Uconn Draft | The Boneyard

Uconn Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where do you guys see the draft-eligible Uconn players being drafted?
For reference, here who is draft-eligible
Carson Cross
Bryan Daniello
Nico Darras
Blake Davey
Connor David
Deroche-Duffin
Mcdowell
Melley
Over
Siena
Tabakman
Sundberg
Testani
Yavarone

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
All of this is purely speculation since there is very little coverage on the topic and I have no idea how pro scouts view these guys or the overall strength of the draft.

I think Siena and McDowell are the ones with solid draft stock. I think Siena probably has similar stock to Mazzilli his junior year. Cross will probably get taken but the combination of his age and lack of mid 90s velocity will be limiting factors. Davey will probably be a mid-late round pick as well. Guys like Tabakman tend to be late picks. I would think someone might take a flyer on him. Sundberg could as well because of his speed but his lack of size and power will likely be a hindrance (plus his performance at the plate really slipped later in the season).

Reaction Score
All of this is purely speculation since there is very little coverage on the topic and I have no idea how pro scouts view these guys or the overall strength of the draft.

I think Siena and McDowell are the ones with solid draft stock. I think Siena probably has similar stock to Mazzilli his junior year. Cross will probably get taken but the combination of his age and lack of mid 90s velocity will be limiting factors. Davey will probably be a mid-late round pick as well. Guys like Tabakman tend to be late picks. I would think someone might take a flyer on him. Sundberg could as well because of his speed but his lack of size and power will likely be a hindrance (plus his performance at the plate really slipped later in the season).

One thing that surprised me last year is that Anthony Marzi did not get picked in the draft, but he did sign later with the Yankees. All things being equal, I'm inclined to think that if Marzi did not get picked, than Tabakman would not get picked either.

Reaction Score
Where do you guys see the draft-eligible Uconn players being drafted?
For reference, here who is draft-eligible
Carson Cross
Bryan Daniello
Nico Darras
Blake Davey
Connor David
Deroche-Duffin
Mcdowell
Melley
Over
Siena
Tabakman
Sundberg
Testani
Yavarone

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/nebj-top-20-mlb-draft-prospects-from-new-england.77270/

None in the Top 500 per Baseball America:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/?sort=school&top=All&pos=All&4YR=on&year=2015

mets1090

Reaction Score
Siena's height must really be holding him back. Similar numbers to Mazz as a junior and he was a 9th round pick.

Edit: Unless I'm having some weird browser issues, that BA link only lists the top 200 picks (about 7 rounds worth of picks).

mets1090

Reaction Score
Well I wouldn't have expected anyone in the top 200 anyways. The 250-500 range is where it becomes tough to predict and you could easily see a guy like Siena (great numbers, questionable size) or McDowell (good offensive numbers for a catcher). With such little media coverage and so many rounds, it's really tough to speculate.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This year's BA 500 isn't out yet. I would expect to see Siena in the 400-500 range.

Reaction Score
Siena's height must really be holding him back. Similar numbers to Mazz as a junior and he was a 9th round pick.

Edit: Unless I'm having some weird browser issues, that BA link only lists the top 200 picks (about 7 rounds worth of picks).

Another thing that might be hurting Siena's draft prospects is the lousy year he had in 2013. I'm guessing one thing the draft people look for in a player is consistency.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Baseball America's BA 500 was just released.

• Carson Cross - 217
  • Vinny Siena - 311
  • Ronnie Rossomando (HS commit) - 325
  • Liam Scafariello (HS commit) - 396

Reaction Score
Baseball America's BA 500 was just released.

• Carson Cross - 217
  • Vinny Siena - 311
  • Ronnie Rossomando (HS commit) - 325
  • Liam Scafariello (HS commit) - 396

That puts Siena at around the 10th round, or perhaps a little higher with the extra supplemental picks that the draft throws in.

Not too long ago, I came across an article about Siena and his big year, and it had Coach Penders giving his thoughts about Vinny and the draft:

"Siena’s strong season has put him in a quandary that many top players face after their junior seasons. He will almost certainly be selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft June 8-10. The question is how high he’ll be drafted. Penders believes Siena deserves to be picked in the first 10 rounds, which, given his leverage as a junior who could return to school for another year, would likely mean a contract offer that would be tough to pass up.

“In order for them to buy you out of a senior year — a diploma, the chance to continue to develop in an environment that’s done just that — to pass up for a different environment, it should take top 10-round money,” the coach said.

However, if Siena falls beyond those first 10 rounds, things get tricky."

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...iena-having-bounceback-junior-season-at-uconn

Seeing juniors leave is part of the game, and you have to expect it. The tough part is keeping an eye on the draft and wondering if incoming freshmen will make it to Storrs or end up going pro.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Seeing juniors leave is part of the game, and you have to expect it. The tough part is keeping an eye on the draft and wondering if incoming freshmen will make it to Storrs or end up going pro.

Agreed - seeing Risedorf and Gorgas slip through was a bit surprising last year (Risedorf due to how high he went compared to his ranking, and Gorgas due to not receiving a substantial bonus). Rossomando and Scafariello are without question the two jewels of our incoming class so I really hope they make it on campus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed - seeing Risedorf and Gorgas slip through was a bit surprising last year (Risedorf due to how high he went compared to his ranking, and Gorgas due to not receiving a substantial bonus). Rossomando and Scafariello are without question the two jewels orf our incoming class so I really hope they make it on campus.

Not to mention that a team can always use a top notch freshman pitcher, and UConn really needs a quality corner outfielder.

Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges Jun 6
Several players with Connecticut ties should be taken in upcoming @MLBDraft #uconn
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...cticut-ties-expected-to-be-taken-in-mlb-draft

Not just UConn focused but...

>>As has become the norm, UConn boasts a bevy of players who will likely hear their names called some time over the next three days. Leading the way is Carson Cross, the 6-6 senior right-hander who just completed a terrific collegiate career. The Brentwood, New Hampshire, native went 10-2 with a 2.29 ERA, 108 strikeouts and just 25 walks in 106 innings for the Huskies and was named the American Athletic Conference’s Pitcher of the Year. Not bad, considering he had missed the entire 2014 season after undergoing shoulder surgery, performed by Dr. James Andrews. Cross’ Husky teammate, junior Devin Over of Windsor, is another possible draftee, though the reliever was limited to just 18 1/3 innings (3.44 ERA) this past season.

A trio of UConn position players are in line to be drafted, led by Woodbridge’s Vinny Siena. After a disappointing sophomore season, Siena bounced back with a tremendous junior year, leading the Huskies in hitting at .364 with seven homers and a team-high 54 RBIs. Originally thought of as maybe a mid-round selection at best, Siena could jump much higher, according to UConn coach Jim Penders. “He’s ready,” Penders said. “He’s a pro second baseman if I’ve ever seen one. He’s ahead of L.J. (Mazzilli, a 2013 fourth-round pick by the Mets) as a junior. He’s made himself into a bona fide pro second baseman.” Catcher Max McDowell of North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, first baseman Bobby Melley of Barnstable, Massachusetts, and outfielder Jack Sundberg of Mansfield are other Huskies who could be selected.

Then there’s the interesting case of a potential future Husky, Stratford’s Ronnie Rossomando. The 6-5, 242-pound right-hander from Bunnell has committed to UConn, but could go the route of Monroe’s Thomas Milone, who had also committed to the Huskies but was selected by Tampa Bay in the third round of the 2013 draft and took the $530,600 signing bonus and turned pro. Rossomando, however, isn’t expected to be taken nearly as high, and all signs point to him heading to Storrs.<<

Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges Jun 6
Several players with Connecticut ties should be taken in upcoming @MLBDraft #uconn
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...cticut-ties-expected-to-be-taken-in-mlb-draft

Not just UConn focused but...

>>As has become the norm, UConn boasts a bevy of players who will likely hear their names called some time over the next three days. Leading the way is Carson Cross, the 6-6 senior right-hander who just completed a terrific collegiate career. The Brentwood, New Hampshire, native went 10-2 with a 2.29 ERA, 108 strikeouts and just 25 walks in 106 innings for the Huskies and was named the American Athletic Conference’s Pitcher of the Year. Not bad, considering he had missed the entire 2014 season after undergoing shoulder surgery, performed by Dr. James Andrews. Cross’ Husky teammate, junior Devin Over of Windsor, is another possible draftee, though the reliever was limited to just 18 1/3 innings (3.44 ERA) this past season.

A trio of UConn position players are in line to be drafted, led by Woodbridge’s Vinny Siena. After a disappointing sophomore season, Siena bounced back with a tremendous junior year, leading the Huskies in hitting at .364 with seven homers and a team-high 54 RBIs. Originally thought of as maybe a mid-round selection at best, Siena could jump much higher, according to UConn coach Jim Penders. “He’s ready,” Penders said. “He’s a pro second baseman if I’ve ever seen one. He’s ahead of L.J. (Mazzilli, a 2013 fourth-round pick by the Mets) as a junior. He’s made himself into a bona fide pro second baseman.” Catcher Max McDowell of North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, first baseman Bobby Melley of Barnstable, Massachusetts, and outfielder Jack Sundberg of Mansfield are other Huskies who could be selected.

Then there’s the interesting case of a potential future Husky, Stratford’s Ronnie Rossomando. The 6-5, 242-pound right-hander from Bunnell has committed to UConn, but could go the route of Monroe’s Thomas Milone, who had also committed to the Huskies but was selected by Tampa Bay in the third round of the 2013 draft and took the $530,600 signing bonus and turned pro. Rossomando, however, isn’t expected to be taken nearly as high, and all signs point to him heading to Storrs.<<

I'm a little surprised that Devin Over is frequently mentioned as a big draft prospect. There's no question that he could be very good, as there were moments where he was indeed brilliant on the mound, but just not enough of them. There were also also times where he just totally lost his control as well, not to mention that he was on the shelf twice during the year due to injury. I'm thinking his injury history will scare teams off, but I guess the key is that he does have a lot of potential, and that is something that pro clubs seem to often value above all else.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
BA's Connecticut Draft Map was released yesterday. UConn listed as "Other Players of Note" in the state are Over, Davey, Sundberg, Tabakman, Melley, and McDowell. HS commits gaining this distinction are Zac Susi for CT, P.J. Poulin for MA, and Alex Hintze for WI.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Draft resumes at 1 pm today and will carry us through Round 10. Solid chance we see Cross go today and Siena is a toss up. Things get tricky when trying to line up who likes him enough for a top 10 pick and also has the bonus money to sign him (much like Mazz as a junior). If we don't see him go today the odds start tipping back towards him returning for senior year.

Also if we see any of our freshmen go today I would imagine they won't be enrolling at UConn. You never know who will be lacking bonus money and look at signing a guy like Rossomando or Scafariello under slot in rounds 8-10.

mets1090

Reaction Score
About halfway through the 8th round and no UConn players taken yet. Only guy I've seen with CT ties was Wilcox from URI (Newtown). One would expect Cross and Siena to come off the board soon. I would be surprised if Cross didn't get taken soon. Seniors tend to sign for under slot since they don't really have other options so teams can use their later picks in the first 10 rounds on them to free up a little extra bonus money for other picks.

Reaction Score
I've tried to find a scouting report on Cross but what actually is his velocity?

mets1090

Reaction Score
Sits 88-90 mph.

Given his age and less than plus velocity, it's understandable why he would slip. I'm mainly surprised that a team that took players with signability issues in rounds 2-4 didn't take a flyer on him in the 10th. They could have likely signed Cross well below slot and then taken the extra $100k to sweeten the deal for one of their earlier picks who might be leaning towards returning for their Senior year (or, in the case of a high school player, enrolling in college).

mets1090

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Max McDowell who goes in the 13th round (391 overall) to Milwaukee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom