UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant)

Reaction Score
Haha - well March certainly will be telling!

But even if March practice goes awry, they will have to figure it out in July because its pretty much a lock that the other 129 programs will be going full steam ahead (learning how to keep COVid to a minimum and practice to a maximum) and thus the fall competition will be unforgiving as always.
CT has one of the lowest positivity rates currently of all states and rates are declining everywhere. Glass is more than half full here.

Reaction Score
CT has one of the lowest positivity rates currently of all states and rates are declining everywhere. Glass is more than half full here.
Absolutely correct. And after the first wave we have consistently outperformed most of the country.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. And after the first wave we have consistently outperformed most of the country.

There's a huge amount of "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did the rest of the play go?" in your comment.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking almost all seniors are back for 2021!! Hope I’m right..I know now Mensah is staying as well as Rose, Keating, Fortt and Van Demark .. not sure about Harrell, Morgan, and Harris.. sure would be nice to get an updated roster or some type of news. Hopefully soon.
Amen bro.. that's all we can get next...Guess we have to wait for that another month (3/1/21 maybe????) when Spring practice starts...

Reaction Score
Connecticut is 7th in the nation in deaths per million. 43 states and the District of Columbia have outperformed Connecticut

Reaction Score
As if the head coaching jobs are lined up at his doorstep. UConn got him on the relative cheap, simply because of the law of supply and demand. Little demand for his services.
And you know this HOW?
If you look at his career, he has never, in 40 years been out of work in college or the pros.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

And you know this HOW?
If you look at his career, he has never, in 40 years been out of work in college or the pros.
He got fired at his last head coaching gig after a few years, despite the Under Armour dollars at Maryland. What’s Randy 2.0 record at UConn? Yeah, things are great.

Reaction Score
The 2017 season not withstanding, those having more patience with Edsall do so understanding that transitioning a roster especially upperclassman made up of largely FCS or lesser quality players without the benefit of a parallel transitioning schedule knew it was going to be tough. He was not going to do so utilizing one offs from the portal, that is just his philosophy. He now has a number of recruiting classes and a transitional schedule(yes with wins built in) afforded by the move to independence. If the program doesn't show improvement this season than he will likely be gone. We have had trouble beating FCS teams for years. Many of them not very good. It would be worth a notice to see how we play against them and the competitiveness against others with hopefully some wins to go along with it.

Reaction Score
He got fired at his last head coaching gig after a few years, despite the Under Armour dollars at Maryland. What’s Randy 2.0 record at UConn? Yeah, things are great.
Let's be honest here. Randy was brought in to clean up the mess the previous coach left with academics and compliance at Maryland. He's was literally set up to fail. And his last year almost all of his playmakers on offense were injured for the season within the first couple games. Randy is good a picking out diamonds in the rough and developing players. His biggest mistake this time around is the hiring of the Crocker. Crocker's defense works (see his success at Villanova) if he has the players that fit his system or the time to recruit. He did not and it showed painfully. I'll give you this year is make or break for Edsall. I don't think wins and loses will necessarily be the determining factor of keeping him. I think UConn can win 3 or 4 games and look competitive in every game and he will be brought back for another season. If he wins 2 or 3 games and the team looks like they don't even belong on the same field as the other, then he needs to get let go. I fully believe we see a big leap with the defense this year with another year under Spanos. I think we see a lot of improvement at QB this year with finally a consistent OC.

Reaction Score
Amen. If he is going to be a tool about it, then take it off completely and make your statement. Otherwise wear it like the guidelines state.,...and like other coaches do.

Be a role model.

I love Hurley...but the mask thing is frustrating.
This is odd. Every game I have watched, the opposing coach has had his mask down a lot. Not sure if you are talking about only UConn games or overall

C

Chief00

Let's be honest here. Randy was brought in to clean up the mess the previous coach left with academics and compliance at Maryland. He's was literally set up to fail. And his last year almost all of his playmakers on offense were injured for the season within the first couple games. Randy is good a picking out diamonds in the rough and developing players. His biggest mistake this time around is the hiring of the Crocker. Crocker's defense works (see his success at Villanova) if he has the players that fit his system or the time to recruit. He did not and it showed painfully. I'll give you this year is make or break for Edsall. I don't think wins and loses will necessarily be the determining factor of keeping him. I think UConn can win 3 or 4 games and look competitive in every game and he will be brought back for another season. If he wins 2 or 3 games and the team looks like they don't even belong on the same field as the other, then he needs to get let go. I fully believe we see a big leap with the defense this year with another year under Spanos. I think we see a lot of improvement at QB this year with finally a consistent OC.
Agree, Crocker was a terrible hire by Randy. Lashlee, who Benedict brought in, was a great hire but Randy had an inability to co-exist with him. He even blamed him for scoring too fast and putting the Defense back on the field. Imagine that failure? It was really odd - my guess was he was doubling down defending his poor hire, while blaming it on the guy he was forced to hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So by you, 127 D1 schools messed up and UConn, NM State and I forgot will lead them out of the football irrelevancy wilderness.
Who said 127 D1 schools messed up?????? This was a decision that was made in the best interest of UConn. Read D Benedict’s statements on this. He never mentioned that other schools were making a bad decision- this was all about UConn. I assure you, the team, including their early enrollees are only thinking about upcoming Spring Ball and Fresno. Let it go. UConn kept the majority of the recruits that committed. They obviously weren’t affected by the decision not to play

C

Chief00

Who said 127 D1 schools messed up?????? This was a decision that was made in the best interest of UConn. Read D Benedict’s statements on this. He never mentioned that other schools were making a bad decision- this was all about UConn. I assure you, the team, including their early enrollees are only thinking about upcoming Spring Ball and Fresno. Let it go. UConn kept the majority of the recruits that committed. They obviously weren’t affected by the decision not to play
So UConn is unique? Good luck thinking like that. You need to get exposed to other schools. You are too provincial.

Reaction Score
But you did not bother answering the question. I never said things were great. They didn't play because they would have probably lost more money than if they did.

C

Chief00

But you did not bother answering the question. I never said things were great. They didn't play because they would have probably lost more money than if they did.
It appears your “You know this how?” question refers to my comments about the demand for Randy’s head coaching services. As a former Economics major, ultimately his head coaching salary answers that question. Supply and Demand. He’s a veteran coach not a young up and coming guy moving up the ladder. You may argue, he did it out of some loyalty to the school, which is a misplaced understanding of Randy, considering his history. Rather, he did the cheap salary thing because he had no better options. This is not a criticism but let’s not spin that reality into something else.

Reaction Score
There's a huge amount of "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did the rest of the play go?" in your comment.
Not really. In the early days of this, nobody knew much about how to deal with it, how it spread or how to treat it. Remember, early in this there were concerns that it could spread through the water supply, people were wiping down groceries with disinfectant wipes, Dan Hurley’s wife was leaving wine deliveries on the front steps for 3 days so the sun would kill the virus. And the northeast and northwest got hit first. The rest of the country didn’t get hit hard until later. Once we got an understanding of the way to deal with this we did a better job than many.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not really. In the early days of this, nobody knew much about how to deal with it, how it spread or how to treat it. Remember, early in this there were concerns that it could spread through the water supply, people were wiping down groceries with disinfectant wipes, Dan Hurley’s wife was leaving wine deliveries on the front steps for 3 days so the sun would kill the virus. And the northeast and northwest got hit first. The rest of the country didn’t get hit hard until later. Once we got an understanding of the way to deal with this we did a better job than many.
Ain't it ironic how sports fans can't grasp the concept of midgame adjustments?

Reaction Score
It appears your “You know this how?” question refers to my comments about the demand for Randy’s head coaching services. As a former Economics major, ultimately his head coaching salary answers that question. Supply and Demand. He’s a veteran coach not a young up and coming guy moving up the ladder. You may argue, he did it out of some loyalty to the school, which is a misplaced understanding of Randy, considering his history. Rather, he did the cheap salary thing because he had no better options. This is not a criticism but let’s not spin that reality into something else.
Happen to believe he is here out of pride but maybe I am naive.

Reaction Score
He had options. Everyone has options. He could have chosen to retire.

Reaction Score
When they rehired him, I was against the move-How much did his job with the Lions pay? He left that to come to Uconn. The program has demonstrated after years of trying, they are not interested in building a D1 football program. Pulling out of the AAC-to play an indy schedule. Randy is not the disease, he is a symptom. Playing in front of a few thousand fans at the Rent shows the have not developed. Their move was based on the fact that any name coach would get the team to 7-5 and move on. RE isn't going anywhere unless they move him.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Did it ever occur to some here that Randy didn't need the money? He didn't come here for the money- he was employed and had banked enough to retire. He came back because he had built this thing from scratch and a horrible hire and 1 even worse than horrible hire killed what he built. He was here for over a decade and built relationships. He never should have jumped to Maryland and if we had a different AD at the time, he wouldn't have.

It hasn't gone well since he came back but he literally had to build it up from scratch again. The difference is there was university excitement when building it for the first time; the second time the enthusiasm from those around him is less. The students came out in force and I fear even if we were a juggernaut, they wouldn't come anymore.

Also, he isn't a quick turnaround guy- he builds slowly - hopefully we will see the fruit of that endeavor now. Otherwise, I fear for the commitment to the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom