Uconn-Centric Realignment Timeline Thread (Please Contribute) | The Boneyard

Uconn-Centric Realignment Timeline Thread (Please Contribute)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think it would be a cool time passer if we crowd sourced the significant events and when they occurred as it relates to realignment and UConn so we could get a look at the arch of what's been happening. What I'd really like to get a feel for are the major University initiatives (STEM, Campus Planning). Key quotes from Ward, Susan, Coaches, legislators. TV deals. School changes and announcements. Lawsuit info. I'd just like to see it all in sequence and let that tell a story. With respect to all the Women's NC, I'm not going to include them all below, so here's a nod (1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014)

Should be easy enough for us to dig up what we collectively deem significant. Keep it brief and in the same format and I'll copy paste it into the first message here.

Color Key: School changes conference, TV/GOR, UConn stuff, Legal, Other.

??, 1999: UConn Football begins upgrade to 1A, Applies for membership to Big East Conference.

November, 2000: Uconn begins $91 million investment in Rentschler Field.

June, 2003: Miami and Virginia Tech announce they will leave the Big East for the ACC

June, 2003: UConn AD Lew Perkins leaves for Kansas. Replaced by Jeff Hathaway.

August, 2003: Rentschler is completed.

October, 2003: Boston college Announces they will leave the Big East for the ACC

October 13, 2003:
A.G. Blumenthal leads UConn, Rutgers, Pitt and WVU in Lawsuit against Boston College, singles out BC AD Gene DeFilippo and ACC Commissioner John Swofford.

March, 2004: Uconn Men's and Women's basketball teams are dual champions

Fall? 2004: Miami and Virginia Tech join the ACC

Fall 2004: Construction begins on the Burton Family Football Center

Summer, 2005: Boston College finalizes its move to the ACC and the Big East adds Louisville, South Florida and Cincinnati from Conference USA.

Summer, 2006: Burton Football Center Completed

September, 2007: BTN airs first football game ( Appalachian State beats Michigan)

July, 2009: Ed O'Bannon leads suit vs. NCAA on the use of former Athlete's images for commercial purposes.

Dec. 15, 2009: Big Ten announces plans for "evaluation of options for conference structure and expansion."

Feb. 9, 2010: Larry Scott announces Pac-10 will consider expansion.

June 10, 2010: Colorado officially leaves for Pac-10.

June 11, 2010: Nebraska joins the Big Ten.

June 14, 2010: Texas turns down Pac-10, Big 12 survives.

June 16, 2010: Utah's addition forms the Pac-12

Nov. 29, 2010: TCU joins the Big East.

December 5th, 2010: UConn Football Accepts invitation to Fiesta Bowl, Cracks AP top 25 for first time.

December 20th, 2010: Susan Herbst named UConn's 15th President.

January 3rd, 2011: UConn Football HC Randy Edsall sneaks out the back door to Maryland.

January 13th, 2011: Paul Pasqualoni Hired as UConn Football HC.

January 19th 2011: UT, ESPN announce 20 year $300 million deal for LHN.

March, 2011: Uconn Men win NC number 3.

April 2011: Big East presidents turn down $1.4 billion TV contract.

August 20th, 2011: UConn AD Jeff Hathaway announces resignation.

August 31, 2011: Texas A&M tells Big 12 it's leaving.

Sept. 16, 2011: Pitt and Syracuse flee in the night for the ACC

Sept. 21, 2011: The Pac-12 says no to the Big 12 this time

Sept. 25, 2011: A&M to the SEC becomes official

Sept, 2011: UNC announces first inquiry into African American Studies Program

Oct. 6, 2011: Big 12 votes in TCU, approves grant of rights

Oct. 9th, 2011: “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’ - Gene Defilippo

Oct 11, 2011 - “It makes sense to expand into ESPN’s back yard.” ACC
Commissioner John Swofford on adding two teams in the northeast.

Oct. 27, 2011: Missouri to the SEC becomes unofficially official

Oct. 28, 2011: West Virginia joins the Big 12, too

Dec. 7, 2011: Big East invites Boise State, San Diego State, Houston, UCF, and SMU

February 12th, 2012: Warde Manuel named UConn AD

April 5, 2012 - UCONN is banned from Postseason play for the 2013 season because of APR scores.

June 6th, 2012: Uconn announces 4 year plan to hire 275 new faculty members while many peer universities are downsizing.

June 21st, 2012: Uconn Hockey announces it will join Hockey East in 2014

June 27th, 2012: College Football Playoff announced

August 15th, 2012: PAC 12 Network Launches

Sept. 12, 2012: Notre Dame joins the ACC in partial football agreement, all other sports.

Sept 13, 2012: Jim Calhoun Announces Retirement, Ollie signs 1 year deal worth $650,000

October 16, 2012: UConn announces it will break ground in spring on "Champions Center", dual basketball practice facility

November 19, 2012: The Big Ten adds Maryland, Rutgers.

November 27, 2012: ACC files suit against UMD

November 28, 2012: Louisville joins ACC

November 28th, 2012: “I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans, but we need to focus on the fundamentals of academic success across the university and in our athletic program as well. We are winners — we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents. We will be athletically successful, regardless of our conference, because of our successes in NCAA competition. We will keep building our winning record through the lens of a great university, that focuses on academics, not on the fluid and unpredictable nature of conference realignment. Again, I realize this is a difficult day, but when we focus on research, discovery, and student success, we’ll never go wrong.” -
Susan Herbst

“I’m happy we’re breathing. I’m happy we’re in the league we’re in, and we have the games we’ve got. Wherever we are, we’re going to be trying to win games, win league championships.
I will leave it up to Warde Manuel and our great president [Susan Herbst], I have faith in them to do the right thing for this university, and I love this university.”

Kevin Ollie

December 5, 2012 "If another conference wants to talk to us, we'll talk to them"- UConn AD Warde Manuel

December 30th, 2012: Kevin Ollie gets 5 year extension worth $7 million

December 31, 2012: Boise State tells the Big East they'll pass

January 25, 2013:“There has been ongoing discussion [on expansion for the Big 10]" "[I believe] there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.” “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities [with] like-minded academic integrity.”
- Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee

February 13, 2013: “I don’t think, in a year, we’re going to be where we are right now. I think a lot depends on Maryland and its lawsuit.” - Jim Calhoun

March 2nd, 2013: "We are very cohesive, and it's wonderful working with strong presidents from such fine research institutions" "Everyone will need to show some patience, but it is clear that we are a great fit to this new league, one that will be ambitious in some novel ways. We will be a powerful conference and one to be proud of; lots of great competition ahead. Do please hold tight, have patience, and give Warde [Manuel], our coaches, and our students your full support. This is the best way fans help and enjoy." - Susan Herbst

March 10th, 2013: Big East, Catholic 7 announce split.

March 11, 2013: “We feel settled in the new league, we’re moving forward, but if at some time someone wants to reach out to us, we’ll have that conversation,”
-Warde Manuel

March 11, 2013: "I stopped guessing a long time ago why people make decisions about you, we are what we are, a top public research university with a commitment to great athletic programs across the board.”

“Honestly, it’s been a challenge for some of our fan base.” "listen to what the Huskies’ coaches in basketball and football, along with the athletic director, Warde Manuel, have to say about the new conference."
Susan Herbst

April 22, 2013: ACC's members agree to grant of rights.

May 2nd, 2013: ESPN/SEC Announce SEC Network, 20 year agreement.

June 5th, 2013: UConn announces 1.5 Billion investment in STEM Research Program.

June 30th, 2013: Catholic 7 Becomes New Big East, AAC formed.

September 30th, 2013: Paul Pasqualoni fired as UConn football coach. TJ Weist named interim HC.

October 18th, 2013: "When someone asks you what League your team is in, tell 'em, We're UConn, We're in a league of our own God Damnit!"-Geno Auriemma, First Night

December 26, 2013: UConn announces 2 million investment on master campus plan.

January 14, 2014: UMD files counter-suit against ACC

January 28th, 2014: Northwestern Petitions for Student Athlete Union in Chicago

March, 2014: Uconn Men & Women's Basketball teams repeat as Dual Champions

March 28th, 2014: "I've told my colleagues across the country that UConn and New York go together. We have a strong fan base and it's one of the strongest fan bases in the country when UConn comes to New York. With the way our fans soaked up our 1,250 tickets and the demand that's out there by our fans it shows a lot about the passion for UConn." - Warde Manuel

April 25th, 2014: Northwestern Football players conduct secret ballot vote for unionization, results unknown.

April 28th, 2014: Warde Manuel Announces intentions to expand the Rent by 10,000 seats in next 10 years but qualifies plan saying Demand must justify: "Such a major infrastructure investment to expand the facility's seating by 25 percent would have to be driven by ticket demand, which only will come if the team is performing at a top level, Manuel said."

May 19th, 2014: BTN Reaches Agreement with Time Warner Cable

May 20th, 2014: Congress send letter to NCAA inquiring about practices associated with ensuring member institutions provide "Rigorous Academic opportunities and instruction to student athletes."

May 21st, 2014: The State Employees Association of North Carolina invites Student Athletes to join union.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The most interesting thing for me would've been if the big east had accepted espn's initial offer what would've happened.

The other leagues no matter what would've offered more money and football prestige so maybe they still would've bolted but maybe they don't flee for the ACC and only Rutgers goes BIG? who knows

Reaction Score
Oct 11, 2011 -
Of adding two teams in the northeast, Swofford said, “It makes sense to expand into ESPN’s back yard.”

December 5, 2012
Brett McMurphy‏@McMurphyESPN
UConn AD Warde Manuel: "If another conference wants to talk to us, we'll talk to them"

January 25, 2013
Gee told Athletic Council Big Ten expansion talks "ongoing"
Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee told the school’s Athletic Council in December that discussions about further expansion for the Big Ten conference are “ongoing.”

In November, the league announced the addition of Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference and Rutgers from the Big East. Nebraska joined the Big Ten for the 2011-12 school year after leaving the Big 12.

It doesn’t appear that the Big Ten is necessarily content to stay at 14 members. According to the minutes of the Dec. 5 Athletic Council meeting obtained by the Dispatch, Gee said “there has been ongoing discussion” about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”

When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

He did not specify any potential targets but said they will make sure any new school has “like-minded academic integrity.”

Reaction Score
March 2, 2013

But after the meeting Friday, Susan Herbst, UConn's president, expressed optimism and spoke glowingly of the new conference.

"We are very cohesive, and it's wonderful working with strong presidents from such fine research institutions," Herbst said in an email. "Everyone will need to show some patience, but it is clear that we are a great fit to this new league, one that will be ambitious in some novel ways. We will be a powerful conference and one to be proud of; lots of great competition ahead. Do please hold tight, have patience, and give Warde [Manuel], our coaches, and our students your full support. This is the best way fans help and enjoy."

Reaction Score
March 11, 2013
While Connecticut officials praise the academic reputation of a Tulane and the athletic pedigree of a Memphis, Manuel admitted that while the dust seems to have settled for now, who knows when a wind gust will again rearrange the landscape.

“We feel settled in the new league, we’re moving forward, but if at some time someone wants to reach out to us, we’ll have that conversation,” he said.

I stopped guessing a long time ago why people make decisions about you,” said Susan Herbst, who has been Connecticut’s president since June 2011. “We are what we are, a top public research university with a commitment to great athletic programs across the board.”

She conceded that Connecticut’s new reality has created consternation on campus and in alumni circles.

“Honestly, it’s been a challenge for some of our fan base,” Dr. Herbst said in a telephone interview, adding that they worry the university will suffer in status and recruiting when the newly aligned conference moves forward with Cincinnati and South Florida, while adding such schools as East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Southern Methodist, Central Florida, Temple and Tulane. Her standard response to the team’s supporters, Dr. Herbst said, is to suggest they listen to what the Huskies’ coaches in basketball and football, along with the athletic director, Warde Manuel, have to say about the new conference.

Reaction Score
March 28, 2014

"I've told my colleagues across the country that UConn and New York go together," UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said. "We have a strong fan base and it's one of the strongest fan bases in the country when UConn comes to New York. With the way our fans soaked up our 1,250 tickets and the demand that's out there by our fans it shows a lot about the passion for UConn."

Reaction Score
March 28, 2014

"I've told my colleagues across the country that UConn and New York go together," UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said. "We have a strong fan base and it's one of the strongest fan bases in the country when UConn comes to New York. With the way our fans soaked up our 1,250 tickets and the demand that's out there by our fans it shows a lot about the passion for UConn."
The irony of our take over New York was it would have just as easily been a take over of Boston. No other team without USA on their Jersey could make that claim.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
April 5, 2012 - UCONN is banned from Postseason play for the 2013 season because of APR scores.

Reaction Score
APRIL 28, 2014

To drive more revenue, UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel wants to add another 10,000 seats to Rentschler Field — home of the university's football team — sometime in the next 10 years, generating an additional $2 million in ticket revenue.

"Such a major infrastructure investment to expand the facility's seating by 25 percent would have to be driven by ticket demand, which only will come if the team is performing at a top level, Manuel said."

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20140428/PRINTEDITION/304249936/1002

Reaction Score
Realize this isn't necessarily UConn centric, but this development was certainly noteworthy.

UT To Unveil 20-Year, $300M Deal With ESPN For Longhorn Network
Published January 19, 2011

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Realize this isn't necessarily UConn centric, but this development was certainly noteworthy.

UT To Unveil 20-Year, $300M Deal With ESPN For Longhorn Network
Published January 19, 2011

Thanks for adding. Premise here is all things relevant to realignment AND UConn's big events timeline mixed in. To see how it overlays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom