OT--UConn considering 25.5 percent tuition increase over four years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT--UConn considering 25.5 percent tuition increase over four years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with Prezidint on everything except for teacher salaries. If anything they are too low (ok for grade school and high school teachers they are too low, college they are just right).

Husky99 is also right. College degrees are too easy to get these days. Teachers seem to have to pass students and are graded by their students. Removes any pressure on teachers to be tough and makes them be nice to hope to attract students for next semester. Sites like ratemyprofessor are to blame as well.

I had an English lit teacher in Tunxis that was also the dean or assistant dean and she was the hardest one to please or get an A from. Made me work harder than any other class and still only got a B. That was a well earned B. Had teachers at CCSU that also taught at UConn, that previously taught at Clemson that impressed me. These people deserve to get paid well.

The only issue with school is it's too damn easy. I worked full time and studied full time and had a baby at home since my Junior year. I should have no way to graduate in 4 years. Kids living on campus should be able to graduate in 3 years or less. In many ways high school is tougher than college is these days. Now anyone can get a college degree. Don't have high SATs? Go to Tunxis for 2 years and if you avg 3.2 gpa (laughably easy) in one of the many particular 2 year degrees, UConn has to take you. In state tuition for commuters is within $200 of CCSU (at least it was when I went there). You can easily play the system and get a UConn degree.

Masters in Accounting from UConn? 18K, one week class on campus and the rest is online. How hard can that be?

Reaction Score
The easiest way to get a livable income is a 4 year degree. It's undeniable.

And there are cheap ways to do it. If you can't afford the tuition go to a CC for 2 years and then transfer. Take out loans, grants, etc. Join the military and have them pay for it. You don't need to go to UConn for 4 years to achieve it, if it's too expensive for you.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The only issue with school is it's too damn easy. I worked full time and studied full time and had a baby at home since my Junior year. I should have no way to graduate in 4 years. Kids living on campus should be able to graduate in 3 years or less. In many ways high school is tougher than college is these days. Now anyone can get a college degree. Don't have high SATs? Go to Tunxis for 2 years and if you avg 3.2 gpa (laughably easy) in one of the many particular 2 year degrees, UConn has to take you. In state tuition for commuters is within $200 of CCSU (at least it was when I went there). You can easily play the system and get a UConn degree.

And that's why anyone in the working world will tell you a degree will help you get your first job, but it won't help you get your second.

Reaction Score
The easiest way to get a livable income is a 4 year degree. It's undeniable.

And there are cheap ways to do it. If you can't afford the tuition go to a CC for 2 years and then transfer. Take out loans, grants, etc. Join the military and have them pay for it. You don't need to go to UConn for 4 years to achieve it, if it's too expensive for you.
Agree if it is a marketable and productive major.
Learn a trade at 18 rather than take English 105 and I'm sure with hard work you will attain a livable income.

Reaction Score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/0...readily-available-with-no-skilled-workers-to/

The allure of college is gone. Hard work and brains is needed not Native American Transgender studies or Sports Management.

The US is horrific in science and math compared to the rest of the world. Manufacturing is in dire need of skilled workers but people would rather Occupy something and complain.
1.5 to 2 years and I am done...insane

and they make it hard for kids to get it done in 4 years due to core requirements, class availability, etc...

yet, still a bargain compared to private institutions. See SNHU at almost 40K a year.

the numbers are BS in the article. 53% increase since 1995????
My freshmen year 1996, tution all in (room and board, 21 meal plan, etc) $10,600. That's a 112% increase in 15 years.

Reaction Score
Agree if it is a marketable and productive major.
Learn a trade at 18 rather than take English 105 and I'm sure with hard work you will attain a livable income.

I've met plenty of people at good jobs with undergrad degrees in things like art history or English. The undergrad degree isn't that important as long as you pick up some marketable skills while you're there. The fact is having a degree greatly increases your career earnings potential over someone without one.

Reaction Score
My freshmen year 1996, tution all in (room and board, 21 meal plan, etc) $10,600. That's a 112% increase in 15 years.

Uh, it says undergraduate enrollment has increased by 53%

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Inflation!

Reaction Score

zls44

Reaction Score
The allure of college is gone. Hard work and brains is needed not Native American Transgender studies or Sports Management..

The assumption being made, that everyone with a science degree is brilliant & everyone with a sports management degree is stupid, is ridiculous.

By the way, UConn has the best Kiniseology department in the country. Where do you think Sports Management comes from? You want to get rid of one of the best departments the school has?

Typical of the crowd that also loves to scream "CUT MOAR SPENDING!!!!!!!111111111ONE" on the assumption that money is being wasted without actually looking.

The "allure of college" has largely been fueled by the increasing national focus on college sports. It's all over TV. The campuses, the co-eds, the parties at the games, etc. The 90s economic boom helped, parents had the money to send their kids to school. Everyone started going to college. The bottom fell out and you had the next generation of kids standing there looking at their older brothers/sisters who went to State U, why the heck should they go to Western Tech to be an electrician?

zls44

Reaction Score
hahahhaa....inflation has risen 112% since 1995, not quite

Poorly explained sarcasm on my part. This isn't bread lines in Moscow.

Reaction Score
wrong

Since 1995, tuition at UConn has increased by 53 percent to $22,472. At the same time, the number of faculty has increased just 16 percent. There are now 18 students for every faculty member at UConn. Herbst has said she wants the ratio reduced to 15-to-1.

I'm not wrong. You want proof? Tuition at UConn is not $22,472. 22,472 is the number of students.

Reaction Score
The assumption being made, that everyone with a science degree is brilliant & everyone with a sports management degree is stupid, is ridiculous.

By the way, UConn has the best Kiniseology department in the country. Where do you think Sports Management comes from? You want to get rid of one of the best departments the school has?

Typical of the crowd that also loves to scream "CUT MOAR SPENDING!!!!!!!111111111ONE" on the assumption that money is being wasted without actually looking.

The "allure of college" has largely been fueled by the increasing national focus on college sports. It's all over TV. The campuses, the co-eds, the parties at the games, etc. The 90s economic boom helped, parents had the money to send their kids to school. Everyone started going to college. The bottom fell out and you had the next generation of kids standing there looking at their older brothers/sisters who went to State U, why the heck should they go to Western Tech to be an electrician?

Err, I don't think it has to do with sports. I saw yesterday Pernetti was touting rising apps and scores to sports. meanwhile, schools with no sports are experiencing 20% increase in apps and scores.

There are three (or maybe four) things happening.

1. Electronic applications, common apps. More applications per student. I applied to four schools back in 1986. Today I'd apply to 12.
2. Demographics. The population is expanding, and yet our campuses haven't kept pace with expansion. UConn is up 53% in students in one decade? That's a lot.
3. With the rise of private tuition and the elimination of need-blind policies, public schools are attracting better students than ever before.
4. [Don't know if this is a factor or not] The SAT may be scored differently than it used to be with test changes.

Reaction Score
Poorly explained sarcasm on my part. This isn't bread lines in Moscow.

ha....I hear ya.

I think it's a national issue that needs to be addressed.

I've read a lot of articles that blame the student loan market and how it's feeding the beast.
Any bank bank will loan some 18 kid 45k to attend whatever school and study Art History because he doesn't care about her failure to repay because the loans aren't dischargable in bankruptcy.
Change bankruptcy law and prices will come down.

Reaction Score
You really are out of touch with the reality of what even the best students go through these days.

My kids are among the top students - I know exactly what they go through. My first two, recently, graduated and are on track to graduate in 3 years.
Are you referring to just UConn's professor's pay, or all professor's pay? Because surely UConn would lose a lot of top professors. Did you read the part about research grants? If you lose the professors, you lose the research grants.

All pay. Professors are overpaid. What is a "top" professor? When I was a grad student at UConn, I worked for a prof that was big news because he had a cover of a major science mag. His first assignment was Genetics 101, or whatever the intro number was (can't recall). I was excited. I said, "wow, you got genetics 101." I thought it would be a great way to introduce students to our science. Guy looks at me dead pan and says, "well, it's part of the job, so I have no choice." He viewed the teaching portion of his job as a pain in the ass, and he sucked at it. That is what you get at a "research" University. Screw the grant skim. Hire better teachers, not folks who have great CVs for . . . looking down a microscope and writing 50 page grant applications. I personally knew 2 dozen professors. Only a couple considered teaching to be anything more than an annoyance.

? Such as, the business school?
Start with this one - "Urban and Community Studies." Finish by getting rid of the entire school of education. To be a good teacher, you don't need to study how to be a good teacher for 4 (five!!!) years. You need to know the material and have the skills to communicate them. Most people who are good teachers were born that way. The concept that you need a 4 year (five!!!) degree to teach 5th grade is monstrously funny.
Private schools are now out of reach. You need more space at a place like UConn. Already, UConn is turning away a lot of talented kids. When did you graduate? Chances are, the kids going to UConn today are better students than when you were there.
No doubt SATs are up and the students are more qualified in terms of grades. So what? I say it again - 1/2 or more of the kids at UConn don't need a college degree, won't get much out of it, will have the debt ride them for much of their lives, and would be better off not being there.​
It's a delicate balance.
I disagree. That's an artificial characterization. It's easy. UConn is for CT students. We don't need students from China. Most Chinese students are there filing TA/Grad rolls. If we can't find CT kids to fill those rolls, then shrink the programs.

It's federal law that women's scholarships have to match men's scholarships. So, what you're really saying is, get rid of men's soccer and such? You have to wonder if UConn could eventually join the ACC or any other conference with that policy.
In the end, UConn is about education, not sports. This nation is sports-obsessed. Do you want a school or don't you? You want to play sports, play intramural sports. They're great. If Basketball or Football can make money, keep them. If the awful Federal Law that presumes that men and women like sports equivalently can't be repealed, and no women sports can make money, then have air hockey, tiddly winks, and whatever is the cheapest thing possible. Why should I pay so grown women can run around a field in silly outfits whacking at a ball. It's frankly ridiculous.

Like what? Can you name them?
Sure. Post the budget, with detail, and I'll be happy to provide that service for free.
Part-timers don't qualify for Stafford loans. So, you can't do the part-time thing and get loans. Scholarships are used to attract the best students.
This is a commonly held myth. Scholarships don't help the best students. My kids are some of the best students. They got nothing (not quite true - both got offers of full rides at Alabama and Ok. based on their PSATs). Scholarships are used to target specific races and socioeconomic strata, not the best kids.

Not miscellaneous studies at all. At the very least, a lot more in depth than any of the guesswork you have offered.
There's no guesswork. It's a govt. institution. As such, inefficiencies are everywhere.

It's not. If you're part of a degree program with a requirement offered once every 2 years with a cap on the class, how do you graduate on time?
Get rid of the major. If they can't offer a required course more often or give preference to the upper class, then sh-tcan it. Threaten that. Watch how quickly the department "finds" a way to get everybody in the class.
You are out of your depth on this. You don't know what it's like these days.
Penn State. Right now. My son is on track to graduate in 3 years. What don't you understand?

Great for your kids. Where did they go to school, what did they study?
Chem E and Bio E. Not the slough majors like "Women's Studies"​
You really are out of touch with the reality of what even the best students go through these days.
You're part of the system. It's clear from your well-practiced, yet spurious reasoning. You go as the system goes. So you'll defend the system as is and argue for expansion and ever more funding.

The great college bubble at the end of the 1900s was funded by debt. It is collapsing, just like many sectors of the economy, because the debt bubble is collapsing. U.S. treasury debt got downgraded for the first time in history in July of this year. Anybody paying attention should understand that we are in a period of great contraction. UConn would do well to be clear that it's not time to get bigger.

Reaction Score
I'm not wrong. You want proof? Tuition at UConn is not $22,472. 22,472 is the number of students.

i wrote the writer of the article, I'm not here to argue with you. this is what she said

instate tuition and fees alone in FY 12 are $10,670 according to UConn...its $22,472 with room and board

Reaction Score
hahahhaa....inflation has risen 112% since 1995, not quite

Tuition though is not a measure of costs. It's just the amount that is charged to students. Actual cost per student is double or triple the tuition. So, there's no real corrollary between inflation and the rise in tuition. The relationship is arbitrary since education is largely subsidized by other sources (research, endowment, taxes, etc.)

Reaction Score
i wrote the writer of the article, I'm not here to argue with you. this is what she said

instate tuition and fees alone in FY 12 are $10,670 according to UConn...its $22,472 with room and board

I'm not arguing here either.

Read this: http://admissions.uconn.edu/tuition/index.php

Tuition, fees, plus room and board are: $21,720

Then read this: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...nt-tuition-increase-2399595.php#ixzz1gczIoudv

This is the article linked to this thread. This is why I responded that you misread it, because in this article, you'll find this:

In the past decade, tuition has nearly doubled at UConn, increasing from $4,158 to $8,064 for in-state students. Fees and room costs have also nearly doubled.
Since 1995, undergraduate enrollment at UConn has increased by 53 percent to 22,472. At the same time, the number of faculty has increased just 16 percent. There are now 18 students for every faculty member at UConn. Herbst has said she wants the ratio reduced to 15-to-1.

22,472 is undergrad enrollment for 2011-2012.

Reaction Score
ha....I hear ya.

I think it's a national issue that needs to be addressed.

I've read a lot of articles that blame the student loan market and how it's feeding the beast.
Any bank bank will loan some 18 kid 45k to attend whatever school and study Art History because he doesn't care about her failure to repay because the loans aren't dischargable in bankruptcy.
Change bankruptcy law and prices will come down.

It's just not the case.
The average student loan debt is $5k a year. Relative to inflation, student loan debt has not risen a great deal in 25 years. The cap was at $3k in the 80s for subbed loans and is at $5.5k now. Private loans are but a small sliver of the market, the vast majority are still subbed.
The total amount of loans HAS increased almost exponentially over the last 10 to 15 years however because you have more students than ever before taking loans to places that didn't exist a decade ago. Places like for-profit schools which are a huge chunk of the market. More students taking loans at more and different schools = big aggregate amount. But the average is the same at the old schools if you index for inflation.
I can send you links to studies that have investigated this.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hitting on a couple of points made throughout this thread.

4 year degree and above is absolutely statistically the best way to stay employed in this country provided it's a valid degree and there's a market for employment after graduation. I don't envy high school guidance counselors, admission officers and academic advisors when it comes to selling a kid on a particular degree to a particular school. It's not easy explaining to a 17 year student why it's in their best interest to absorb a ton of debt to set themself up for life over the next 50 years.

But, some people aren't meant to go to college but still have plenty of skills and knowledge that can be put to use. Military is a great option now. If a kid can qualify, they'll have up to 3 years of college paid for after four years of service. They'll be earning a paycheck, have their health care paid for and have four weeks paid vacation a year right off the bat. Not too many 18 years old can do better than that.

Trade schools should be an option. Being a qualified/certified electrician, plumber or other skilled laborer won't make you enough money to own a beachfront condo, but you can live a decent life off $25-$40 an hour.

I have a 10 year old and an 8 year old and I'm going to be very particular where they look for college. Thanks to the expanded Montgomery GI Bill I can transfer my benefits to them so 3 of the 8 years of college are accounted for. I'm real willing to trade off the "college experience" of their freshman/sophomore year and have them get core classes out of the way at a 2-year school. Once they know for sure what they want to do and have a better grasp of the job market for their career, I'll open up the checkbook for whatever school. It's going to be tough to convince me that MIT's freshman english class is what makes the degree so valuable.

I'm real curious to see how the ivies and a few of the other schools that are all but doing away with tuition will survive. Their endowments have gotten so large that their living off of the interest. I'm looking to see if they can maintain a strong fiscal discipline or if they get like pig at the trough.

And I agree that the degree gets you your first job, but not the second. Crazy numbers as far as how many adults age 35 are in career fields not related to their degree. I'm convinced that anyone over the age of 30 who is above average in the three R's and is motivated can be trained to do almost any job.

Bottom line. College isn't much like it was for anyone who graduated before 1990. It's become more of a business, money is everything, degrees are more abundant and less stringent, campus life is entirely different and the job market upon graduation can be a real kick in the nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom