Uconn FB cracks the list of teams u'd least likely b a fan off | The Boneyard

Uconn FB cracks the list of teams u'd least likely b a fan off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One tool's subjective opinion... <PSU Alum to boot>

weinreb_400x200_xrahj6ao_7zkzah7i.png

ABOUT MICHAEL WEINREB
Michael Weinreb is a contributing writer for Sports on Earth and the author of a short-story collection and two books of non-fiction: "The Kings of New York" (which won a Quill Award, and was named a best book of the year by Amazon and Publishers Weekly), about a championship Brooklyn high-school chess team, and "Bigger Than the Game," about sports and its relationship to the culture of the 1980s. He has written for ESPN, The New York Times, GQ and Grantland, and has appeared on NPR's "This American Life." He is currently writing a book about college football. He lives with his wife in Brooklyn (and will soon live with her in San Francisco). Follow him on Twitter @MichaelWeinreb.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's paragraphs like this that p1ss me off about our local sports coverage...

Sure, the recent crop of quarterbacks probably couldn’t send a ball 30 yards down field with a t-shirt cannon, and the punter may have been the best offensive player last year, but hey, there have been moments of brilliance too.

Why write that? If the purpose of this Channel 8 article is to try and defend UCONN, it can do without this rubbish. Just leave it at the team struggled under Pasqualoni but finished the season on a relatively positive note to transition to the Bob Diaco era.

There are just some moments that I wish our local media could rally behind the program without backhanding it.

Reaction Score
It's an entertainment piece. HaHa get it? Bottom line nobody takes seriously what he thinks.

Reaction Score
I would least like to be Ped State fan/grad.

That's a good point. I'd least like to be a fan of an institution that knew of allegations of pedophile and continued to allow the suspect to have access to kids for YEARS. Sandusky sat in the President's box at Beaver Stadium the week before he was arrested.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not going to bother giving it a click so I'm not sure how many sports this spans but at least last season you ccould make a pretty strong argument for this.

Absolutely brutal at times.

That being said, we've had a nice run at the end of the edsall era and are poised to return with Diaco. A lot of programs never even enjoy the success we had from 07-11, with 9, 8, 8, 8 win seasons in a row (I think those numbers are correct).

Reaction Score
Some jacka** writes a lame article that no one anywhere will take seriously, and some here use it as a reason to disparage hundreds of thousands of good people who associate with PSU? Articles like this are a dime a dozen. If you don't agree with it, don't post it. Giving the author hits helps his case to write more garbage.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Who cares what some PSU writer says about UCONN. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field of play this year.

The ECU fans are going nuts on this. It will be a tough game for sure but no blow out

Reaction Score
Who cares what some PSU writer says about UCONN. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field of play this year.

The ECU fans are going nuts on this. It will be a tough game for sure but no blow out
Unreal that this writer has turned UConn FB into ECU bulletin board material..did'nt he realize one thing ECU does have is a rabid fb and this game will be trouble it shouldnt have been!! This write-up might turn this into a must watch game on TV at least in the NC region and locally. I think ECU FB will be a boon to the AAC too!

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Jaysus, I just went back and read the article's comments. Almost all 34 comments are from fired up ECU fans.

Another reason why I hate the local media: they have NO idea what they are talking about UCONN AND our opponents.

Reaction Score
Jaysus, I just went back and read the article's comments. Almost all 34 comments are from fired up ECU fans.

Another reason why I hate the local media: they have NO idea what they are talking about UCONN AND our opponents.
Unreal how uninformed or stupid some of these sports writers are! Yes I read EVERY comment too.

Reaction Score
It's paragraphs like this that p1ss me off about our local sports coverage...

Sure, the recent crop of quarterbacks probably couldn’t send a ball 30 yards down field with a t-shirt cannon, and the punter may have been the best offensive player last year, but hey, there have been moments of brilliance too.

Why write that? If the purpose of this Channel 8 article is to try and defend UCONN, it can do without this rubbish. Just leave it at the team struggled under Pasqualoni but finished the season on a relatively positive note to transition to the Bob Diaco era.

There are just some moments that I wish our local media could rally behind the program without backhanding it.

Punter was the best offensive player? He must not have watched any game action. WR Davis was clearly the offensive MVP if you could even declare one.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Punter was the best offensive player? He must not have watched any game action. WR Davis was clearly the offensive MVP if you could even declare one.

Exactly. Those kind of backhanded comments against UCONN football doesn't exactly help sell season tickets. Casual fans read that and think that this bozo knows what he is talking about. No mention of the strong finish to the season, G Davis is a beast, we finally found a QB down the stretch in Cochran, and we have ushered in an exciting new Bob Diaco era. Lots of positives to build upon instead of cracking punter jokes.

Reaction Score
It's an entertainment piece. HaHa get it? Bottom line nobody takes seriously what he thinks.

Guess you haven't read the comments from ECU fans. They took it very seriously and think that UConn fans feel that way about them. Guess they didn't understand a PSU fan wrote it. I only read the first comment and stopped reading.

Reaction Score
Guess you haven't read the comments from ECU fans. They took it very seriously and think that UConn fans feel that way about them. Guess they didn't understand a PSU fan wrote it. I only read the first comment and stopped reading.
Smart move....the rest were emotional and pissed as though a UConn fan wrote it!! Someone ought to set them straight on that so there anger isn't misdirected. You know that article will make the rounds again on gameweek like the Tennessee "Whats a Rutgers" article some yrs ago and everyone knows how that worked out though RU played with D2 type talent and on the road!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom