UConn Focused On Correcting Mistakes After Loss To Virginia (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

UConn Focused On Correcting Mistakes After Loss To Virginia (Mike Anthony)

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
At least there's no thanking UVA for being our partner in the post-game comments...

UConn Focused On Correcting Mistakes After Loss To Virginia

>>UConn's football world didn't collapse Saturday with a 38-18 loss to Virginia. The Huskies were beaten by a better team — not a great team, but a better one — and made enough hurtful mistakes to meet a season's quota.

It wasn't a very good performance, and there's no other way to spin it. There's no shame in UConn losing at Virginia. The Cavaliers are clearly a more advanced team, stronger at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Still, the Huskies' performance was a reminder of where the program is right now — so far from being a polished product, with a lot of young players driving.

>>"We did a lot of things to ourselves," Edsall said. "We wanted to start fast, I thought we tried to do those things, offensively, but we ended up shooting ourselves in the foot. So far this year, defensively, when we've had an opportunity to get off the field, we don't do the things necessary to get that done."

Of Shirreffs' fumble, Edsall said, "You've got to cover it up with two hands. They're going to try to put their helmet or shoulder pad on the ball. A lack of fundamentals and technique caused us to turn that over. Then [Virginia] gets a field goal, and we're down 10-0, and we really could be up 14-7 at that point. We moved the ball, got it in their territory and couldn't finish it off. That really was the story of it."

>>"Learning a new system, everything else, we've got a lot of young guys playing — I won't make excuses, because it is what it is, and we have to take it like a man — but it's up to us, the older guys, to set the standard, especially myself," said senior linebacker Vontae Diggs, who made his season debut after missing the Holy Cross game with a knee injury. "I have to come back and do better. I have to study more. I have to make sure everybody is on point. ... We've seen what it is. We're going to continue to play great teams. And we've got to step up."

>>"I'm still trying to find out what I think some of these guys can do best," Edsall said. "I got a little better feel for it now after watching another game."

"There were good things that happened out there, but as I told the team afterward, we're way too inconsistent," Edsall said. "You can't be that way. It starts in the meeting rooms, and it starts on practice fields. And now they're going to see all of these things that we continue to talk about. There are things we did better than the first game, and there are things we didn't do so well. So that's the type of thing we've got to get corrected, and now we're going to be into it each and every week and get into a routine."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom