UConn football coach Jim Mora giving CT native Victor Rosa an opportunity: 'True competitor' (Hearst) | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Jim Mora giving CT native Victor Rosa an opportunity: 'True competitor' (Hearst)

Reaction Score

Sweep to article <<

-> Mora has been impressed.

“He is explosive and he is fast,” Jim Mora said. “He is compact and muscular. ... He is right about 6-foot, right about 200 pounds. He’s got good lateral movement and he can burst, and then when he gets to the open field, he’s got that speed.

“I like his mindset, he’s got that warrior's mindset,” Mora said. “He's just tough, he's physical. He doesn’t care how many snaps he takes, every one of them he's going to go full speed. He doesn’t get tired. He's not going let fatigue hold him back.”

There has been no ‘easing-in’ phase for Rosa. He will split the backfield with sophomore Devontae Houston, who missed last week with a shoulder injury, as UConn faces an NC State defense that has allowed just 68.7 rushing yards per game. <-

-> Injuries have been accumulating to a near breaking point on offense while the defense struggles to find its identity after losing coordinator Lou Spanos, who took a leave of absence in the final week of fall camp.

"We haven’t found our identity necessarily, or the consistency that we need to have to play well," Mora said. "Sometimes people say that, and people interpret that as taking a shot at the players, it is not. It always starts with the coach putting the player in the position to have success and making sure they get the repetitions to do it effectively. We have been inconsistent and we’re finding our way."

Hence, a defensive shake up.

"On Saturday we were playing four down linemen, a true 4-3 at times, to get bigger guys on the field," Mora said. "We will continue to work that way, we will still work some three-down stuff as Donovan Branch and Nate Voorhees come along, and when we get Colin (McCarthy) back, but we are still putting it together right now." <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see what the second string linemen in the 4-3 can do. Need more depth on DLine for a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Reaction Score
I Don't see it as Jim Mora giving Victor a chance as in the title from Hearst. I see it as next man up earning the head coaches respect. Hope he has a big day tomorrow mistake free.
People will be surprised by his spurtability.
I remember having spurtability in my younger days. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great to see Rosa get the opportunity but that says a lot about the current state of the team. He is probably a better fit at Central. That being said...Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Great to see Rosa get the opportunity but that says a lot about the current state of the team. He is probably a better fit at Central. That being said...Go UConn!
True freshman. This is nonsense.

Reaction Score
I like the way he does it, runs hard and fast, puts his head down, just gets up and does it again. A true freshman, inexperienced obviously, who came in having played (respectfully), less than top competition in high school. As the seasons go by I assume we'll see him all over the field, HB, FB, as slot, even shotgun perhaps, PR, KR, all over the field, works hard as Coach said.
A player who has won my respect already and no reason not to believe he is and will be a player to count on at UConn with Max effort for a full 4 years. I don't know how vocal he is but Victor seems to lead by example. Best of Luck Victor, good things are coming your way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice work. Proud dad.

But truthfully, the whole second half was garbage time.
What? Did this kid run over your dog or something? You were throwing a little shaded him in the game chat too. He’s not perfect, but to do the job he’s doing as a true freshman is impressive.

Reaction Score
Nice work. Proud dad.

But truthfully, the whole second half was garbage time.
Yeah, not quite. NCSt was doing their best to cover… at least according to the announcers.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not quite. NCSt was doing their best to cover… at least according to the announcers.

Mmmmm then why did they have their scrubs in at the end of the game? I don’t think so.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rosa now has two TD's in latter half of fourth qtr when opponents had emptied their bench.

Anyone know what is the UConn record for most scrub TD's in a season? Most by a true freshman??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rosa now has two TD's in latter half of fourth qtr when opponents had emptied their bench.

Anyone know what is the UConn record for most scrub TD's in a season? Most by a true freshman??
Can the starting fullback be a “scrub”?

I don’t know the answer to your question but McCombs scored four touchdowns against Fordham as a redshirt freshman.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You all can say what you want about Rosa scoring against NC State's second string, maybe 3rd. However, no one was able to score against Michigan's walk ons the week before. I'll give the kid credit for scoring against scholarship players when the week before, no one could score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom