UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst | The Boneyard

UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst

Reaction Score

-> Mazzone, 64, was most recently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Arizona in 2018-20. His three jobs prior to that were as the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M, UCLA and Arizona State.

Mazzone and UConn interim coach Lou Spanos were on the UCLA staff together in 2012, with Spanos as defensive coordinator. <-

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I will say this, it suggests to me that they care and are trying. The fix isn't going to be quick or easy. It is very unfortunate that we didn't move on from Edsall when we had the no-season opportunity to bring in somebody new and have them build a culture.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The "N-Zone" offense coming to UConn... didn't work particularly well at Arizona, but given where UConn is at, the simplicity of the philosophy might be just the thing needed.

Interesting article discussing Mazzone's offensive philosophy while during his tenure with the Aggies, which was fairly successful.

Reaction Score
Agreed. This needed to happen... We had position coaches being moved around with the first go round at FBS level with OC and QB responsibilities... Wasn't/Isn't working out... Gotta get more serious on filling those roles with more qualified guys.. Expectations clearly are a lot higher with the guys that have the true experience of coaching these spots at the FBS level...

Reaction Score
I will say this, it suggests to me that they care and are trying. The fix isn't going to be quick or easy. It is very unfortunate that we didn't move on from Edsall when we had the no-season opportunity to bring in somebody new and have them build a culture.
Using hindsight, I completely agree. It was tough to make that call then. I believe the start of this season unearthed some things that quite frankly helped make the move. I keep thinking though- as embarrassing as it was, losing to Holy Cross was such a blessing. Had we won, losing to Purdue or any other FBS team other than UMass would have kept Edsall in his seat

Reaction Score
It is very unfortunate that we didn't move on from Edsall when we had the no-season opportunity to bring in somebody new and have them build a culture.
With the financial freeze of COVID that made things nearly impossible at that point bro.. We've penny pinched this program even during Edsall 1.0...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Given that we now know we are aware of week-to-week contracts, it’s a bit of a mystery how Wdsall got an extra 2 years and 2m for taking a year off.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that they aren’t giving up on the season. Any chance that they are doing this to help give Spanos a fair audition for the job? Seems weird to me to bother with this.

I’d love to see the team win a couple of games and this will help, but it just seems odd given that the staff is on the way out.

Reaction Score
Giving up only would set anyone back further. Even if the staff is on the way out, have to salvage or redevelop everything possible.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that they aren’t giving up on the season. Any chance that they are doing this to help give Spanos a fair audition for the job? Seems weird to me to bother with this.

I’d love to see the team win a couple of games and this will help, but it just seems odd given that the staff is on the way out.
I think they're trying to audition the current players to help attract a coach. And they're just trying to help the players too. They deserve it. They do work their asses off. I like that the administration isn't calling it quits on them

Reaction Score
If Spanos cannot turn the team around, another option is to bring in a new head coach. Make Spanos DC. Make Mazzone OC. Just a thought. I'm sure there a lot of readers who oppose not having the new coach appoint his OC and DC,

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

I read this as a show to whomever the next coach and staff is that UConn will support the football program. It also shows the current kids and future recruits that UConn, isn't joking around about the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom