UConn Football Opener: Villanova Should Test Huskies' Defense (Des) | The Boneyard

UConn Football Opener: Villanova Should Test Huskies' Defense (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ll-villanova-advance-0903-20150902-story.html

>>"We had a limited package when it came to getting after the quarterback [last year], but that was due to guys understanding the basic stuff we were trying to get done," said Anthony Poindexter, the Huskies defensive coordinator. "Now we've been able to put more stuff in, basically put our whole defense in now. Guys understand it and they know what we're trying to get done.">>

Reaction Score
Getting to the quarterback is the big improvement in our defense that everyone is hoping for this year. That could transform our defense from a good defense to a great one. I am hoping we will be bringing everyone including the kitchen sink on passing downs in the Villanova game against that inexperienced offensive line.

Reaction Score
Schemes are great, but I still don't see the types of DE to get after the QB that we used to have.

No, but the base look is a 3-4 (I don't care what the depth chart says -- Carrezola and Stapleton are OLBs and Fatukasi is a 3-4 DE) and the personnel reflects it. Size has clearly been prioritized over speed on the 3 DL positions. The pass rush will need to come from the linebackers.

Reaction Score
No, but the base look is a 3-4 (I don't care what the depth chart says -- Carrezola and Stapleton are OLBs and Fatukasi is a 3-4 DE) and the personnel reflects it. Size has clearly been prioritized over speed on the 3 DL positions. The pass rush will need to come from the linebackers.

I really think what we played last year was more of a 3.5-3.5 than either a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both Campenni and Fatukasi to me are pure DTs (frankly, more of NGs). Adeyami is a 3-4 DE (franly, under HCRE he'd be a DT) and Stewart more of an OLB. Carrezola's position, to me, is a cross between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB It's a very strange system. I don't know if they are just making due with the personnel that they inherited or if this is really what they're trying to do. But whether you call it a 3-4 or a 4-3, it's really 2 NGs, 1 DT, I hybrid DE-LB, one outside LB and two inside LBs.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
While I think that we will see more QB pressure, I still don't think we will see much blitzing. BD prefers the bend don't break approach. That doesn't lead to exciting football, but it's probably the right call for this team.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Adeyami end up ahead of Ormsby, mainly because we do essentially have two interior linemen in the other positions (Campenni is clearly a NG, Fatukasi more of a 4-3 DT -- I don't agree that he is a prototypical NG in terms of his body type). In any event, we rarely sent more than 3 people after the QB last year, and none of them were speed rushers. Ormsby would have been my preference just because I think he's faster and a better pass rusher.

Edsall's MO was to take a guy that was a 3-4 OLB in body type and make him a rush end in the 4-3 (Cody Brown, Trevardo, Osunde, etc.) .

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I really think what we played last year was more of a 3.5-3.5 than either a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both Campenni and Fatukasi to me are pure DTs (frankly, more of NGs). Adeyami is a 3-4 DE (franly, under HCRE he'd be a DT) and Stewart more of an OLB. Carrezola's position, to me, is a cross between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB It's a very strange system. I don't know if they are just making due with the personnel that they inherited or if this is really what they're trying to do. But whether you call it a 3-4 or a 4-3, it's really 2 NGs, 1 DT, I hybrid DE-LB, one outside LB and two inside LBs.

Wow... not just another pretty face.:D

Reaction Score

image.jpg

Calling Lawrence Taylor...

Reaction Score
I think we'll see a lot of Ormsby on passing downs from one side and I'm intrigued by the athletic potential of Carrezola off the other edge. Also I expect to see Graham in the backfield a lot. There were times I thought he got lost schematically out there but there's no question about his aggression and athletic ability.

Reaction Score
I think we'll see a lot of Ormsby on passing downs from one side and I'm intrigued by the athletic potential of Carrezola off the other edge. Also I expect to see Graham in the backfield a lot. There were times I thought he got lost schematically out there but there's no question about his aggression and athletic ability.

Stewart's problem is that he had the speed and strength to do well blitzing, but he just wasn't good at it. Took too many bad angles and missed too many opportunities for sacks.

Reaction Score
Adeyami will be used to occupy blockers. Ormsby gives him further flexibility during the game
Here is a prior Diaco defense. Might give a look on what he is trying to accomplish here.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1575503-how-bob-diaco-has-revolutionized-notre-dames-defense

I'm grounded and one more jump home. Duncan, I'm disappointed in you. Diaco is a Joe Collier 3-4 defense disciple. It might give us a look? No, I"ve seen the orange crush work before, and hopefully we've got it tuned up and ready to go. Spagnuolo had a hard on for the NFL defenses being developed in the 80s and talked about it all the time.

Reaction Score
I'm grounded and one more jump home. Duncan, I'm disappointed in you. Diaco is a Joe Collier 3-4 defense disciple. It might give us a look? No, I"ve seen the orange crush work before, and hopefully we've got it tuned up and ready to go. Spagnuolo had a hard on for the NFL defenses being developed in the 80s and talked about it all the time.
Sorry Carl,
Your now at the end of a long list.

Reaction Score
Sorry for what DI? I think this is 2nd, maybe 3rd time I"ve made your list. I know it's not the first. I had something heartfelt typed up, because I do like you, but click - and it's gone. Bottom line is that I was in a lather about 12 hours ago, for real world reasons you don't know, and this website serves as a very effective tool for me to decompress, and sometimes decompressing for me is easiest when I poke at somebody with a stick, without actually having to poke at somebody with a stick. It's what I'm good at, and clearly it was a good poke. Irritating.

As for your list, when the school doesn't want my money anymore let me know.

When you close your door on Friday and pull up youtube video of the Bronco's D back in the day, and compare to what Diaco and Poindexter are doing, let me know if I'm full of then, and I'll get up against the internet message board wall and you can nail me to it.

It's football season, and I'm edgy again for football. The itch to rub somebody's face in the dirt is back. I'll be there in the stands with the 42 other of you looney's out there, and I am crazy - for what I've done to be able to be at this game - a team with nothing, NOTHING, to build expectations for in reality except words - but words are powerful.

We'll see if the actions match the words tonight, because that's what really makes words powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom