UConn Football Offers Challenge: Make Us A Winner Again (Des) | The Boneyard

UConn Football Offers Challenge: Make Us A Winner Again (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Herring, Dixon, Hahn, Skanes and Williams mentions.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>"There's no real secret," said Kevin Wolthausen, the Huskies' second-year defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator. "If we can get guys to step on our campus and take a look at what's here, see the facilities, they understand we're a top 20 academic school in the country, all those things, and then you tie our coaching staff and direction with Coach [Bob] Diaco ... that's what we do. There's nothing fancy."<<

Reaction Score
Herring, Dixon, Hahn, Skanes and Williams mentions.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>"There's no real secret," said Kevin Wolthausen, the Huskies' second-year defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator. "If we can get guys to step on our campus and take a look at what's here, see the facilities, they understand we're a top 20 academic school in the country, all those things, and then you tie our coaching staff and direction with Coach [Bob] Diaco ... that's what we do. There's nothing fancy."<<

Now that's what I'm talkin about! I love the part about being an impact player at UCONN vs a bench warmer at Alabama. Diaco and staff are selling the UCONN value proposition. Byron Jones, 1st round pick of Dallas and Geremy Davis going to the Gints sent a message to recruits.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I #bleedblue and consider myself blessed that I am able to renew my UCFB season tickets without thinking twice about the financial sacrifice.

That being said, if UConn wants to challenge US to make something happen, I suggest we Make A Wish come true.

Before you even consider feeling like you need to help UConn win football games again please realize we're already paying someone a lot of money to do that job.

upload_2015-7-8_3-28-25.png

http://wish.org/

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Also! Next time! I will read the article before posting. Just got back to my hotel room in Atlanta after a 7 hour drunken business dinner, logged on and thought UConn was asking us fans to help them win again!

That, in no way, takes away from this cause that I believe in dearly.

It just means I'm a jackass.

The donation was made in honor of "The Boneyard-UCFB" by the way.

Reaction Score
Is Diaco going to game plan this year? Is he going to learn to use his time outs? Will he play to win or is a quarter of the season exhibition games? That's what I would like to know.

Reaction Score
I #bleedblue and consider myself blessed that I am able to renew my UCFB season tickets without thinking twice about the financial sacrifice.

That being said, if UConn wants to challenge US to make something happen, I suggest we Make A Wish come true.

Before you even consider feeling like you need to help UConn win football games again please realize we're already paying someone a lot of money to do that job.

View attachment 9957

http://wish.org/

This is way better than anything I've ever done at 3:28 a.m. drunk.

Reaction Score
Is Diaco going to game plan this year? Is he going to learn to use his time outs? Will he play to win or is a quarter of the season exhibition games? That's what I would like to know.

You can't be serious. I know the coaching staff doesn't read our rantings but if they did, I am sure they would get chuckle out of your questions. I could just hear Vertucci now. "Hey Bobby, do you want me to come up with a game plan for each game?" Diaco replies, Naw let's just play off the cuff, kind of serendipitously!"

The staff has well over 200 years combined coaching experience and Palatine, don't worry, I am quite confident that they have your questions covered.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is exactly that kind of approach the coaching staff should be taking in recruiting. Showing kids video of not-too-distant history of sold-out Rents, raucous crowds, and a very favorable home field advantage on most weeks. Show the video of Greg Lloyd Jr knocking Armando Allen's helmet into the "Play Like a Chump Today" tunnel. Show the entire 2009 season, G-dammit, including the gut-wrenching losses to Rutgers, WVU and Cincinnati that year because it shows a UConn team that was playing for a larger purpose...and one that would eventually destroy the tiny c0cks of South Carolina. 16-17 year old kids probably don't remember those days but we all do. Ironically, UConn football was better in a BCS era against better opponents and in more meaningful games. You come here to play football and help restore that (and help improve our B1G profile in the process) and you will become a LEGEND around here.

We're looking for talented kids with a chip on their shoulders that want to embrace a challenge. Kids who aren't afraid of hard work. Kids who will wake up at 2am to get in a heart pounding workout on their recruiting visit. Kids who ignore what the "experts" say when they're paid to say it and can think for themselves. Kids who will come to UConn because it's the only show in town and unlike other places, has the ability to unite an ENTIRE STATE. Kids who embrace adversity - who look at it straight in the fahqing face and spit in its eyes.

We play in the elements up north - the way football was supposed to be played. People remember the games played in driving snowstorms. Ask any UConn fan their recollection of our 2009 home finale against USF and 99 times out of 100, people will say "I can't believe he made that kick in the snow". If you want to go play football in the sunshine and rainbows, where girls where sundresses and boys wear shirt and ties to games like they were at a Preppy-a-thon, go right ahead. You're not our kind of man. But if you want to play in front of fans who have been wearing long johns for 8 hours, who have to poke holes in their beers to keep them from freezing, who will voluntarily stand outside on a 20 degree day to tailgate and get fired up to watch you play, and who will stand and scream their faces off for you despite the sh1tty weather, then you might be our kind of man.

Best of all, we don't have time to waste. We need to win now. That means, we need to play the best players at each position, regardless of age/class. If you are 18 years old and don't want to sit on the bench for 3 years at a P5 school, you can come to UConn, help restore our program to the up trending program that it once was not too long ago, ON THE FIELD. Your family will be so proud of you watching you from the stands or on television NEXT YEAR! And if you put in the work, play well enough, and win, you just might be one of the reasons UConn escapes the AAC and starts playing football at the highest level...ONCE AGAIN. For that, the state of Connecticut will carve a statue in your honor and put it up at all highway entry points into our beloved state. YOU WILL BE A LEGEND.

It's gut check time. Where are you gonna ball?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
^^^^^^^ If I was only 22 yrs younger.

Hey, if Oklahoma State can enroll a guy who played in the 90s to avoid APR penalties, then I don't see why you can't play! :)

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Now that's what I'm talkin about! I love the part about being an impact player at UCONN vs a bench warmer at Alabama. Diaco and staff are selling the UCONN value proposition. Byron Jones, 1st round pick of Dallas and Geremy Davis going to the Gints sent a message to recruits.

...were those PP recruits or RE recruits?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
OMG I ALMOST HIT LIKE...

Reaction Score
formerlurker said:
Also! Next time! I will read the article before posting. Just got back to my hotel room in Atlanta after a 7 hour drunken business dinner, logged on and thought UConn was asking us fans to help them win again! That, in no way, takes away from this cause that I believe in dearly. It just means I'm a jackass. The donation was made in honor of "The Boneyard-UCFB" by the way.

Where were you? I was at Little Alley Steak in Roswell (60 day dry aged tomahawk ribeye-unreal).

Reaction Score
You can't be serious. I know the coaching staff doesn't read our rantings but if they did, I am sure they would get chuckle out of your questions. I could just hear Vertucci now. "Hey Bobby, do you want me to come up with a game plan for each game?" Diaco replies, Naw let's just play off the cuff, kind of serendipitously!"

The staff has well over 200 years combined coaching experience and Palatine, don't worry, I am quite confident that they have your questions covered.
You clearly did not watch the games or listen to the coach last year. He was the one that referred to games as preseason games and made comments to the effect that UConn didn't prep for the other team. You may be confident but nobody who watched last year would say palatine is all that far off base.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice post Dooley. The best line:
Show the video of Greg Lloyd Jr knocking Armando Allen's helmet into the "Play Like a Chump Today" tunnel.

Reaction Score
This is exactly that kind of approach the coaching staff should be taking in recruiting. Showing kids video of not-too-distant history of sold-out Rents, raucous crowds, and a very favorable home field advantage on most weeks. Show the video of Greg Lloyd Jr knocking Armando Allen's helmet into the "Play Like a Chump Today" tunnel. Show the entire 2009 season, G-dammit, including the gut-wrenching losses to Rutgers, WVU and Cincinnati that year because it shows a UConn team that was playing for a larger purpose...and one that would eventually destroy the tiny c0cks of South Carolina. 16-17 year old kids probably don't remember those days but we all do. Ironically, UConn football was better in a BCS era against better opponents and in more meaningful games. You come here to play football and help restore that (and help improve our B1G profile in the process) and you will become a LEGEND around here.

We're looking for talented kids with a chip on their shoulders that want to embrace a challenge. Kids who aren't afraid of hard work. Kids who will wake up at 2am to get in a heart pounding workout on their recruiting visit. Kids who ignore what the "experts" say when they're paid to say it and can think for themselves. Kids who will come to UConn because it's the only show in town and unlike other places, has the ability to unite an ENTIRE STATE. Kids who embrace adversity - who look at it straight in the fahqing face and spit in its eyes.

We play in the elements up north - the way football was supposed to be played. People remember the games played in driving snowstorms. Ask any UConn fan their recollection of our 2009 home finale against USF and 99 times out of 100, people will say "I can't believe he made that kick in the snow". If you want to go play football in the sunshine and rainbows, where girls where sundresses and boys wear shirt and ties to games like they were at a Preppy-a-thon, go right ahead. You're not our kind of man. But if you want to play in front of fans who have been wearing long johns for 8 hours, who have to poke holes in their beers to keep them from freezing, who will voluntarily stand outside on a 20 degree day to tailgate and get fired up to watch you play, and who will stand and scream their faces off for you despite the sh1tty weather, then you might be our kind of man.

Best of all, we don't have time to waste. We need to win now. That means, we need to play the best players at each position, regardless of age/class. If you are 18 years old and don't want to sit on the bench for 3 years at a P5 school, you can come to UConn, help restore our program to the up trending program that it once was not too long ago, ON THE FIELD. Your family will be so proud of you watching you from the stands or on television NEXT YEAR! And if you put in the work, play well enough, and win, you just might be one of the reasons UConn escapes the AAC and starts playing football at the highest level...ONCE AGAIN. For that, the state of Connecticut will carve a statue in your honor and put it up at all highway entry points into our beloved state. YOU WILL BE A LEGEND.

It's gut check time. Where are you gonna ball?
I wish I could "like" this 1,000,000 times. YES!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The school sells itself:

1) the #14 public (FBS) school in academics
2) nice campus
3) great facilities
4) history of athletic success in several sports
5) land grant, flagship state school
6) excellent fan support (when fielding a decent product)
7) no pro team in the state to compete with for attention
8) great location (NYC, Boston, Hartford within driving distance)
9) history of sending players to the NFL
10) chance to start right away compared to three years on the bench elsewhere

Other than those cold, windy, January days in Storrs, everything else fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom