UConn football averaged more fans at Rentschler Field in 2019, but attendance remains an issue (Putterman) | The Boneyard

UConn football averaged more fans at Rentschler Field in 2019, but attendance remains an issue (Putterman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Picture tells a thousand words.. ughh

Reaction Score
And there will be less next year. The fan base is sending a message - continue not to invest in the program, continue to let the head coach remain, and join a basketball conference - will be the death of the program. shameful.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I tried to give away 4 tickets at work to game vs Houston and had no takers. It was a 65 degree day in mid-October. I finally left them in the building lobby with a sign on Friday afternoon. Cleaning guy told me on Monday he threw them out.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Yeah, I tried to give away 4 tickets at work to game vs Houston and had no takers. It was a 65 degree day in mid-October. I finally left them in the building lobby with a sign on Friday afternoon. Cleaning guy told me on Monday he threw them out.
Lmao!

Reaction Score
It’s bad. Real bad. I know I’m buying just to keep the faith. You can’t give them away. If you don’t think the right hires matter compare Hurley to Edsall in style, intensity, enthusiasm, vision and confidence in his kids. Night and day. One guy believes and the other is shuffling his way through excuse after excuse. 3 years and he blew it. We would excited if we could maybe someday reach .500? Wrong guy.

Reaction Score
This is the first year I didn't have season tickets since The Rent opened. I didn't even go to a game. I didn't miss it one bit...sad.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
How many season ticket holders are there? They stopped reporting that.

Reaction Score
It’s bad. Real bad. I know I’m buying just to keep the faith. You can’t give them away. If you don’t think the right hires matter compare Hurley to Edsall in style, intensity, enthusiasm, vision and confidence in his kids. Night and day. One guy believes and the other is shuffling his way through excuse after excuse. 3 years and he blew it. We would excited if we could maybe someday reach .500? Wrong guy.
Greg Schiano will make more then UCONN Entire football staff!! He will pay his staff 7.8 million that’s 6 times what UCONN will pay its assistants!!!!! Unfortunately Rutgers gets 30 plus millions from the big ten. We got almost nothing from AAC. That’s reality folks.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Completely alienating the students before the season even started was a great idea.

I still enjoy having a few beers and grilling on nice fall days but within 20 minutes of being in the stadium I’m typically questioning my sanity and basically my entire existence.

it’s hard to believe numbers will dip even lower but they will. Fewer and fewer students attending = fewer and fewer future Season ticket holders. How many graduates from 2013-2018 are now season ticket holders? Maybe a couple dozen. This is a catastrophic problem.

Weather is a dumb connection to attendance if you ask me. In the amount of time I commit to a football game on nice fall day I could hike a few miles with my dog and visit a couple breweries and still be able to knock a few things off the honey do list. Or watch UConn lose to USF by 4 touchdowns. What is a better use of a Saturday? This is Connecticut. We’re not in Alabama or Mississippi with nothing else to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't compare Edsall to Hurley based on attendance as how are you going to explain the St Joe's and Iona games? With a great coach very entertaining team with much potential people are invisible at Gampel. I was at the St Joe's game and it was worse than Ollies last year. The student upper levels were sparse against Iona. Is it every one hitting the books? The Season ticket holders section behind the basket at the UCONN bench end was empty. I counted an upper chairback section in the Florida game that had at least 40 empty seats. No shows? If people on this board really give a crap then go to the games. Football has the potential to have an entertaining offense next year. The defense has to get better. I hope to see progress and could be disappointed again but that is being a fan. The real question is where are the basketball fans? 5,900 last night was a joke and embarrassing. ON Campus while the students were there and could walk to the game instead of a 20 minute bus ride to the Rent!

Reaction Score
Article didn't mention the free ticket code to Travelers employees accounted for +4,000 increase in attendance for that Illinois game. Next year's attendance will definitely be lower with that home schedule.

Reaction Score
I'm really tired of this defeatist negative attitude has about UC football. Yes, we know they've been really bad for 10 years. You don't have to be a genius to figure that out. Any semi-literate person could write about all the problems. It's not cleaver or witty to me. All it does is help to drive more people away so that these "intellects" can say, "I told you so" when it all goes away.

There are a few reasons why move to Indy could be very successful, how about drumming up interest instead of piling on? It's just a game, it's just entertainment. It's not life and death. Like I said, it's really easy for these writers to pile on. Much harder to write positive, hopeful stuff.

Reaction Score
Article didn't mention the free ticket code to Travelers employees accounted for +4,000 increase in attendance for that Illinois game. Next year's attendance will definitely be lower with that home schedule.
The casual fans and alumni will show up for wins. Hopefully they can win some next year. Some of the teams we think are bad on schedule are currently better than UCONN.

Reaction Score
What exactly is positive and hopeful about this program and the attendance numbers?
You proved my point. The negatives are so obvious and have been written about ad nauseam. How is that news or who is being "informed" by yet another article that states the all too obvious? It's one thing to complain about the coaching or critique some of the players. That's just being a fan. It's another to wallow in self pity, which I think a large portion of the populate everywhere tends to do.
But to answer your question here are some positive:
  • An AD who has stated a commitment to football
  • A move to the BE which has/will generate excitement for the UCONN brand
  • Two better years of recruiting
  • A good start to this years class
  • A schedule just put together that features 5 P5 teams and 7 home games. Besides ND what other non P5 can say that?
  • Potential for being on much better financial grounds. The AAC deal was not good.
  • A great stadium to play in
  • A easily accessible stadium from anywhere
  • An awesome tailgating experience
  • Really good receivers and TEs
  • Promising play from a couple of young QBs
  • Great band
Yes there are a lot of things stacked against us. But, there are positives and I'm a homer no matter what. Once the Whalers left, hockey was dead to me. Same with college football if this fails.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is it a thing that the scanners may not actually pick up all the tickets?

Reaction Score
What was concerning to me was the fact that the Rent enjoyed almost ideal weather for a football game this year. 2018 was miserable, particularly for the UMass debacle. This year no one could blame the weather. Can't count on seven beautiful football weekends in East Hartford next year (or attractive opponents). Better find a way to win a few more games or attendance might get really ugly despite the positives noted by Bubba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom