UConn Football Position Preview: Offensive line (UConnBlog) | The Boneyard

UConn Football Position Preview: Offensive line (UConnBlog)

Reaction Score
I think the Oline will surprise people this year. Last year gave the players some time to get bigger and stronger and technique and fundamentals. I think we are going to be a lot more physical up front this year.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am more than comfortable with Van Demark - he could have a great season. Our guards have experience and everything I heard about Chase Lundt at RT is positive. A little concerned at C but hope who ever wins the role(Sidney Walker has it now) will be consistent and be able to call out the schemes. Overall, we could have a much better running game(especially in short yardage) with the ability to pass block.

Reaction Score
This is the key to the season. If the O-line does it's job the offense stays on the field, we score points and the defense is not overly taxed. Often this group of players is totally overlooked, but they determine much of what happens in a game. Although I will say our defensive backs need to greatly improve the performance and get off the field without getting torched. I may suggest turning to the ball, it helps to see it coming.

Reaction Score
This is the key to the season. If the O-line does it's job the offense stays on the field, we score points and the defense is not overly taxed. Often this group of players is totally overlooked, but they determine much of what happens in a game. Although I will say our defensive backs need to greatly improve the performance and get off the field without getting torched. I may suggest turning to the ball, it helps to see it coming.

The problem with the defense the last few seasons was not the offense leaving them on the field too long. The defense didn't stay on the field long enough before giving up TDs to get tired. The problem with the defense the last few seasons was that they sucked. Historically and unbelievably sucked.

The offense needs to get a lot better for us to be back to where we were under HCRE-1, no question, but the key to improvement -- much less a good season -- is that the defense returns to even a low FBS level. There were signs towards that -- at least at home if not on the road -- in 2019. We'll have to see.

Reaction Score
You are totally correct. I sometimes forget how terribly bad we were in 18 and 19. Hoping maturity of young players comes along and better depth with bring improvement. Anyway, I am starving for some football. Next Saturday cannot come soon enough.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The problem with the defense the last few seasons was not the offense leaving them on the field too long. The defense didn't stay on the field long enough before giving up TDs to get tired. The problem with the defense the last few seasons was that they sucked. Historically and unbelievably sucked.

The offense needs to get a lot better for us to be back to where we were under HCRE-1, no question, but the key to improvement -- much less a good season -- is that the defense returns to even a low FBS level. There were signs towards that -- at least at home if not on the road -- in 2019. We'll have to see.
You are triggering unwanted flashbacks...lol.

Reaction Score

Appreciate the UConnBlog guy, but he gets a little beside himself without pointing to facts.. Fact: Giufre is not the former OL coach.. He's OL AND OC....

Also, if correct, I didn't realize they moved Niedrowski inside... IIRC didn't play Tackle for us in the past?

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Appreciate the UConnBlog guy, but he gets a little beside himself without pointing to facts.. Fact: Giufre is not the former OL coach.. He's OL AND OC....

Also, if correct, I didn't realize they moved Niedrowski inside... IIRC didn't play Tackle for us in the past?
Niedrowski took over at G but did swing to tackle. RE likes linemen who can play multiple positions.

Reaction Score
See Brown backing up LT, Rooney backing up OC, Senn backing up RT , Fortin in the mix at Guard. Senn at Center?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom