UConn Considers Mirror Lake Improvements to Address Flood-Control Measures, Other Issues | The Boneyard

UConn Considers Mirror Lake Improvements to Address Flood-Control Measures, Other Issues

Reaction Score
Just how much will this cost? What are the long-terms goals with the structure? Maybe wiser to put a new stadium on campus. UConn/the state do not always plan effectively. For instance, UConn is now estimating making drainage improvements to Mirror Lake will run $25 to $30 million. The ducks will be happy. The taxpayers, NOT.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Normally fixing mirror Lake wouldn't be high on my list, but sounds like it has become necessary. Oh well, dredge away. Maybe they'll find some rings that were thrown in there by a jilted girlfriend that will help pay for it :).

Reaction Score
Normally fixing mirror Lake wouldn't be high on my list, but sounds like it has become necessary. Oh well, dredge away. Maybe they'll find some rings that were thrown in there by a jilted girlfriend that will help pay for it :).
Pages 8-46 details the history of Mirror Lake and proposed improvements. Should be a nice addition to the university if they do as planned.

Reaction Score
Just how much will this cost? What are the long-terms goals with the structure? Maybe wiser to put a new stadium on campus. UConn/the state do not always plan effectively. For instance, UConn is now estimating making drainage improvements to Mirror Lake will run $25 to $30 million. The ducks will be happy. The taxpayers, NOT.

I read this article about Mirror Lake earlier today. It said that there has been a buildup of slit since it was last dredged in 1946 that is 4-6 feet deep. This obviously affects water quality. It went on to say that the silt is also responsible for increased flow of the exiting stream in big rains that flows under Rt 195 endangering the culvert which is complete BS. You can get rid of the silt but water in water out from a lake. Unless you drain the lake down before a rain like they do with Mansfield Hollow flood control dam the lake will be full and with any rain it will have to flow out. Enlarging the culvert under 195 should be done with the increased precipitation levels we are now experiencing plus there is more hardscape on campus resulting in more runoff. Spending this much on Mirror Lake which is really a small pond seems like highway robbery IMO.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Looks great, but there’s a lot of other places I would rather spend $35 million.

7797FECB-6B39-4BC9-934D-ECC15B9C657A.jpeg

6B32B666-7DC6-43DE-BA9C-6CA55459FD8C.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spending this much on Mirror Lake which is really a small pond seems like highway robbery IMO.
I bet that's what they said every time the issue came up over the years.

CL82

Reaction Score
if so, they were correct.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nah, you have to take care of your front door.
Agreed but it doesn’t have to be a solid gold front door. I would have to take a look at the actual bid documents to see how much of the cost was flood control and how much was cosmetics. First on the chopping block? The bridge to nowhere.

Reaction Score

I can see the dredging as a real need. You don't want to have the gradual changeover to a swamp with cattails and phragmites reeling their ugly heads. Then you have the water being green due to nutrient load. The dam and control valve most likely need to be replaced. Dam valves get put in and then not turned much so unless they are all brass they seize up. There is work needed I am sure but for a body of water that small the price is real high.

Reaction Score
I can see the dredging as a real need. You don't want to have the gradual changeover to a swamp with cattails and phragmites reeling their ugly heads. Then you have the water being green due to nutrient load. The dam and control valve most likely need to be replaced. Dam valves get put in and then not turned much so unless they are all brass they seize up. There is work needed I am sure but for a body of water that small the price is real high.
See the complete study in @UCONNJACK post above for more details (combined two threads).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I read this article about Mirror Lake earlier today. It said that there has been a buildup of slit since it was last dredged in 1946 that is 4-6 feet deep. This obviously affects water quality. It went on to say that the silt is also responsible for increased flow of the exiting stream in big rains that flows under Rt 195 endangering the culvert which is complete BS. You can get rid of the silt but water in water out from a lake. Unless you drain the lake down before a rain like they do with Mansfield Hollow flood control dam the lake will be full and with any rain it will have to flow out. Enlarging the culvert under 195 should be done with the increased precipitation levels we are now experiencing plus there is more hardscape on campus resulting in more runoff. Spending this much on Mirror Lake which is really a small pond seems like highway robbery IMO.

This is so wrong. Mirror Lake (because it sounds better than Mirror Detention Basin) retains storm runoff until the rest of the watershed passes downstream. Water in/Water out means nothing compared to water out when. The natural silt build up over time reduces the amount of runoff the lake can hold. This means the lake is dumping more water into the stream during the storm than intended, leading to more flooding and erosion.

The water quality comes from collecting the silt rather than having it choking these stream during a storm. Dredging it out is routine maintenance of the system.

Reaction Score
The improvements look very nice. It takes an area of campus that gets almost no use and makes it a usable park. It also improves the entry to campus from the south. In the long run I think the the 35 million is well spent. What price beauty?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom