need four games -
Sept. 2: DUKE
Sept. 9: LAFAYETTE
Sept: 16: at Stanford <--they have an FBS opening. Why not? new H&H
Sept. 23: N.C. STATE
Sept. 30: UTAH STATE
Oct. 7: at BYU <--new 2 or 4 game series - BYU has unfilled slots in 2023+
Oct. 14: FIU
Oct. 21: at Georgia State or UCF <--new H&H series - need games in FL or GA.

Oct. 28: at Boston College
Nov. 4: at Tennessee
Nov. 11: at Liberty
Nov. 18: NORTH TEXAS - new series<--need to establish a series with any school in TX given recruiting. Doesn't match which one... Consider this a placeholder for anything TX.

2024 - need seven games

Aug. 31: at Maryland
Sept. 7: ARMY
Sept. 14: at Duke
Sept. 21 insert TBD FCS Home Game Here
Sept. 28: BUFFALO
Oct. 5: TEMPLE <--wild guess for a Temple series starting in 2024 was correct, even got the date right.
Oct. 12: STANFORD <--return game for new series
Oct: 19: at North Texas <--return game (or pick any school in Texas)
Oct. 28: BYU <--return game
Nov. 4: RUTGERS <--new H&H?
Nov. 11: at Coastal Carolina - return game
Nov. 18: at TBD for a big time buy game. South Carolina, Penn State have a slot. Baylor, TCU, Kansas also have open dates in 2024.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the insights
All these schedules look interesting in that they bring in both local and across country familiar names and interesting match-ups
Certainly can't hurt recruitment and I think we have seen this in the past few months
Bigger, quicker, stronger, more athletic - LOVE IT

Reaction Score
Not a bad thought but there will be bye weeks and some of the series will need to be rethought in terms of when they are played and such. For example we are not playing 4 straight road games as you show in 2023 and 24. I think there will be another home game in 2022.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not a bad thought but there will be bye weeks and some of the series will need to be rethought in terms of when they are played and such. For example we are not playing 4 straight road games as you show in 2023 and 24. I think there will be another home game in 2022.
Too hard to figure out how the road/home balance within a season will be fixed so I ignored it for now. Same with bye weeks. It gets too confusing if I attempt to shift some pre-existing games here in an effort to create bye weeks and home/road streak balance. I am aiming for a big picture sketch, details will be refined by reality.

Drew

Reaction Score
@Exit 4 Looks awesome man except the UMass game this year is on Thursday so playing at noon on SNY would be a wild move. More likely going to be 7:30.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Exit 4 Looks awesome man except the UMass game this year is on Thursday so playing at noon on SNY would be a wild move. More likely going to be 7:30.
Oh right. But its Randy and Randy prefers 11am, but noon if we must accommodate tv people. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom