UConn conference doomsday scenario | The Boneyard

UConn conference doomsday scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming Pitt & Syr go ...

(1) The SEC picks off WVU
(2) Remaining 6 FB schools panic and start to jump at any offer.
(3) The Big XII holds itself together this year, and adds 1-3 teams (incl Lou).
(4) TCU returns to the MTN West, which now is a much stronger football conference
(5) Left with 2-4 FB schools, the BB schools have no desire to add more basketball deadweight, and thus refuse expansion.

I'm not saying these are all high-probability scenarios, but they do indicate a worst-possible case.

The remaining FB schools remaining options then would be:
- find 3-4 FB-only members (Temple? UMass?)
- try to form a new conference (which would suck in BB)
- join C-USA
- try to join MAC in FB only
- go independent in FB

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If the 'standard size' of BCS conferences goes to 14, we are stuck in a Big East and Big 12 leftover conference.

If the 'standard size' of conferences goes to 16, we end up either in the ACC or Big Ten.

It is that simple.

Reaction Score
If the 'standard size' of BCS conferences goes to 14, we are stuck in a Big East and Big 12 leftover conference.

If the 'standard size' of conferences goes to 16, we end up either in the ACC or Big Ten.

It is that simple.

I don't think that the leftover conference is even remotely assured if they go to 14 team conferences. Travel is just too extreme to be a lousy conference anyway.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It is that simple.

Well that's a wet blanket but true.

I'd rather get into a 16 team Big10 with Snooki

Uconn
Snooki
PSU
Indiana
Purdue
OSU
Michigan
MSU

Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri
Kansas

I think the standard size becomes 16 because four conferences of 14 teams is only 56 teams and that's way short of 50% of the D-1 schools and that means Congress gets involved.

Reaction Score
UConn's got to do what's best for them. Ideally, it's staying in a major conference. But if for some whacked in the head scenario that doesn't happen, UConn has to do what's best for its basketball teams. Yes, the money is in football - but not if you're not in a major conference. At that point, basketball runs the show. Do what you can do best for the football team until some better option appears.

Worse case scenario is having UConn lose its identity as a major athletic program because of football schools' greed.

Reaction Score
I don't think that the leftover conference is even remotely assured if they go to 14 team conferences. Travel is just too extreme to be a lousy conference anyway.

Travel is not as bad as you make it. Look at MWC. Travel in that conference is worse than what's proposed and they have been at it for awhile.

Reaction Score
UConn's got to do what's best for them. Ideally, it's staying in a major conference. But if for some whacked in the head scenario that doesn't happen, UConn has to do what's best for its basketball teams. Yes, the money is in football - but not if you're not in a major conference. At that point, basketball runs the show. Do what you can do best for the football team until some better option appears.

Worse case scenario is having UConn lose its identity as a major athletic program because of football schools' greed.

I disagree with this. I think you go with good basketball schools like Louisville, Cincy, WV, Kansas. Youre better off with them than staying with STJ or Gtown.

Reaction Score
We aren't getting a B10 invite with a 40,000 seat stadium.

Been saying that for about 8 years now. Major college football is going big - big stadiums, big alignments, big TV deals. The Rent is too tiny.

Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the Big Leftover Conference:

East

uconn
WV
cincy
rutgers
east carolina
temple
south florida
central florida

West

louisville
iowa state
kansas
kansas state
tcu
baylor
texas tech
Houston

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Worst Case - the ACC takes Lousville and Rutgers as 15/16. The SEC takes WVU and Kansas with TAMU and Missouri.

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Baylor
TCU
Houston
SMU
Iowa State
Kansas State
Boise State
ECU

Georgetown, Nova, Marquette, Saint John's, ND, Seton Hall , PC and Depaul hook up with Xavier, St Joe's, Dayton, and Duquesne in a Catholic League and get a better basketball contract than the Big remainders

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the Big Leftover Conference:

East

uconn
WV
cincy
rutgers
east carolina
temple
south florida
central florida

West

louisville
iowa state
kansas
kansas state
tcu
baylor
texas tech
Houston

It would work and, while it would be the fifth of five BCS conferences, it would bring the number of BCS teams to 80 which prevents any Congressional involvement.
And, if there is a move to four 16 team conferences locking the rest of the colleges out of any chance of a championship in a presidential election year, well, you are wrong.
Conference affiliation and the possibility of winning is an emotional subject for fans and there are more fans that vote than there are university presidents, regents and AD's.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. I think you go with good basketball schools like Louisville, Cincy, WV, Kansas. Youre better off with them than staying with STJ or Gtown.

Isn't that basically what I meant? Go with the good basketball teams if you can. If not - do what's best for the basketball teams first. It's our identity now. If we go all in on football, we risk the chance of losing any relevance in college athletics.

Reaction Score
Assuming Pitt & Syr go ...

(1) The SEC picks off WVU
(2) Remaining 6 FB schools panic and start to jump at any offer.
(3) The Big XII holds itself together this year, and adds 1-3 teams (incl Lou).
(4) TCU returns to the MTN West, which now is a much stronger football conference
(5) Left with 2-4 FB schools, the BB schools have no desire to add more basketball deadweight, and thus refuse expansion.

I'm not saying these are all high-probability scenarios, but they do indicate a worst-possible case.

The remaining FB schools remaining options then would be:
- find 3-4 FB-only members (Temple? UMass?)
- try to form a new conference (which would suck in BB)
- join C-USA
- try to join MAC in FB only
- go independent in FB

Unfortunately, this coming closer to fruition. At least WV still with us.
Big XII (or 8) will likely try to pick off Lou and/or TCU.
If they don't, then we're looking for 1-2 members -- UCF? Houston?

Reaction Score
I would think the basketball only schools would have serious issues with adding schools for all sports which they could be stuck with if the likes of UConn and Rutgers leave in the future. That might lead them to push for football only additions - meaning the service academies and maybe a football insane school like ECU that could careless about its other programs.

In the BE press release there was mention of 'academic fit' so that makes me think perhaps the service academies. None of the other candidate schools is a top 100 university.

Frankly, I'm kind of hoping Big East implodes with WVU and UL going to the Big 12 and us becoming Independent in football until the ACC ultimately decides to go to 16 and comes to our rescue. We'll have 2 years with SU and Pitt and any other defectors anyway and I believe this will all be sorted in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom