UCONN-Creighton NCAA Soccer | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton NCAA Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
only 500 (or less) tickets remain for this Sunday's 1pm NCAA quarterfinal (Elite 8) match.

If you can't make it to the match, a free video feed will be available at www.uconnhuskies.com

(I should tell you the video feed has been a bit choppy, at least for me).

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
The video feed at uconnhuskies.com was about 20 minutes behind for the last game.

Reaction Score
40 minutes in, we're brig outshot, 8-3, shots on goal, 2-1. Ridiculous.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Year doesn't matter. Players don't matter. You just know that when it's time for the chips to get put down, when the game is on the line, a Ray Reid team is going to shrivel up and fold in the cruelest way possible.

No coach blows more winnable games at home in the NCAAs than Ray Reid. None. Ever.

Look at the last seven years- what are the accomplishments? A couple of BE regular-season titles. How many Big East Tournament titles? How many Final Fours?

This is clearly, CLEARLY, a coaching and preperation problem.

Reaction Score
What angers me so much is that not 1 UCOnn team is acting like our athletic livelihood is on the line sans women's hoop. Repetition at its worst. Ray Reid has mastered the choke job, his teams have perfected it. There's a lot of talk how women's hoop gets to play home games in the ncaa. They win them. Men's soccer was undefeated at home in 07, 11, and this year. And they lose the one that counts the most. They have no clue how to handle the pressure, they are choke artists no other way to describe how they lost these games.

Our entire athletic dept is in quick sand. The biggest sign of that is what happened this weekend.

Reaction Score
What angers me so much is that not 1 UCOnn team is acting like our athletic livelihood is on the line sans women's hoop. Repetition at its worst. Ray Reid has mastered the choke job, his teams have perfected it. There's a lot of talk how women's hoop gets to play home games in the ncaa. They win them. Men's soccer was undefeated at home in 07, 11, and this year. And they lose the one that counts the most. They have no clue how to handle the pressure, they are choke artists no other way to describe how they lost these games.

Our entire athletic dept is in quick sand. The biggest sign of that is what happened this weekend.

HIDE YO CHILDREN AND HIDE YO WIFE!

The world is gonna end!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Year doesn't matter. Players don't matter. You just know that when it's time for the chips to get put down, when the game is on the line, a Ray Reid team is going to shrivel up and fold in the cruelest way possible.

No coach blows more winnable games at home in the NCAAs than Ray Reid. None. Ever.

Look at the last seven years- what are the accomplishments? A couple of BE regular-season titles. How many Big East Tournament titles? How many Final Fours?

And it seems like it always ends 1-0 in the opponent's favor.

Reaction Score
With posts like this I'm not surprised your afraid to leave college and join the work force.

Afraid to leave college? No - I'm not afraid. I'm earning my PhD from one of the best schools that does what I'm doing.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
In fairness to Ray, his team played an Elite Eight game as a road underdog at Maryland and got clobbered. So he doesn't only lose as home favorites.

I think Chris Gbandi should be in the Soccer Hall of Fame just for getting Ray Reid to the College Cup twice. That's quite a feat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

It doesn't matter what women's hoops does, because as realignment has taught us, nobody gives a .

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what women's hoops does, because as realignment has taught us, nobody gives a ****.

Did I say it mattered? It would be nice if the sport that did matter wasn't in such a pathetic state right now is all I'm saying and it would be nice if some of the other teams could step their games out and help us win right now instead of repeating past history seeing whats at stake in expansion.

Reaction Score
Did I say it mattered? It would be nice if the sport that did matter wasn't in such a pathetic state right now is all I'm saying and it would be nice if some of the other teams could step their games out and help us win right now instead of repeating past history seeing whats at stake in expansion.

You said "acting like our athletic livelihood is on the line sans women's hoop".

Reaction Score
FIRE RAY REID!! :(

Hopeless sarcasm aside, Akron probably played them better than we did. They played a full game. It seems to me as if Reid plays not to lose at times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is a opposite situation to P. Is there another guy out there who UConn can get that will do better than Reid? He brings in good players every year. The team sells a ton of tickets. Stuff happens in soccer. Morrone was no different. He couldn't win the big one with Joe Jr. and Erhardt Kapp.

Reaction Score
This is a opposite situation to P. Is there another guy out there who UConn can get that will do better than Reid? He brings in good players every year. The team sells a ton of tickets. Stuff happens in soccer. Morrone was no different. He couldn't win the big one with Joe Jr. and Erhardt Kapp.

I don't know enough about college soccer coaching, but I think Waq hit the nail on the head. Perennial top 10 team that makes S16 and E8's frequently but has admittedly not advanced frequently enough for all fans of the program (including myself I might add) to the College Cup (Final 4) and has but 1 NCAA title. As Waq pointed out, Hall of Famer Joe Morrone Sr. won but 1 NCAA title himself.

That said, emotional responses days, hours or even minutes after a very tough loss are to be expected as we are all fans (short for fanatics after all) here on the Yard but rational thought has to prevail after the initial emotion of the moment.

I don't pretend to know the answer to the questions but 1. are there really clearly better coaches than Ray Reid out there to take over the program? and more importantly perhaps, 2. is said coach(s) actually willing to come to UCONN?

I would appreciate people's thoughts especially uconnhoops1 in addition to zls and others in this thread.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't know enough about college soccer coaching, but I think Waq hit the nail on the head. Perennial top 10 team that makes S16 and E8's frequently but has admittedly not advanced frequently enough for all fans of the program (including myself I might add) to the College Cup (Final 4) and has but 1 NCAA title. As Waq pointed out, Hall of Famer Joe Morrone Sr. won but 1 NCAA title himself.

That said, emotional responses days, hours or even minutes after a very tough loss are to be expected as we are all fans (short for fanatics after all) here on the Yard but rational thought has to prevail after the initial emotion of the moment.

I don't pretend to know the answer to the questions but 1. are there really clearly better coaches than Ray Reid out there to take over the program? and more importantly perhaps, 2. is said coach(s) actually willing to come to UCONN?

I would appreciate people's thoughts especially uconnhoops1 in addition to zls and others in this thread.

The answers to your questions:

1) No, there aren't.
2) N/A, since the answer to 1) is "No"

The man attracts talent, develops talent, sends talent off to the MLS and other pro leagues (at both Southern CT and UConn), and wins a ton of games in the process. What many here are failing to grasp is just how difficult it is to win a tournament like this, especially when there are 8 to 10 teams that are just as good as you are. Extremely difficult! He is listed as the 38th winningest soccer coach in NCAA history, and has won the "big one" also. All of these things should lead one to believe that this issue is not an issue at all.

I wonder how many of these people calling for Reid's replacement wanted Calhoun replaced in 2002 or 2003, since he had only won the big one once...:confused:

Reaction Score
I don't think in any way shape or form that you can actually consider getting rid of him. Being a consistent top 10 team is no small feat in frigid Storrs. If we were in a situation where we could be guaranteed to recruit at a high level no matter what (say, UCLA), you could maybe consider some new blood - someone who maybe has a different style that is a better recipe for success in the postseason. But cutting Reid loose means we could find ourselves out of the national picture altogether without a home run hire, and that's just not worth the risk.

So I think we should just be content with bitching about him on the messageboards, until one day maybe he has his Alabama game that Calhoun had in '04 and gets back to the College Cup again. Sort of game where we score twice in the first 10 minutes and then slowly pull away.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ray is largely despised in the college soccer community for his brash attitude and indifference towards the press and the development of homegrown players. His frequent use of international players, as opposed to American players, is the opposite of Joe Morrone, and the subject of CONSIDERABLE scorn in the community.

There's also the small matter of selfishly keeping a pair of Hermann Trophy winners in school an extra year when they were ready to go pro, only to have them both suffer injuries that really hurt their pro stock and careers. Selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom