UConn Football 2020 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage (Feb. 5th) | The Boneyard

UConn Football 2020 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage (Feb. 5th)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I have little to support my hypothesis, but it is my view that what Randy has taken from this entire three year post Diaco transition is that now more than ever he needs to find "his guys".....guys that he thinks respect him and the program....guys that he thinks are coachable. Not every guy he brings in will work out perfectly, but the idea is to take very few chances on guys that he doesn't think will respond well to his coaching. Like it or not, that's the deal and that's the way he has to operate. I don't think finding players fit Randy's approach was a priority of the staff's 2017 and 2018 recruiting efforts. Last year and this year I think they found many more guys that they think fit Randy's coaching style.

This is my hypothesis, lets see in two years how this post ages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In general, the problem with transfers (as rules are currently written) is that you get a one and done player or a kid that needs to sit a year to become eligible with less than 4 years of eligibility. With the 25/85 scholarship limits, you will run into roster number issues pretty quickly if you use the portal too much.

Think about this, if you took 10 grad transfers and 15 high school kids per year, by year 4, you might have a roster of about 60 to 70 kids with normal attrition. That is what kind of what happened at Kansas.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's got issues too. We need more DJ Morgans not less. God he's dense sometimes.
I hear ya.....but DJ Morgans seem to be rather rare (maybe I have a form of stockholm syndrome).

Part of the problem for UConn as it stands today is the same old program, many kids in the portal want both a guaranty of playing time and to be on a winner. Until we start winning, it will be hard to get high quality transfers like Morgan.

I think this just means Randy will probably never look to take more than 1-2 grad transfers per season and perhaps 2-3 JUCOs and nobody should ever expect more.

And above all, I still blame our admissions department which seems to be tough on all transfers and potential grad students.

Reaction Score

Would like to see the context of the question/comment, but Randy, have we been so impressive it's not even worth a discussion with a kid? couldn't possibly be that the kid just made a mistake in his choice of school right? couldn't be that the coaches are mistreating him (or others)? couldn't be that he wants to be closer to (or further away from) home?

I hope he's not refusing to bring in transfers. No offense to the JUCO kids, but many of them are at JUCO for a reason too. If they can overcome their issues (academic or otherwise) and deserve a shot at FBS, then why don't transfers deserve that second chance somewhere else?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It sounds almost like no one here has heard Randy talk before. He almost never tells the media what he really is thinking. It is coach speak, cloak and dagger, etc.

He isn't in a position to not look at the portal. DJ Morgan was a play 2 year guy and they had some interaction with him. We needed an RB and Thompkins fit the bill. (PS, notice the guy he took minutes from transferred out). Michael Hinton burned RE as a 1 yr when we lost the scholarship as he flipped to Tulane. Bottom line, if you notice, RE is talking about building depth. 1 yr guys want to play right away and either be close to home or win. If there was a kid who could help and not block development, he would take him. But don't always take RE's stuff with the media at face value.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would hope one staff member is assigned transfer portal duties. They should clearly know what RE doesn't want and discard them.
Bring a handful of possible candidates for discussion.

Reaction Score
Edsall has to win now. Th portal gives you the best chance of doing that. Randy needs to wake the freak up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom