UConn Football: 2017 Huskies Preview and Prediction (Athlon) | The Boneyard

UConn Football: 2017 Huskies Preview and Prediction (Athlon)

Reaction Score
UConn Football: 2017 Huskies Preview and Prediction

The Huskies rank No. 101 in Athlon’s Top 130 for 2017

>>Final Analysis: Any rays of hope the program showed under Diaco at first were wiped away by an ugly 2016. By going back to Edsall, who saw UConn through the transition from the Division I-AA level to an FBS independent to a member of the Big East, the Huskies are hoping to return to their winning ways.

Although there is a decent amount of experience returning, the AAC has grown into perhaps the best Group of 5 conference, and inching up that ladder will be difficult. There’s no way the offense can be worse, so marginal steps forward there can at least set the stage for greater improvement down the line.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am trying to keep my hopes in check as Red Pants really decimated a team already hurt by the stupid twins, but I think that we may surprise some people. It is going to be a new look UConn on both sides of the ball.

A modern offensive schemer plus better S&C ought to help a lot. Add to that intelligent game decisions by the staff and we should be much more effective when we have the ball, not that that would be hard to do. Tempo is going to hide a lot of o-line deficiencies. Crocker has a good rep, but I want to see his defense on the field before I make and any judgement.

Overall we will look better and be better, but it is hard to find 6 wins on the schedule.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I am trying to keep my hopes in check as Red Pants really decimated a team already hurt by the stupid twins, but I think that we may surprise some people. It is going to be a new look UConn on both sides of the ball.

A modern offensive schemer plus better S&C ought to help a lot. Add to that intelligent game decisions by the staff and we should be much more effective when we have the ball, not that that would be hard to do. Tempo is going to hide a lot of o-line deficiencies. Crocker has a good rep, but I want to see his defense on the field before I make and any judgement.

Overall we will look better and be better, but it is hard to find 6 wins on the schedule.

Never check your hopes, my friend!

You don't check hopes. You check baggage. And we sent our baggage to Nebraska a while ago... (one-way flight)

:cool:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
With all due respect to the writers who try to protect their reputations by moderating their journalistic instincts, I think we just might shock the world!

Winning 6 games would shock the world. What we need to see is improvement on the field.

Reaction Score
Competent coaching will get us to 6 wins.
I agree. It's all about the coaching changes and the system tweaks. On defense we'll be relentless, showing blitz on every down and yet keeping offenses off balance as to when we're coming. We'll be uptempo and in constant motion on offense. If we can minimize the missteps and false starts during August, and eliminate them vs Holy Cross, we'll be ready for bigger things. We then get USF. That's the game of the year against one of the better teams and QB's in the country. Win and we'll build momentum toward a shockingly good season.

Reaction Score

Six wins are easy to find, just pick from the 12 scheduled games and 3 bonus post season games we'll play.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned red pants....when do the pre-season games start? Oh, my bad still suffering post traumatic Stress Diaco-disorder...and we do this every year. Predicting number of wins...I'll wait to see how we do against Holy Cross. I expect better scheming but we may need a year before we can see good/great execution. So, I expect things attempted in the Holy Cross game that are shelved against USF. I realize this is obvious, but I expect major adjustments to go back to the basics which is more than run up the middle. Coaching only gets you so far, a man 30 yards Down field and open but not spotted, spotted but drops the ball. This shows scheme but a talent that needs to catch up. I know I hate saying it and many of you probably don't want to hear it, but our team didn't even get a good practice last year. Pre-season games, schemes a blind man could defend, and red pants that told me one thing...just Stop! So, with RE I hope to be surprised but expect to support this team as it goes through a tough learning progression. At least this season, reality of football is back! Go Huskies!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Mr. Redpants will have Nebraska fans get upset at his remarks, that is if the coach will let him talk...

He's already done that!

I wish I could remember what thread it was captured in, but Nebraska fans are already shaking their collective heads at his speech outlining the 10 different types of tackles. Funny stuff. You can't make Fiasco up...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While the head coaching already is an upgrade as well as the offensive coordinator, my biggest hope is UConn has a QB who can run when needed but can step into the pocket and hurl the ball with authority and accuracy
Sorry, bad with names, but what I saw from that kid out of junior college (Pindall?) looks like he may fit the bill

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's already done that!

I wish I could remember what thread it was captured in, but Nebraska fans are already shaking their collective heads at his speech outlining the 10 different types of tackles. Funny stuff. You can't make Fiasco up...
Whats not so funny is that the jerk is laughing all the way to the bank

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom