OT--UConn considering 25.5 percent tuition increase over four years | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT--UConn considering 25.5 percent tuition increase over four years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good catch - probably closer to 66.
I'm just pissed. I hate the college scam in this country, and having a guy come on here making up numbers to try to say that giving loans out to every wandering 18 year old, thereby encouraging over-competition, thereby driving up prices is not happening is galling.

It's inarguable that college enrollment is way up, yet this guy comes on here and makes crap up in a self-serving effort to try to hide what is as plain as day.

No you are a LIARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

You lied about the 75%.

Reaction Score
lol.

ya know, I originally started posting on the topic because I was saying that the author of the article doesn't know how to calculate % increase. upstater argued with me for a while about it, then eventually said he was agreeing with me she wrote it wrong. hmmm

Uh, I didn't agree with you that she miscalculated. I said she was looking at the rise in students. The 53% number is correct when we're talking about rise in students.

Reaction Score
Good catch - probably closer to 66.
I'm just pissed. I hate the college scam in this country, and having a guy come on here making up numbers to try to say that giving loans out to every wandering 18 year old, thereby encouraging over-competition, thereby driving up prices is not happening is galling.

It's inarguable that college enrollment is way up, yet this guy comes on here and makes crap up in a self-serving effort to try to hide what is as plain as day.

Did I say enrollment isn't up?

You're just making stuff up now. Suggestion: stop being "pissed" and start acting like a grown-up.

Reaction Score
I never said federal guaranteed loans are dischargeable. I said private loans.
Frankly, I was into this conversation when I thought you were being sincere. There are a lot of people who are sincere and believe in unsupportable ideas. I can deal with that.
But it's plain that you're a liar, and you'll say anything to try to prove your point.

You have all this knowledge about college in the U.S., you've added many posts chock full of content to this thread, but you didn't know that enrollment is way up (even by your 2nd pass numbers)? Please. That's an impossible contradiction. It's like a criminal lawyer who can quote half the criminal code from memory trying to say he doesn't know what larceny is.

You have zero credibility now, and any reasonable person reading this thread knows it.

You tried to pull a fast one with the numbers, and I caught you.

I have no interest in discussing the topic with somebody who would so boldly hide plain facts.

The last lie you wrote that I'll read, which is quoted above, is deceitful. You wrote, "By the way, the standard for discharging private debt is lot easier than discharging federal loans."
Really?
Cite the Bankruptcy Code section that has a "standards" test of any sort that differs by debt type.

You have no credibility. Have fun.

Reaction Score
She actually changed her entire article because I called her out on her faulty numbers.

No, you were disputing the % rise.

In reality the increase tuition is since 1996 is 105%.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I was into this conversation when I thought you were being sincere. There are a lot of people who are sincere and believe in unsupportable ideas. I can deal with that.
But it's plain that you're a liar, and you'll say anything to try to prove your point.

You called me a liar for blowing my math, and then you blew your math. I'm a liar, you're a blowhard and a hypocrite.

You have all this knowledge about college in the U.S., you've added many posts chock full of content to this thread, but you didn't know that enrollment is way up (even by your 2nd pass numbers)? Please.

Never said enrollment wasn't up. You're so incensed, apparently, you've forgotten how to read.
That's an impossible contradiction. It's like a criminal lawyer who can quote half the criminal code from memory trying to say he doesn't know what larceny is.

You have zero credibility now, and any reasonable person reading this thread knows it.

Don't know the difference between costs and tuition. There's your fundamental error, and even when it's explained to you in plain terms, you have difficulty comprehending it. or maybe you're smart but insincere.

You tried to pull a fast one with the numbers, and I caught you.

So, I admitted my mistake. But you're the one who tried to pull a fast one with the numbers, and you DIDN'T admit it, because you can't. You're "pissed."

I have no interest in discussing the topic with somebody who would so boldly hide plain facts.

Sorry I didn't catch my bad caluclation, I should've written 75% !!!! ROFL!!!!

The last lie you wrote that I'll read, which is quoted above, is deceitful. You wrote, "By the way, the standard for discharging private debt is lot easier than discharging federal loans."
Really?
Cite the Bankruptcy Code section that has a "standards" test of any sort that differs by debt type.

You have no credibility. Have fun.

I'm not a lawyer, never been in bankruptcy, I pay my loans, all I know is that people say federal student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy court. Maybe I'm wrong, I've only heard from thousands of people that this was the case.

Reaction Score
She actually changed her entire article because I called her out on her faulty numbers.

No, you were disputing the % rise.

In reality the increase tuition is since 1996 is 105%.

Wrong, this is what I wrote to you:
Uh, it says undergraduate enrollment has increased by 53%

Reaction Score
Wrong, this is what I wrote to you:

you love arguing, huh pal?

Since 1995, tuition at UConn has increased by 53 percent to $22,472.

is what she wrote. you kept telling me I was wrong, not my calculation. based on the information she had there 1995's tuition would have been 14,700. I was saying that was wrong, you were saying I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
you love arguing, huh pal?

Since 1995, tuition at UConn has increased by 53 percent to $22,472.

is what she wrote. you kept telling me I was wrong, not my calculation. based on the information she had there 1995's tuition would have been 14,700. I was saying that was wrong, you were saying I'm wrong.

Err, huh? I was saying the figure refers to a 53 percent increase in students. You implied my calculations were off and that in the end I agreed with you.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Herbst proposes a 101% increase over 13 years. Unadjusted for inflation
Inflation from Fall 2001-Fall 2013 estimated at 28%
Per Capita Income (est) 40% rise non adjusted.
CT Median Income from 2001 to 2013 estimated a 26% increase (55K to 69K) unadjusted.
-------------------------------------------------------------

It's not sustainable as a Resident University. As an International Research University that attracts top flight talent and creates jobs in leading research and scientific fields? That 's the new model. The Big Time Academic Arms Fest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UConn fees and tuition in 2001-2002 - $5,874 (No room and board. In-state only. Unadjusted for 28% inflation)

Herbst's proposed 2013-2014 fees and tuition - $11,806 (a 101% increase in 13 years).

Those facts shouldn't be in dispute. They don't tell the whole story but they are what they are

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So you picked up a Galaxy Nexus on launch day? How is it?

Actually, keep your powder dry before buying one.

Both of ours have to go back to the mothership for replacement. The screens have some major issues.

Reaction Score
My math was bad. But I also had different numbers than you, because you excel at inflating things. 20 million? No. Looks like 19 million, and I was at 12.5 million for 1980. So, my numbers come out to 52%. But, as I said, look at Bricks&Mortars and take out for-profits. 3.2 million for profits. 19-2.3=16.7-12.5=4.2 million increase.

As for the last comment, you're in Bernie Fine territory, I don't know what the hell that means.

"I drink YOUR milkshake"

Its Daniel Plainview.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
between 27-35k i think

Proposed Rates for Fall 2013

$11,806 - In-State Tuition and Fees (a 101% increase in 12 years - Fall 2001 - 2013)
$23,280 - In State on Campus (a 92% increase in 12 years)
$42,144 - Out of State on Campus (A 98.5% increase in 12 years)

28% consumer inflation during the same time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom