UCONN DORMS | The Boneyard

UCONN DORMS

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I just saw on the news that UCONN has quarantined 5 dorms. I hope this is not a trend developing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not good. I’ve been checking the UConn Coronavirus Dashboard daily to monitor the impact of the virus on campus. The high point was 66 active cases on campus about a month ago. UConn had driven down that number to 12 a week ago. But now it’s up to 30 and rising once again.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
This is not good. I’ve been checking the UConn Coronavirus Dashboard daily to monitor the impact of the virus on campus. The high point was 66 active cases on campus about a month ago. UConn had driven down that number to 12 a week ago. But now it’s up to 30 and rising once again.
Yeah, you're right. I just heard that cases in all 50 states are increasing.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is to be expected. Every medical expert said months ago there would be a second wave on the fall. Well, it's fall.
And apparently more tests are available and being given, so...
As I have said previously (I think), I would like to see the number of positive results in relation to the number of test results for the same day, week, etc. It doesn't have any effect on the number of positive results but might help to better understand the results. Now, back to UConn WBB.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, the experts have indicated that we would see a resurgence in the fall. 30 cases on campus is manageable. Maybe 100 cases is manageable. But at some point, if the number of positive cases continues to grow, university operations will need to be restricted, perhaps to include WBB.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any statistics, or done the math myself, but cases are up and so are hospitalizations. But from what I can eyeball from the news, the rate of hospitalizations per the number of cases is down. If true, at least this is a little bit of good news. I suspect it might be a combination of protecting our most vulnerable and more younger people pushing the numbers up, and hopefully understanding how to better care for those infected. For extra credit, anyone want to look at the numbers and substantiate/refute this assumption?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a couple of weeks till they have to go home so they are going to party. Nothing was going to stop that from happening. And the rates will go up. But then the dorms will be empty and the risk to the athletes remaining drops.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Some people have a short memory. If some people do not follow the rules, and are not careful, there will NOT be Women's basketball! How did the NCAA Tournament work out last Spring?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the big tests for this country is the upcoming New Years. No, not Thanksgiving, not Christmas, although these holiday's will contribute. Even with a vaccine we could be looking at a third wave coming February/March.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And apparently more tests are available and being given, so...
As I have said previously (I think), I would like to see the number of positive results in relation to the number of test results for the same day, week, etc. It doesn't have any effect on the number of positive results but might help to better understand the results. Now, back to UConn WBB.
Those numbers are available (for Arizona, they are in the paper every day). Number of tests and number of positives. The percentage is considered extremely important; but they only print the cumulative percent for the state and county. I believe it was below 5% and now about 10% here in Arizona, but that is off the cuff.

Hospitalizations are important and reportedly they are at the highest since the pandemic began (though only by a few thousand). The caveat was those were at the first and 2nd (July) peak, they are growing right now. Of course, they are more spread out and not quite as concentrated, although reportedly there are hospitals under stress.

Reaction Score
It's a couple of weeks till they have to go home so they are going to party. Nothing was going to stop that from happening. And the rates will go up. But then the dorms will be empty and the risk to the athletes remaining drops.

I don’t think that’s fair. All evidence suggests that the vast majority of UConn students have taken the pandemic and the necessary precautions seriously.

Reaction Score

Univ of Maryland is telling students that live in the dorms if they go home for break don’t come back. North campus dorms usually close during winter break but this year they are letting the students stay.

Reaction Score
I guess the question is how many of these kids are quarantined because they have tested positive and how many are quarantined as a result of contact tracing exposures without a positive test?

Reaction Score
The problem is that all around the university the virus is exploding. We've gone from less than 50 patients hospitalized in Connecticut to nearly 600. Governor Lamont has revealed that half of the hospital beds in the state designated for Covid patients are now filled. And the latest percentage of tests that are positive is nearly 5%. We're in the middle of the fifty states in terms of new infections in the past seven days per 100,000 population, while we used to be among the very lowest of the fifty states. What's even more concerning is that while in the past we were on par with the other states in the Northeast region, we're now double the infection rate of New York.

UConn does not exist in a vacuum. Most of the students, the students who surround the athletes on the women's basketball team, come from Connecticut. Fingers crossed.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess the question is how many of these kids are quarantined because they have tested positive and how many are quarantined as a result of contact tracing exposures without a positive test?
There are currently 37 positive cases on campus at Storrs. They are all isolated in one dormitory that has been set aside for positive coronavirus cases. The remainder of the students quarantined at Storrs have potentially been exposed, but have not yet tested positive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And it is not just Uconn's situation that is important in terms of the team having a meaningful season. The SEC is running into problems with having to postpone football games, SC, MS, IL, KY, etc. all home states for currently scheduled opponents are all in a bad way with rampant infection rates.

The test positivity rate is the best indication of how the number of tests relates to the number of active cases. Generally it was dropping to or below 1% around the country in late summer, it is now going rapidly in the opposite direction.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And it is not just Uconn's situation that is important in terms of the team having a meaningful season. The SEC is running into problems with having to postpone football games, SC, MS, IL, KY, etc. all home states for currently scheduled opponents are all in a bad way with rampant infection rates.

The test positivity rate is the best indication of how the number of tests relates to the number of active cases. Generally it was dropping to or below 1% around the country in late summer, it is now going rapidly in the opposite direction.
Country-wide it was never quite that good. Below 5%, however, during the non-peak (early results from the "1st wave" lack context because of limited testing). Was averaging in the 7% or so range during the summer peak and is slightly higher in the last 10 day period.

Here in Arizona, where it definitely was going well, today's number - hopefully an anomaly - was in the 20% range; the average since the beginning is over 7% (they report this daily in the paper).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Campus now reporting 50 positive cases, up 14 from this morning. Evidently, that includes at least 1 MBB player. As a result, the men’s team practices have been curtailed to permit only 2 players to practice together at a time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom