UConn Football adds H/H with UAB (2024/2025) | The Boneyard

UConn Football adds H/H with UAB (2024/2025)

Reaction Score

->The University of Connecticut football team has finalized an agreement to face off against UAB during the 2024 and 2025 seasons, as announced on Tuesday.

The Huskies will travel to UAB on Saturday, November 9, 2024 and then play host to the Blazers on Saturday, November 1, 2025 at Pratt and Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field <-

Reaction Score
Ha! I was just typing this and trying to figure how to post a link.

Interesting pickup.

Reaction Score
Needed to fill out the schedule and they were short home games in 2025. Both 2024 & 2025 are still missing a "headline" type of home game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It’s no less “meh” than Tulane…there’s gonna be plenty of these type of games but the nice thing is it’ll be different opponents than we’re used to rather than the same boring ones on repeat.

Ha. Tulane smoked us last time we played.

And, uh, Birmingham <<<<<< NOLA. Come on.

Reaction Score
A pair of November games - that’s what I see here. November won’t be easy for us to schedule and so you take what you can. Just try to keep it east of the Mississippi.
Unless they're scheduling BYU.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
A pair of November games - that’s what I see here. November won’t be easy for us to schedule and so you take what you can. Just try to keep it east of the Mississippi.

Correct. I'm also wondering if UAB's non-conf just lost a game ?

Reaction Score
Noticed this from the Uconn presss release: " It will not be the first time that UConn has played at Legion Field, the home of UAB football. In 2010, the Huskies played in the PapaJohns.com Bowl and defeated South Carolina, 20-7."

Don't think the Huskies will be making a return to Legion Field.

UAB is slated to move into a brand new 47,000 seat stadium in 2021....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Imagine waking up to see positives, how dare you Exit 4. On top of the necessary 2025 Nov home game (2 home games still to fill), UConn still needs an 4 additional 2024 games (8 total now including UAB; 3 away, 5 home), the Birmingham game's easily driveable for metro ATL players' families and alumni 2-3 hours away, still driveable from UConn's apparent JAX recruiting target area, and the away provides recruiting exposure in the gridiron bible belt. Many UAB alumni/fans may not live in the northeast, but it's not impossible to think some parents and other fans may venture NE with added visits to the City, Boston, etc.

As for games west of the Mississippi, a Lewis & Clark opponent every few years won't be surprising. Ideal, perhaps not yet filling vacancies will likely require an occasional foray west. Ole Man River ... he just keeps rolling along.

Reaction Score
Have a friend who's a UAB alum. Who thought UAB would go from being eliminated to a 47,000 seat stadium? Hollywood movie??

Stadium is in final stages of construction. Location makes it easy to get to from downtown and there are hotels and restaurants within walking distance. Onsite parking may be something of an issue for a full house will UAB seldom see that.. They have been drawing around 35,000 for their bigger games against AL A&M and AL State where they get the benefit of large alumni bases in the BHM area.

Reaction Score
Stadium is in final stages of construction. Location makes it easy to get to from downtown and there are hotels and restaurants within walking distance. Onsite parking may be something of an issue for a full house will UAB seldom see that.. They have been drawing around 35,000 for their bigger games against AL A&M and AL State where they get the benefit of large alumni bases in the BHM area.
So you are saying chances are low any visitor will be robbed?! Awesome!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
They had 11 and 9 wins 2 out of the last 3 wins. I’m sure you’d rather play winless USF and 1 win Temple.
Wait a second- is it supposed to be an insult that I’d rather play games against USF/Temple than UAB? Wouldn’t you? We have no history with UAB and I’m pretty sure the Temple series was lauded by everyone when announced. I’d venture USF would as well- considering we actually have history against them and arguably the best accomplishment in program history happened by winning there.

UAB is a fine game. It doesn’t move the needle. It’s okay to admit that. Like others have said- it’s a late season game. I just don’t really get excited about playing games against CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC teams. That 2025 home schedule is BRUTAL as of now: CCSU, Ball State, UAB, FIU. They need to add some more sizzle, hopefully RU or Pitt or someone similar.

Reaction Score
So you are saying chances are low any visitor will be robbed?! Awesome!

Only if the visitor stays on the main drags 18th, 19th, 20th & 21st streets North and goes no further north than 12th Ave North.

Reaction Score
Agree with Drew’s take on this though honestly I don’t mind a few MAC games. We have some history against Buffalo, in particular but also a few others. And one of the down sides of independence is going to be that from time to time the home schedule will be not that interesting. Dave has been quite good at lining up good mid level P5 games and hope that continues. But UAB FIU types will be features I suspect. As far as west of the Mississippi games, I think we are pretty aggressive with Wyoming, Utah State, Fresno. We keep hearing BYU. I’d love a PAC series personally. Cal, UCLA Oregon State Colorado type would be fun. I don’t want to go out there 2 times but an annual trip would be fine. BYU home. At Cal. Then next year Cal HOME and at BYU. Something like that

Reaction Score
Noticed this from the Uconn presss release: " It will not be the first time that UConn has played at Legion Field, the home of UAB football. In 2010, the Huskies played in the PapaJohns.com Bowl and defeated South Carolina, 20-7."

Don't think the Huskies will be making a return to Legion Field.

UAB is slated to move into a brand new 47,000 seat stadium in 2021....

From nearly defunct to to some nice new digs. Quite the change of fortune for The Blazer Program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom