UConn Football Roster Size | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Roster Size

Reaction Score
Is this a Title 9 thing? If UConn allows more guys to participate, they have to field another female team?

Reaction Score
Seems kind of funny rule. So I have 130 players through summer camp and then cut it down to 105 1st day of class and then add the 25 back the next day? Maybe you have to be on roster if practicing in summer so just have all the current enrolling WO's start up 1st day of class.
Seems like for big time programs they can get some pretty good guys as walk ons (maybe OL type guys who need few years to develop and if they don't not harm).
Think in the portal era may not be such a big benefit.

Tried to do the math of how players "practice".

Think 3 deep need to practice with game offense and defense plus kickers and injured could be as many as the full scholarship group of 85. Then you need bodies to run the opponent offense and defense (more than 22 as need subs and these guys get hurt). So maybe not that bad of a complaint.

Anyone who has played or been involved know how it actually works re using guys at end of roster for practice and are 3rd string guys part of game prep or used as the "opponent".

Reaction Score
Seems kind of funny rule. So I have 130 players through summer camp and then cut it down to 105 1st day of class and then add the 25 back the next day?
I think the rule is 105 players on the roster from the last game of the season until the first game of the next season. Remember, players graduate, quit, and transfer at the end of the season, so you don't have to drop many walk-ons at the end of the season and most walk-ons are around for spring ball except for teams with very large numbers of walk-ons. Also, there is high turnover among walk-ons as well. The roster size problems arise during summer camp when you have the new recruits on campus.

Reaction Score
Is this a Title 9 thing? If UConn allows more guys to participate, they have to field another female team?

-> "Each year, the University of Connecticut Division of Athletics implements a comprehensive roster management plan for all of our Division I sports in accordance with Title IX regulations," the statement said. "The roster management numbers take into consideration the ideal roster size of each coaching staff for their applicable sport."

UConn also provided roster numbers reported to the NCAA for the required Sport Sponsorship Report, dating back to the 2013 season:
  • 2021-22 – 103
  • 2020-21 – 100
  • 2019-20 – 102
  • 2018-19 – 100
  • 2017-18 – 104
  • 2016-17 – 105
  • 2015-16 – 99
  • 2014-15 – 108
  • 2013-14 – 105
The roster numbers reported to the NCAA defines a participant as "a student who, as of the day of the varsity team's first scheduled contest: (a) is listed as a team member on the roster, squad list or eligibility report; (b) practices with the varsity team and receives coaching from one or more varsity coaches; or (c) received athletically related financial aid. Any student who satisfies one or more of the above criteria is a participant, including a student on a team the institution designates or defines as junior varsity, freshman, or novice, or a student who does not play in a scheduled contest, whether for medical reasons or to preserve eligibility (i.e., a redshirt)." <-

Bit more background in the linked article above that is worth reading (<<short cut)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Maybe they're wearing the wrong shoes too.
Well, there are more options when you are buying more, economies of scale and what not.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

-> "Each year, the University of Connecticut Division of Athletics implements a comprehensive roster management plan for all of our Division I sports in accordance with Title IX regulations," the statement said. "The roster management numbers take into consideration the ideal roster size of each coaching staff for their applicable sport."

UConn also provided roster numbers reported to the NCAA for the required Sport Sponsorship Report, dating back to the 2013 season:
  • 2021-22 – 103
  • 2020-21 – 100
  • 2019-20 – 102
  • 2018-19 – 100
  • 2017-18 – 104
  • 2016-17 – 105
  • 2015-16 – 99
  • 2014-15 – 108
  • 2013-14 – 105
The roster numbers reported to the NCAA defines a participant as "a student who, as of the day of the varsity team's first scheduled contest: (a) is listed as a team member on the roster, squad list or eligibility report; (b) practices with the varsity team and receives coaching from one or more varsity coaches; or (c) received athletically related financial aid. Any student who satisfies one or more of the above criteria is a participant, including a student on a team the institution designates or defines as junior varsity, freshman, or novice, or a student who does not play in a scheduled contest, whether for medical reasons or to preserve eligibility (i.e., a redshirt)." <-

Bit more background in the linked article above that is worth reading (<<short cut)
That was interesting. I get the school is in a financial crunch, but I’d rather see them sponsor another woman’s sport then have them half-ass football. You either have to be 100% in or 100% out in football. I get someone somewhere deciding that 20 players above the scholarship limit want to be enough, but if Jim mora says he needs more he ought to get it.

I’m sure Dave Benedict didn’t appreciate the athletic department being called out publicly on this issue is. Mora is a competitive guy and probably did not like the notion of having to compete with one hand tied behind his back.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think walk-on player #105 to #125 ever sees the field or can earn a scholarship? Very rare. Sure, having a couple over 105 would help at some positions and it would help the scout team, but this is not even in the top 10 issues UConn football faces.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Does anyone think walk-on player #105 to #125 ever sees the field or can earn a scholarship? Very rare. Sure, having a couple over 105 would help at some positions and it would help the scout team, but this is not even in the top 10 issues UConn football faces.
Well...Mora thought it was enough of an issue to bring it up. It was the first thing he mentioned when he talked about depth.

I have never heard of this being an issue with any team before. Nor have I heard any coach say "thank God we had the expanded roster to help us get through this tough injury period".

But...Mora has given us no reason to not trust him...so if Mora says it's an issue that negatively impacts depth.... then it's something that should probably be addressed. It seems like he would know better than us.

Reaction Score
Well...Mora thought it was enough of an issue to bring it up. It was the first thing he mentioned when he talked about depth.

I have never heard of this being an issue with any team before. Nor have I heard any coach say "thank God we had the expanded roster to help us get through this tough injury period".

But...Mora has given us no reason to not trust him...so if Mora says it's an issue that negatively impacts depth.... then it's something that should probably be addressed. It seems like he would know better than us.
I think there's also a difference between game day depth, which a lot of the replies in this thread are replying to, and practice depth which is what Mora seemed to be addressing.

Going above 105 shouldn't affect any game day results, and if it does something has gone horribly wrong with roster construction. But seems pretty reasonable to think it would help during the season with practices and all the minor injuries that happen over the course of a season

Reaction Score
I think there's also a difference between game day depth, which a lot of the replies in this thread are replying to, and practice depth which is what Mora seemed to be addressing.

Going above 105 shouldn't affect any game day results, and if it does something has gone horribly wrong with roster construction. But seems pretty reasonable to think it would help during the season with practices and all the minor injuries that happen over the course of a season
I think it probably is due to practice purposes and having enough to run all the teams he wants to.

Reaction Score
Who cares. I think Mora ought to put his focus on the 105 players that couldn’t seem to muster a competitive showing last week.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe the coach who has a proven track record should get credit here. He sees a deficiency and is calling it out. We are behind in many areas. This is small part of what needs to be fixed if we want a competitive program going forward.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I agree. I think Mora is stating this because he doesn't want to run his 105 players who he might need on Game Day, as practice squads. He wants the depth to allow injured players to recover and have players who will never see the field be a practice squad. It allows the team to practice without needing to put anyone at risk because they need the bodies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom