UConn Director of Men's Basketball Communications (Managing Editor) & Director of Men's Basketball Creative Content (Graphic Designer) Postings | The Boneyard

UConn Director of Men's Basketball Communications (Managing Editor) & Director of Men's Basketball Creative Content (Graphic Designer) Postings

Reaction Score
Director Of Men's Basketball Communications (Managing Editor)

JOB SUMMARY
The University of Connecticut is seeking applications for the full-time position of Director of Men’s Basketball Communications.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities will include serving as the primary Athletic Communications contact for the four-time national champion men’s basketball team.

The successful candidate will need to have the ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to convey clear, well-articulated information in producing media materials, online team record books, news releases, and feature stories. This candidate will serve as the liaison between local, regional, and national media outlets with oversight of all daily and weekly (internal/external) media interview requests between media outlets for the men’s basketball coaches and student-athletes. The successful candidate will need to possess strong creativity and proficiency in the area of social media management and strong interpersonal skills; regularly interface with the men’s basketball coaching staff, and creative units with the objective of enhancing the program’s presence on digital and social platforms; must be highly organized, detail-oriented, a good communicator and possess the ability to handle numerous assignments in a timely manner with the flexibility to adjust to unscheduled developments involving immediate attention.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
  • Bachelor’s degree in communications, sports management, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
  • Minimum of four years of experience in the media relations field with a Division I men’s or women’s basketball or football program or with a professional sports organization.
  • Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
  • Expertise in PhotoShop, InDesign, and/or other Adobe Creative Suite software.
  • Proficient in NCAA Genius.
  • Experience using a content management system tool, preferably Sidearm.
  • A demonstrated working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
  • Master’s degree in communications, sports management, or a related field.
  • Minimum of two years of experience working in college athletics, with primary oversight of at least one program’s social media platform.
  • Athletic media relations experience as a primary or secondary contact in the NCAA Tournament.
  • Experience with an athletics program that is covered prominently in the local and/or national media.
APPOINTMENT TERMS
This is a full-time position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's background and experience. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 20, 2023.

Reaction Score

Director Of Men's Basketball Creative Content

JOB SUMMARY
The University of Connecticut Division of Athletics is seeking applications for the position of Director of Men’s Basketball Creative Content (classification: graphic designer). The position will be responsible for developing and executing all creative content needs, concepts, and projects for the men’s basketball program.

The Creative Director for Men’s Basketball will work under the leadership and direction of the Director of Creative Content to support all digital content including video, photography, and graphic design needs of the Department and the men's basketball program. The selected candidate will be forward-thinking, with the ability to develop and execute a strategic digital content strategy to engage recruits and fans. The digital content will serve to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders and initiatives including strategic social media content, recruiting efforts, digital assets, advertisements, and website content. This position will work in collaboration with multiple departments including Video Services, Marketing and Communications. Oversee, in collaboration with men’s basketball coaching staff, the overall ideation, creative direction and production of digital content and media across multiple mediums, with a focus on men’s basketball social media platforms; serve as a content creator, with the ability to successfully manage a unit as well as lead the collaborative efforts of promoting the men’s basketball team; create and manage the execution of the year-round content calendar for the program; create and deliver original and targeted content for recruits; assist in the planning and execution of all content used during on-campus recruiting visits. The individual will possess highly effective communication skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously, is a self-motivated and driven individual who has a passion for applying creativity and innovation to content creation. This job requires a flexible schedule including some nights, weekends, and holidays; and the ability to perform job related duties on short notice.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
  • Bachelor’s degree in appropriate area of specialization such as graphic design, marketing, journalism, communications or another applicable area of study.
  • Three years of experience working in creative services for a collegiate or professional sports organization.
  • Proficient experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
  • Proficient experience in social media content creation and execution.
  • Experience in project management from conception to completion.
  • Comprehensive knowledge of general digital media principles.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
  • Experience leading a creative content team of interns/student workers.
  • Skilled in animation/motion graphics such as Adobe After Effects.
  • Proficient in photography, videography and video editing/design.
  • Experience building a social media strategy and experience with building a brand through digital content.
APPOINTMENT TERMS
This is a full-time position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's background and experience. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 20, 2023.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I've seen some people post pretty creative content on the Boneyard but it may not be exactly what the university is looking for.

Reaction Score
I think this is the second time the Creative position has been posted. Must not have liked the applicant pool last time.

Reaction Score
"Expertise in PhotoShop"
For some reason I find that humorous, as if it's some underhanded skill anyone can learn in order to be deceptive.

So we got this poster at a recent women's game and my daughter told me there was something wrong with it. Take a gander and let me know what you think. I thought it was a photo shop mistake but it may just be an unfortunate angle. And no, it's not the Anastasia magnet.

hoops1.jpeg

Reaction Score
"Expertise in PhotoShop"
For some reason I find that humorous, as if it's some underhanded skill anyone can learn in order to be deceptive.

So we got this poster at a recent women's game and my daughter told me there was something wrong with it. Take a gander and let me know what you think. I thought it was a photo shop mistake but it may just be an unfortunate angle. And no, it's not the Anastasia magnet.

View attachment 84830

A basic thing you learn as an artist is "perspective": things in the back would appear to be smaller as you go back in space. It's bugged me for years that the person/people doing these team compilation things don't follow that and sometimes do just the opposite.

Reaction Score
Definitely someone needs to do a photoshop with Azzi as Beldar (Akroyd) and Jane Curtain's daughter.

But why the heck is there an Anastasia poster in the background?! Seems too random to not be specific to some team anecdote.

Reaction Score

Director Of Men's Basketball Creative Content

JOB SUMMARY
The University of Connecticut Division of Athletics is seeking applications for the position of Director of Men’s Basketball Creative Content (classification: graphic designer). The position will be responsible for developing and executing all creative content needs, concepts, and projects for the men’s basketball program.

The Creative Director for Men’s Basketball will work under the leadership and direction of the Director of Creative Content to support all digital content including video, photography, and graphic design needs of the Department and the men's basketball program. The selected candidate will be forward-thinking, with the ability to develop and execute a strategic digital content strategy to engage recruits and fans. The digital content will serve to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders and initiatives including strategic social media content, recruiting efforts, digital assets, advertisements, and website content. This position will work in collaboration with multiple departments including Video Services, Marketing and Communications. Oversee, in collaboration with men’s basketball coaching staff, the overall ideation, creative direction and production of digital content and media across multiple mediums, with a focus on men’s basketball social media platforms; serve as a content creator, with the ability to successfully manage a unit as well as lead the collaborative efforts of promoting the men’s basketball team; create and manage the execution of the year-round content calendar for the program; create and deliver original and targeted content for recruits; assist in the planning and execution of all content used during on-campus recruiting visits. The individual will possess highly effective communication skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously, is a self-motivated and driven individual who has a passion for applying creativity and innovation to content creation. This job requires a flexible schedule including some nights, weekends, and holidays; and the ability to perform job related duties on short notice.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
  • Bachelor’s degree in appropriate area of specialization such as graphic design, marketing, journalism, communications or another applicable area of study.
  • Three years of experience working in creative services for a collegiate or professional sports organization.
  • Proficient experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
  • Proficient experience in social media content creation and execution.
  • Experience in project management from conception to completion.
  • Comprehensive knowledge of general digital media principles.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
  • Experience leading a creative content team of interns/student workers.
  • Skilled in animation/motion graphics such as Adobe After Effects.
  • Proficient in photography, videography and video editing/design.
  • Experience building a social media strategy and experience with building a brand through digital content.
APPOINTMENT TERMS

They should post the salary range. It's 2023, transparency is key.

Reaction Score
Definitely someone needs to do a photoshop with Azzi as Beldar (Akroyd) and Jane Curtain's daughter.

But why the heck is there an Anastasia poster in the background?! Seems too random to not be specific to some team anecdote.
Not sure if you're joking or not, but the picture is a photo of a poster affixed to something with an Anastasia magnet.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I just figured out how to change the background of my LinkedIn headshot photo. I think I’m ready for the big time…

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're joking or not, but the picture is a photo of a poster affixed to something with an Anastasia magnet.
Yes. But why an Anastasia magnet? And if it's on someone's fridge, what's in the fridge? Hmmm??

Reaction Score
"Expertise in PhotoShop"

View attachment 84830

Nika Muhl is smiling so it must be photoshopped.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed how much some of you know about uconn sports. It makes me feel quite deficient as a fan.
Chardis was the UConn beat writer for the Journal Inquirer before taking this job about 5 years ago. Anyone who reads the JI knows this.

Reaction Score
Chardis was the UConn beat writer for the Journal Inquirer before taking this job about 5 years ago. Anyone who reads the JI knows this.
Got it. I haven't lived in CT since 2002

Reaction Score
Phil Chardis is indeed retiring.

“Who could ask for a better end?” Chardis said. “It’s great, the team was great. They’ve been great to me. It’s been a great ride. I mean I’ll never forget my 39 years at the JI, but the 12 years at UConn have been tremendous, and you couldn’t end it in a better way.”

“Covering the team when Jim Calhoun was the coach was a trip,” Chardis said with a laugh. “There was never a dull moment, that’s for sure.”

“But I may keep my hand in here. I’ve been talking about doing some writing for UConn and the website. That’ll be fun. So, I’ll still be around.”

If you right click on this article and click on "Open Link in Incognito Window" you should be able to open it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom