UConn Draft Signings | The Boneyard

UConn Draft Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Just started looking around to see what I can find. So far I have found that Oberg has signed with the Rockies (Link) and Mazzilli has yet to sign with the Twins (Link - not sure when it was last updated). The Twins have signed 8 of the 13 selections they made in the first 10 rounds.

Fischer has signed with the Nationals. Link

Best of luck to Fischer and Oberg in their professional pursuits.

The greedy Husky fan in me is holding out hope that Mazz will return.

Reaction Score
Obviously as a 9th round pick I'm sure that the Twins would like to sign Mazzilli, but the onus may be on him to get a deal done.

Of course a lot depends on how close they are to their signing pool budget.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is anyone from here posting on this twins message board, but apparently the deadline to sign picks is this Friday and there are no reports of Mazz signing yet.

Another tidbit...

Star Tribune

Twins scouting director Deron Johnson said the club is still looking to sign more picks before the deadline. Their top target is ninth-round pick L.J. Mazzilli, a second baseman out of the University of Connecticut. The recommended bonus for that spot in the draft is $130,000. Mazzilli, the son of former major leaguer Lee Mazzilli, might be looking for more.

Minor leaguers really don't make much money at all until they start cashing a check at the Big League level so it would not surprise me if Mazz wanted to try to come back and improve his draft stock to somewhere in the first 5 rounds. I think he will sign with the Twins by the deadline but there is a decent chance that $130,000 doesn't get the job done. So if the Twins aren't willing to give him more it could be back to college for L.J. I can't wait for the deadline to come and go so we can know for sure what he is doing and starting looking forward to next year.

Reaction Score
Gotta follow Chris Jones if your not...good source of info. Student @ UConn and Sports Director at 91.7 WHUS.
Tonight on Mazzilli:
Chris Jones [EMAIL='‏@JonesCcji']@JonesCcj[/EMAIL]i - "One source told me today that scout he talked to says good chance LJ is back in Storrs next year. Having an All American back would be huge."
Chris Jones @JonesCcj - "Still gotta see what happens come Friday but having your 3 hitter back with his experience puts UConn in contention for BE title"
Chris Jones @JonesCcj "Twins have 208,000 to sign Mazzilli from the bonus money they are allotted for 1-10 round picks. Can go over tht but would be penalized"

I would love to see LJ get his pro career up and running but would really love to see him back in Storrs for one more year

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am surprised that Mazzilli isn't playing on the Cape right now. Usually, Juniors drafted that are seriously considering coming back to school, play on the Cape (ie Andreoli last year). At minimum, it gives you a little more leverage with the MLB team if you are having a very good summer.

Anyone know why Mazzilli isn't on the Cape? Or know what he is doing this summer instead?

Reaction Score
Plucked this off a Twins Blog...

>>Will LJ Mazzilli sign?

The Twins have done a good job this year signing their top picks - only 1 player drafted in rounds 1-10 is unsigned: LJ Mazzilli.

My question is, will he sign, or will he return for another year at school?

I found an article on the internet which seemed to indicate he expected to be drafted in the first two rounds, which would carry a bonus of $500K+. Instead, he fell to the ninth round, with a slot of $130.8K. According to Baseball America, the Twins are currently $208.5K under their bonus pool, so they could theoretically offer Mazzilli up to around $340K, which is probably a bit less than he was hoping for (that assumes that all draft picks signed in rounds 11-40 all sign for at most $100K each).

However, given that the Twins bonus pool for the year was about $12.4M, and that they can spend up to 5% above without losing a draft pick, they could theoretically have about $600K additional they could use if they want. That could allow them to give Mazzilli the money he thought he might get even if he hadn't fallen to the ninth round.

So anybody heard any news on this, one way or another?<<

mets1090

Reaction Score
Anyone have an idea of how fast we can expect the BA list to update?

Reaction Score
Editor of College Baseball Daily - “@BFoley82: I believe @UConnHuskies will be a team to reckon with next year in #CollegeBaseball”

Reaction Score
Confirmed - “@AmoreCourant: LJ Mazzilli, drafted by Twins in ninth round, says he will return to #uconnbaseball for senior year instead.”

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Wonder if he may get some time at SS this year to potentially improve his draft position.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Absolutely pumped for next year. This past year wasn't painful at all (by rebuilding standards) and we should be back in the NCAA's next year with our pitching and hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom