Uconn expectations and WCBB in general | The Boneyard

Uconn expectations and WCBB in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wrote a long response in the 2017-18 recruiting thread on a comparison between Kim and most coaches, and Geno and a few other coaches, and it got me thinking about the expectations game and how unique Uconn is in that regard.

At Uconn we have fallen into the mental rut of always judging our team by the end result of the NCAA tournament and whether we win our last game. Along the way to that goal we just expect to win our conference regular season title and our conference tournament title - they are signposts on the way to our appearance in the FF and our aspirations to win another NC. We are always a little shocked when we do not win the regular season and/or the tournament titles, but even when those aberrations strike, we are shocked when we bow out before the FF and certainly disappointed if we are not national champions.

And it is not just fan expectations, but it is our coaches' expectations - and they coach with those expectations in mind. Even Geno is complaining about an unaccustomed headache this year because he isn't sure if he is supposed to have those expectations (which he secretly does! :))

This is not normal. No other team's coaches or fans live in this world, nor do their players. This is a world that has existed for most of the last 20 years at Uconn. And the only other program that has lived there for an appreciable period of time is TN, and TN's dreams and expectations actually changed a bit before Pat was forced to retire and have shrunk a little further in the years since. They are now concerned to stay even with SC and maybe split the conference titles, and the ultimate goal is to revisit the FF again after almost a decade away. [For the late nineties maybe the FF was the goal, but since 2000 not getting an NC has been a disappointment except in the dark days of 2005-2008]

The other powers -
Baylor's goal is to win the Big 12 and it is a major celebration for them when they reach each and fend off variously Tx A&M, Oklahoma, and now TX. And for a few years the FF was expected and missing an NC was considered a disaster, but since Griner graduated the FF was the prize that was just out of reach.

Stanford - they like Uconn and TN expected the Pac10 titles as a part of their destiny, but for a long time now the FF is their ultimate prize after that string of 5 years where they thought a NC might be achievable.

ND - for many years beating Uconn was the aspiration, and for the last few years conference titles have been expected and FF was also expected, but an NC was an aspiration - but Uconn was always there. The two years they got past Uconn in that stretch, they couldn't close the deal.

The Big10 - whoever has been top dog in this conference has been satisfied with the conference titles and not being embarrassed in the NCAAs for the most part. MD maybe has a few higher expectations but they are also just trying to do better than Ohio State at the moment and vice versa.

SC - they are still vying hard to wrest the SEC from TN, and are still excited by making the FF. They aspire to an NC, but are not yet devastated by losing out to more 'worthy' teams.

The reason for this post was writing about coaches working hard to win games - that the pursuit of game wins was perhaps stunting their teams ability to win championships and this being true not just in WCBB but across sports. That are few coaches who actually coach for championships. It explains the great coaches incredible records - they have bigger aspirations (and maybe more security) and coach accordingly. This was my original post that got me thinking (next to last two posts):
U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Reaction Score
This is not normal. No other team's coaches or fans live in this world, nor do their players. This is a world that has existed for most of the last 20 years at Uconn.
92ba82be4fc7eede29b2567bc01890c9.jpg

Reaction Score
I agree Uconn fan more than others live in an un-natural world of many wins. Yet I still have vivid memories of Notre Dame winning game after game after game from Uconn and a loss to Baylor--John Attilla of the Courant staff--printed wildly high light in the sports section--MUFFET HAS GENO'S NUMBER.
The posters in the Courant were down and dirty and nasty--just plain insulting---it was not a fun time.
It wasn't the losses--because Uconn was IN every game--it was getting our noses rubbed into it.
Given the choice --I like winning--no matter it's impact on WBB. Moriah was a Freshman--and Uconn won the NC against ND.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To the OP - of course, UConn's expectations, fans and players and coaches, is different from other teams, no question.

No one else likely expects a NC, at least not every year. Various programs, including the usual suspects you named, believe they can compete for it most years (perhaps expect to make the FF every year). Few of them even succeed at that goal.

Of course, few programs / fans are disappointed in not achieving a NC in the way UConn would be. An individual team in a given year, yes, but it couldn't be said about any single program every year. Except among the most unrealistic fans, who do exist, of course.

Reaction Score
You know, I really like watching these young people win. But, anything they do is ok with me. They are developing into a power and with the talent on the horizon, wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom