UConn Expected to Pay At Least $2M For Next Head Coach | The Boneyard

UConn Expected to Pay At Least $2M For Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t think 2 mill is a cap. They just want people to know it shouldn’t be assumed they will only pay 1.3 or something like that. I’d be surprised if they wouldn’t pay Moorhead or Herman 3+ if they would take the job.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think it is $2 million plus which is solid and now another $2.5 million for the rest of the staff would be good.

Reaction Score
You will not be able to hire a successful FBS head coach for $2 million. Who could you hire for $2 million?

Option 1: Retread FBS head coach.

Option 2: FBS assistant coach

Option 3: Successful FCS or D2 head coach.

In replacing Edsall 1.0, we tried option 1 two times and option 2 once. I hope we try Option 3 this time. There have been many examples of successful lower level coaches moving up to FBS:

Brian Kelly: Grand Valley St. (D2) hired by Central Michigan

Lance Leipold: Wisconsin-Whitewater (D3) hired by Buffalo

Mike Houston: James Madison (FCS) hired by ECU (jury still out on how successful he will be.)

Dino Babers: Eastern Illinois (FCS) hired by Bowling Green

Chris Klieman: North Dakota State (FCS) hired by Kansas St.

Jim Harbaugh: San Diego (FCS) hired by Stanford

Will Healy: Austin Peay (FCS) hired by Charlotte

Bill Clark: Jacksonville St. (FCS) hired by UAB

Jeff Monken: Georgia Southern (FCS at the time) hired by Army

Tom Arth: Chattanooga (FCS) hired by Akron

Chris Creighton: Drake (FCS) hired by Eastern Michigan

Craig Bohl: North Dakota State (FCS) hired by Wyoming

Terry Bowden: Samford (FCS) hired by Auburn

Reaction Score
You will not be able to hire a successful FBS head coach for $2 million. Who could you hire for $2 million?

Option 1: Retread FBS head coach.

Option 2: FBS assistant coach

Option 3: Successful FCS or D2 head coach.

In replacing Edsall 1.0, we tried option 1 two times and option 2 once. I hope we try Option 3 this time. There have been many examples of successful lower level coaches moving up to FBS:

Brian Kelly: Grand Valley St. (D2) hired by Central Michigan

Lance Leipold: Wisconsin-Whitewater (D3) hired by Buffalo

Mike Houston: James Madison (FCS) hired by ECU (jury still out on how successful he will be.)

Dino Babers: Eastern Illinois (FCS) hired by Bowling Green

Chris Klieman: North Dakota State (FCS) hired by Kansas St.

Jim Harbaugh: San Diego (FCS) hired by Stanford

Will Healy: Austin Peay (FCS) hired by Charlotte

Bill Clark: Jacksonville St. (FCS) hired by UAB

Jeff Monken: Georgia Southern (FCS at the time) hired by Army

Tom Arth: Chattanooga (FCS) hired by Akron

Chris Creighton: Drake (FCS) hired by Eastern Michigan

Craig Bohl: North Dakota State (FCS) hired by Wyoming

Terry Bowden: Samford (FCS) hired by Auburn
This appears to be a fairly up to date list of HC salaries. Not sure how we get by at less than $3M if we really want to compete, unless we gamble on some FCS coaches. Get the right guy and pay well but demand performance.

Reaction Score
This appears to be a fairly up to date list of HC salaries. Not sure how we get by at less than $3M if we really want to compete, unless we gamble on some FCS coaches. Get the right guy and pay well but demand performance.

Reaction Score
Depends on who is hired. Hopefully will raise interest.

I agree, at 2 million we should be able to lure one of the MAC's better head coaches or someone with that type of proven resume, no need to go with someone unproven like Orlando. Paying a neophyte HC like Orlando 2 million out of the gate would be asinine.

Gotta think 2 million would at least raise an eyebrow from someone like Moorhead because we are close to doubling his current salary. Yes he could probably get more from a P5 school but that comes with added pressures. Money isn't everything. After his Miss State experience he might want to go to a place where he feels more comfortable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, at 2 million we should be able to lure one of the MAC's better head coaches or someone with that type of proven resume, no need to go with someone unproven like Orlando. Paying a neophyte HC like Orlando 2 million out of the gate would be asinine.

Gotta think 2 million would at least raise an eyebrow from someone like Moorhead because we are close to doubling his current salary. Yes he could probably get more from a P5 school but that comes with added pressures. Money isn't everything. After his Miss State experience he might want to go to a place where he feels more comfortable.
The only current decent MAC coach is Jason Candle at Toledo and makes $1.8 million and he has bigger opportunities. To put things in perspective, the head coaches of the 3 AAC teams going to the Big 12 make $4 million, $4 million, and $3 million, and $2 million would be tied for the 2nd lowest salary in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Not sure of how the regulars are surprised by this. Randy came in under budget and got his kid a few years experience and exposure.
We are in the forth quarter and failure will mean the demise of the program. We have to pay now or pay later, non sports fans and tax payers are starting to speak out to shut down the program.
The new staff absolutely must succeed or we are back to a strictly basketball fan base. I follow multiple UConn sports but I will miss football if they cannot recover to respectable. I will be getting my season tickets early no matter who they hire in hopes things improve.
Let's go Huskies !!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How many FB-only fans are there, really?
The correct answer to this question should be "there aren't any one sport only UConn fans". We should be willing to support all sports the school sponsors and want success at the highest possible level across the board.

I will make one statement however that I know will cause many (who really don't care about the football program) to lose their minds (and I have been a men's basketball season ticket holder on and off for nearly four decades, have been to the majority of Big East tournaments that we've participated in, been to many tournament games and close to triple digit women's hoops games).

If starting next fall we were to endure a decade where both basketball programs performed similar to what our football program has done over the past decade but the football program had results similar to the men's basketball program over the same time period I would sign up for that in a heartbeat (every UConn fan should feel this way) as that would be the best way to ensure our existence in major athletics.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is a really good start but they need to pony up on the staff salaries.
A really good HC is of course needed but in football, I think more than any other sport, the assistants are vitally important
I hope this rumor is true and AD David Benedict is serious about bringing in quality - the rebuild is daunting and the independent conference status is not helping.
I strongly feel UConn needs a successful football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom