UConn commit Tyler Davis runs for 4 TDs, passes for another in big win yesterday | The Boneyard

UConn commit Tyler Davis runs for 4 TDs, passes for another in big win yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Davis is such an important piece to the 2015 class. I REALLY hope that this dismal season doesn't lose any recruits.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Davis is such an important piece to the 2015 class. I REALLY hope that this dismal season doesn't lose any recruits.

If anything, I would hope it would further solidify their commitment with the mentality they could be a part of our saving grace.

Reaction Score
Immediate playing time. That's our best recruiting pitch.

Why would you do that with Boyle already on the roster. Boyle will be a JR with knowledge of the playbook, talented thrower, etc. Davis doesn't appear to throw it around too much with what would appear to be some success. I know this is not just specific to Davis and the QB position. But even then, until these incoming can prove to better and perform with better results over the incumbent starters, no reason to get them onto the field.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Why would you do that with Boyle already on the roster. Boyle will be a JR with knowledge of the playbook, talented thrower, etc. Davis doesn't appear to throw it around too much with what would appear to be some success. I know this is not just specific to Davis and the QB position. But even then, until these incoming can prove to better and perform with better results over the incumbent starters, no reason to get them onto the field.

I'm not worried about the depth chart right now. I'm worried about recruiting. My preference is to redshirt Davis next year but can you honestly guarantee to me (or anyone) that our preferred 2015 depth chart is solid and carved in stone? Look at this season's QB depth chart, for example.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the depth chart right now. I'm worried about recruiting. My preference is to redshirt Davis next year but can you honestly guarantee to me (or anyone) that our preferred 2015 depth chart is solid and carved in stone? Look at this season's QB depth chart, for example.

I agree. But I also think you see more roster turnover in year 1 with a new coach than you would see in year 2 after a coaching change. Majority of this roster will remain intact. Remember the change that was made and the changes that followed, how many starters were lost as well as more depth that was lost at some positions. Certainly not set in stone, but I think you can count on majority of this roster being one year older and still Uconn Huskies compared to this past off-season.

Without having numbers in front of me, I can't imagine there are too many programs in the country that have impact true freshmen coming in and playing right away. If there are, there aren't many and they're more than likely highly recruited and highly rated, not exactly the kind of guys you see Uconn pulling in year after year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree. But I also think you see more roster turnover in year 1 with a new coach than you would see in year 2 after a coaching change. Majority of this roster will remain intact. Remember the change that was made and the changes that followed, how many starters were lost as well as more depth that was lost at some positions. Certainly not set in stone, but I think you can count on majority of this roster being one year older and still Uconn Huskies compared to this past off-season.

Without having numbers in front of me, I can't imagine there are too many programs in the country that have impact true freshmen coming in and playing right away. If there are, there aren't many and they're more than likely highly recruited and highly rated, not exactly the kind of guys you see Uconn pulling in year after year.

Agree. My hope is to have Boyle and Shireffs as 1 and 2 on the depth chart and that they stay healthy all year so we can redshirt Davis. If one gets injured, that would obviously shift up our 3rd QB to #2. Maybe they go the 5th year route or JUCO or recruit another FR QB? Or maybe they find a walk on that they feel comfortable with as #3.

Davis has some serious tools. Reminds me of a raw Kaepernick at Nevada with his size and athleticism. Obviously, he has a LOT of work to do to get to that level. But the body frame, size and athleticism he shows on film are more all along those lines than anyone we've ever had at QB.

Reaction Score
Agree. My hope is to have Boyle and Shireffs as 1 and 2 on the depth chart and that they stay healthy all year so we can redshirt Davis. If one gets injured, that would obviously shift up our 3rd QB to #2. Maybe they go the 5th year route or JUCO or recruit another FR QB? Or maybe they find a walk on that they feel comfortable with as #3.

Davis has some serious tools. Reminds me of a raw Kaepernick at Nevada with his size and athleticism. Obviously, he has a LOT of work to do to get to that level. But the body frame, size and athleticism he shows on film are more all along those lines than anyone we've ever had at QB.

I agree with Boyle and Shirreffs. What I see between the two is what it sounded like Diaco was describing in the difference between CC and CW. Shirreffs is very mobile, but can throw as well. Opens up the playbook a bit and adds the dual threat to the offense. I am actually looking forward to the QB position next year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree with Boyle and Shirreffs. What I see between the two is what it sounded like Diaco was describing in the difference between CC and CW. Shirreffs is very mobile, but can throw as well. Opens up the playbook a bit and adds the dual threat to the offense. I am actually looking forward to the QB position next year.

Yeah me too. Hopefully our OL will be vastly improved and we can develop a go-to WR like Davis to take advantage of our QB skill sets next season.

Reaction Score
Yeah me too. Hopefully our OL will be vastly improved and we can develop a go-to WR like Davis to take advantage of our QB skill sets next season.
One can only hope so. One more year older. One more off-season of S/T work mixed with nutrition. Not to mention unit cohesion practice time/playing time etc. I absolutely look for things to be improved up front.

Reaction Score
The thing about giving all the young guys pt this year is the ability to redshirt some of these guys next season. Davis will be a prime candidate for a RS next year, especially if Boyle and Sheriffs can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Wonder if a running quarterback would be a good or bad thing with this line

Reaction Score
It's possible that Diaco and Cummings would rather run a spread. If so, don't be surprised to see Shirreffs start and Davis next, provided Davis is good enough. Anyone know if Davis intends to enroll in January?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The future - I truly believe this staff wants mobility at the QB position - not a passer.
Shireffs and Davis are the future at QB of Diacos upcoming teams.

Reaction Score
Wonder if a running quarterback would be a good or bad thing with this line

I would say a good thing. I haven't looked at an video on Davis, but generally a mobile quarterback can move and extend plays so that the receivers can get open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom